Author Topic: Could this be a problem?  (Read 803 times)

Offline little_jack

Could this be a problem?
« on: November 01, 2008, 01:58:10 PM »
Hi everyone

Bit of an odd question here. We are in a position where someone is always in so Jack is never left alone for long. He is left for 10 mins every morning and the odd couple of mins if someone goes upstairs. There have been a couple of occasions when he has been left with a kong and some toys in the kitchen for about an hour (didnt really seem like he had any issues with this). I just wondered if this could lead to problems in the future? Even though it is possible for Jack to not be left alone, would it be an idea to do it anyway to get him used to being left? Thanks

Kayli

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Could this be a problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »
if it was me i would get him used to being left alone. You never know what going to happen in the future or in an emergency.

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:09:56 PM »
I agree. I would get him used to being left for 3-4 hours as you never know when you might happen!
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline janall

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »
I leave our nine week old Peppa alone in the utiltity room while I get on with some housework  otherwise I would never get any work done and she has to learn anyway to be left so is good practice.  When I go out she is put into her cage while our older cocker is on her bed in the utility room with her so they are together but apart - if you get my meaning.  ( When Peppa ios on her own in there she prefers to sleep in the other dog's bed and not her cage !)  the only dilemma I have is sometimes she can hear me moving about and she whines ...now is she whining because she's shut away or is she whining because she wants to toilet?  I try and guage how long since she has been outside whether it's that or not as I don't want her to whine just because she wants to come out  - in other words I'm the boss ...leastways trying to be !!
'Dogs were born with three legs and a spare'

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 04:19:40 PM »
Definitely try to build up the time.  Even though I am often home all day I try and find things to do that take me away from the house, could be as simple as going to the supermarket, running an errand etc.  Where possible I do try to leave Harvey every day that we are home and it seems to be working, from what we can work out he seems to use the time to catch up on some sleep on the couch, occasionally I come home to something shredded but not often.  We did use to crate Harvey until he learned to escape  >:D which was when we found he liked to be on the couch where he can watch the world go by... We just use the same words each time and give him the same treat for consistency so he always knows we are coming back.

Offline little_jack

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 04:44:22 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Will definitely start leaving him alone regularly to get him used to it, will do a bit each day and gradually build it up.

Kayli