Author Topic: Zombie needs help  (Read 4427 times)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Zombie needs help
« on: June 08, 2004, 09:10:08 AM »
Our second night with Abby has been a nightmare, how can something so tiny create so much noise for so long?? :?

We are ignoring her as best we can but she sets Billy off barking and then this morning one of our neighbours approached me :shock: she wasn't horrible she was very understanding it just that her 16 year old son is about to sit his exams and Abby kept him awake last night :cry:

We are putting her to bed about 11 but she cried last night until 1am, she then settled for an hour and then woke up again and that was the pattern all night until 5.15 when she came into bed with me.

So any hints or tips, suggestions I am trying to remember what those puppy soother things are called (forgive the description I am shattered) I think it is a pad that simulates Mum????

Michelle                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Zombie needs help
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 09:17:49 AM »
Oh dear Michelle!  I am sure Abby will settle down soon, but in the meantime,  you could always get a big sock, fill it with rags, so its really soft, tie it securely at the end, get yours and Davids scent on it, and put that in with her at night, it may help :?   You could also try a ticking clock, or having the radio on low in the backgroud too!

Good luck with it, I am sure she will get better with time :D                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Zombie needs help
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 09:21:17 AM »
Poor you Michelle  :shock:

I think the thing your talking about is a "Snugglepuppy"  :?:  you can get them from Petpack one of the rotating banner's at the top of the forum. I'm not sure if they work but Gill maybe able to tell you as I'm sure she had one for Vegas  :wink:
Where does Billy sleep normally  :?:  And can you move Abby to a room further away from your neighbours  :?: Butty cried when she was a baby too...not sure what my neighbours thought of that (like I care  :lol:  :lol: ) :twisted: and I refrained as much as I could from going down to her as hard as it seemed. If you've got her crated at night another option maybe to take the crate to your room  :?:
I must admit I'm a firm believer in "start as you mean to go on"...but unfortunately it doesn't always work that way  :roll:  there was NO way that Butty was allowed upstairs or in our bedroom as my hubby just wouldn't allow it  :roll: she now has the run of the house day and night..and when hubby is nightshift she sleeps with her mummy  :wink:
One thing to try is to go to bed later...sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't...for us it did...but it did mean staying up to about 1.30am but we got about 5 hours sleep that way...and then gradually made the bedtime earlier and earlier. You maybe tired for a few days but it's worth a try  :)
By the way Abby is beautiful  :)                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Zombie needs help
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 09:46:50 AM »
Thanks Gilly,

I know it is early days and I really want to start as I mean to go on and that is crated in the kitchen :roll: In her crate she has a blanket which has her mums scent and her teddy, a pair of David's old socks and a couple of kongs/nylabone? I have left her this morning to come into work for 3 hours I will be home by 11.20, so I have left the radio on for her and she did seem much calmer :roll:  I will try the going to bed later as well, dont mind when I sleep as long as I sleep :wink:

Thanks for your help

Michelle                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Zombie needs help
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 09:56:28 AM »
Awww Michele, i do hope little Abbey settles down soon for you, and you manage to get some sleep.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Zombie needs help
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 10:09:11 AM »
HI Michelle!

Sorry to hear of your sleep deprivation, it's like having a real newborn baby when you bring a pup home, you feel cream crackered!! :lol:

I have always kept mine in the kitchen at night, not that I would'nt want a little warm body to cuddle up to, just hubby's rules, but I know of people that let their pup sleep in a crate at the side of the bed for a few weeks, to soothe them and take them for a wee in the night, this seems to work for them, and then some have sucessfully transfered them to the kitchen a little later on.

I know the old saying start as you mean to go on and I do believe in it but sometimes ( for sanity's sake ) we have to bend these rules!! :lol:  :wink:

Any way whatever you do I hope she settles down soon!

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Zombie needs help
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 01:25:41 PM »
Hi Michelle

Do you have Billy and Abby together at night.  It might help her settle more.  I know that you will probably be a bit worried but when I brought Bart home he wouldn't settle unless he was with Sebastian.

HTH and congratulations                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Zombie needs help
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 01:31:33 PM »
Poor You :( Can't really add anything to the list apart from a DAP diffuser but with having a blanket from mum should have worked.

Try and stick with it though. It might only last a couple of nights!                    
Anita

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Zombie needs help
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 01:44:44 PM »
Hi Michelle

Do you have Billy and Abby together at night.  It might help her settle more.  I know that you will probably be a bit worried but when I brought Bart home he wouldn't settle unless he was with Sebastian.

HTH and congratulations

Dessie,

Billy is still at the ignoring or low growling stage with her? also when she cries he barks?

The plan for tonight is I am going to stay up as late as possible with her and have a mad half hour play so she is shattered and also I have got hold of a teddy bear with a hot water bottle inside so that is going into her crate along with an old alarm clock :shock: at this rate I won't be able to put her in the crate for all the stuff to help keep her quiet :roll:

Michelle                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Zombie needs help
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 02:18:57 PM »
Hi Michelle,

I remember the zombified days well :wink:  :lol:  I got the snuggle puppy and think its great. Its got a little heat pad thing in it and you can make the heart beat so that it reminds them of mum. I got it a bit late for Vegas but used it when i brought Dallas home - he was certainly a lot more settled in the night than his terror of a big brother was :twisted:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Zombie needs help
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 02:30:28 PM »
Hi Michelle,

I remember the zombified days well :wink:  :lol:  I got the snuggle puppy and think its great. Its got a little heat pad thing in it and you can make the heart beat so that it reminds them of mum. I got it a bit late for Vegas but used it when i brought Dallas home - he was certainly a lot more settled in the night than his terror of a big brother was :twisted:

Gill,

Where did you get it? I have tried petpack but it doesn't come up with it when I search? and the only others I can find are in the states and they take about 28 days, to go that long without sleep ................ :? I will try my home made version tonight but if anybody can find the real thing in the uk that would be great.

Michelle                    

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Zombie needs help
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 02:34:01 PM »
I can sympathise.....our nights are just settling down and we have had Lottie home for a week.
I found she settles much happier when she is close to our other dog.
Also, I had been snuggling her up in blankets etc, but I think with the warm weather she was getting too hot.
I also try going to bed later, which definitely helps.
I had tried playing with her for half hour or so just before bed, but actually I found this got her very excitable and unable to settle.
I now let her snuggle up on my lap or foot and transfer her to her bed, she doesnt make any fuss that way.
I usually have to get up once in the night to her, but just settle her very quickly and she sleeps until early morning.
Good luck and I hope you have lots of good nights to come.                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Zombie needs help
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 03:59:43 PM »
Oh poor you Michelle! Sorry I've no tip's to give other than those that have been sugested already but hope Abbey settles down for a good night's sleep soon. :wink:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Zombie needs help
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 05:18:28 PM »
Hi Michele,

I got mine from PetPack :?  Can't remember seeing it on any other sites I've been on - have you checked PetPlanet? If you have no joy, you can always borrow mine as I won't need it for a while yet :wink:

Edited to add that I found a catalogue at work today that you may be able to get one from. I'm not sure if they are just wholesale or not but your vet may have an account with them.  They were called Pet Tags but i think they have just changed their name. The number i have for them is 01325 282188.  But like I said earlier, you are more than welcome to borrow mine if you don't want to buy one.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Zombie needs help
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 06:53:35 PM »
I remember it well - Morgan was a nightmare for weeks.  He had a hotwater bottle (just lukewarm water) and a clock in his crate, as well as a smelly towel from his mother  :lol:   No way would he settle.  We had earplugs in the end and thankfully don't have neighbours as such.

I really feel for you Michelle - don't know where you'd find a snuggle pup but I think borrowing Gill's would be worth a shot.  It's heartbreaking to listen to them and also a strain when you're not getting any sleep :? .  Are you against taking the crate into the bedroom?  I found this helped with Cooper - just a thought!  :wink:

Hope things improve soon, I'm sure they will  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys