Author Topic: Never off-lead U/D on long line  (Read 6181 times)

Offline mandyg

Re: Never off-lead
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 08:10:21 PM »
Hi, I completely understand how you feel - we let Ruby (also 4 months) off her lead for the first time on Sunday, on a beach near us which was quite busy because of the recent good weather and I was really worried what would happen.  So much so that I couldn't actually "unclip" her, my hubby had to do it, but she was fantastic.  She rarely went more than a few feet away from us, came back when we shouted or whistled and didn't even head for the water (although I think that was pure luck ;)).  I was so proud of her and everyone was stopping and fussing her and she was good as gold.  I really couldn't believe it as we haven't done any proper training with her, just a few commands which she sometimes responds to and sometimes doesn't, depending on her mood  :005:.

Anyway, I would say take someone with you who can run fast and hope for the best.  Ollie will love you for it! :D

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 09:57:36 AM »
Shouldn't he be better trained before he goes off-lead? He does not have a recall really, so he's danger to himself.

but he has to be offlead so you can teach the recall first. Recall at home and recall in the park are totally different things. Hurley has the best recall in the house, he is ok(ish) in the park, but even if he does run off, he always comes back - his biggest fear is being left behind The best time to teach recall is when they are puppies and don't want to leave your side and you have handfuls of tasty sausages!!!! As soon as any dog hits adolescence it becomes much much harder.

IMO all puppies, should be let off the lead on their first trip out. It's really not fair on the dog to condemn it to a lifetime on the lead because you're too frightened to trust them.......

Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »
I agree, with cockers needing to run.
We let Roxy off from day 1. Her first ever walk was off lead. As long as you are commited to training first and foremost recall then you shouldn't have a problem in future. You can always use a long line  ;) Are there any tennis/basketball courts locally where you can let him off? That way you can let him run off lead where it is fairly secure without worrying he'll run off. There you can also test his recall to see how he reacts?
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 01:03:42 PM »
I had a lot of baggage from a previous dog owning experience when we got Molo - including seeing my previous dog jump off a railway bridge to avoid an oncoming train, losing her within spitting distance of the M25 and ultimately, her tragically killing a domestic cat that was in the field we were exercising in  :'( - and so I didn't let Molo off lead when he was a young puppy - and it is my very biggest regret  :(

It took me over a year of long-line training when he was older to undo the damage that my (understandable) paranoia had caused.....time I would far rather have spent enjoying my young dog, rather than feeling as if I would never be able to let him off  :'(

I know it is scary, but try to find somewhere secure - if it makes you feel more comfortable then pay for use of a fenced paddock or tennis court - and let him off as soon as you possibly can. 

Don't mistake a puppies desire to be close to you with recall though - make sure that you do "train" recall to a whistle or command, even though he may happily stay by your side at the moment, in a few months he may go through a challenging phase and a well trained and established recall will be impossible to train, then  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 01:12:43 PM »
Don't mistake a puppies desire to be close to you with recall though - make sure that you do "train" recall to a whistle or command, even though he may happily stay by your side at the moment, in a few months he may go through a challenging phase and a well trained and established recall will be impossible to train, then  ;)

I agree, mostly they stick with you as they're scared they may lose you but then as they get older they get more confidence and so want to go further on thier own. While you're teachign recall also find different strategies as they get complacent plus you need to make sure they come back/away from whatever in an emergency.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 02:16:59 PM »
Jesse was also off lead from day one and has never caused any problems! If you are not sure about the recall though I would not let him off in a park with exits onto roads so close! Stick to the country park until you are 100% sure that he won't make his way onto the roads!

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 04:54:16 PM »
He does have a long line and an extendable lead, so I don't see what the difference is between that and off-lead (except safety). Isn't it safer that a dog is on a long lead and under control, than a dog off-lead? He loves running about on his long lead / extendable and he gets the same running around time and space as he would off-lead, just I have control of him.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 05:02:34 PM »
He does have a long line and an extendable lead, so I don't see what the difference is between that and off-lead (except safety). Isn't it safer that a dog is on a long lead and under control, than a dog off-lead? He loves running about on his long lead / extendable and he gets the same running around time and space as he would off-lead, just I have control of him.

but he is only a puppy. I have an extendi lead, and I have a long line and there is now way he has the same amount of space as when he is off lead.

I agree, that you need to have control  of him, and that can be taught but you are making a rod for your own back the longer you leave it. What happens if he accidentally slips his collar and runs off - and you can't get him back because you never taught him a strong recall.  :huh: :huh:

Leaving him onlead can lead to a load of problems with other dogs because he will find it hard to exhibit and learn natural dog communication skills if he has a lead limiting what he can/can't do. He may become dog aggressive or reactive because you are limiting the flight response.....

Im sorry if this offends you but I actually think you are being really unfair by condeming your dog to a lifetime of onlead walks.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=49319.msg700226#msg700226 this was posted today and shows how it only becomes harder the longer you leave it

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 05:11:27 PM »
The long line that we have is too heavy for him to carry with it trailing on the ground. I did think about doing that, but the clip is like the size of his head. LOL. We'd all feel MUCH happier having a long line to trail behind him. It's just that he's so small and can run fast that we don't think we can catch him if he runs off, but with a long line, it's much better. What long lines do you use that would be suitable?

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2008, 05:15:58 PM »
The long line that we have is too heavy for him to carry with it trailing on the ground. I did think about doing that, but the clip is like the size of his head. LOL. We'd all feel MUCH happier having a long line to trail behind him. It's just that he's so small and can run fast that we don't think we can catch him if he runs off, but with a long line, it's much better. What long lines do you use that would be suitable?

You could make your own with a long piece of thin rope and a clip. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2008, 05:19:47 PM »
http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/longline.php

I got my longline from the Company of Animals (link above) and it was fine although with a longline you MUST use a harness, not a normal collar else it could damage the dog's neck....

Used properly a long line is BRILLIANT for teaching recall. When Hurley was a puppy he was crate & house confined from the age of 6 months to 12 months and we had to teach recall using a longline as his was pretty awful. It can take time but as he is only a puppy he will learn so quickly (although it can become a little testing when they hit adoloscence!)

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2008, 05:35:21 PM »
That's almost identical to the one we have, so I'll just get a harness for him.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »
Use the long line and - he'll be fine  ;)

We'll be expecting updates!!!!  ;)

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2008, 06:11:22 PM »
I never go on a walk without treats and a 'dummy' both of which are Bellas two favorite things. The dummy is her special toy for walks, when we get home it gets put away. Every walk i call bella back at regular intervals and treat - either food or a fuss, if she decides were going one way for a walk i go the other - keep her guessing, if she goes too far in front i either hide or turn round and run (that's my favorite) she catches me up so quickly.
As for going in the lake when bella was younger i was forever dragging her out of the canal, now she has learnt which bits she can get in and out of.
Good luck.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2008, 06:15:33 PM »
He does have a long line and an extendable lead, so I don't see what the difference is between that and off-lead (except safety). Isn't it safer that a dog is on a long lead and under control, than a dog off-lead?

Yes, it is much less risky to do this, but dog ownership is about managing risk, as it is never possible to avoid all together  ;)   A dog that is not used to being off lead is far more likely to bolt if they slip their collar for instance, than a dog that is trained to respond to commands on and off lead in a variety of situations  ;)

The longer you leave it before you take that lead off, the harder it will be (I know, I've been there) - and it is quite possible to hire an enclosed court, or a fenced paddock in order for you to gain the confidence you need and realise that you won't lose control of him, and he won't become a little dot disappearing on the horizon  ;)

Don't miss out on those few weeks where you are the centre of his world and he will do anything to be close to you and please you - puppies want to stay close to the things that make them feel safe; he trusts you, and won't run away from the only things that are familiar to him  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club