Author Topic: rehoming Oliver  (Read 13773 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: rehoming Oliver
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 05:29:25 PM »
Rachel and others have given good advice here I think.

It sounds to me, having followed all your threads, that you and your family really didn't know what you were letting yourselves in for.  That's not meant as a criticism by the way.  It's so easy to imagine what something will be like and it turns out completely differently. I'd wanted a pup all my life, but decided not to get one until I had the time to devote to it. I read so many books and did so much research before I got Chloe, but NONE of it prepared me for the reality of her!

You seemed to be doing so well with Ollie recently, try not to let another set-back upset you too much.  Ollie is just a pup, as everyone keeps saying to you.  What I can't understand is why you don't take him to classes/training etc?  You live in London don't you? Surely you have access to some down there?  I live on Skye and have no access to classes or a trainer otherwise I would have had Chloe signed up before I even got her.  Get as much help as you can, but if you definitely decide you can't cope...which would be a shame...then follow the advice from others on here as to what steps to take.

Sue

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »
I have to agree with most of the posters too I am afraid :'(. You probably feel right now that people are not on your side, but everyone has really tried hard to help with your problems as they have arisen. I and all the posters know pups can be frustrating, annoying and damned hard work, in return for this they give you love, happiness and never ending loyalty, but it does take time, and that is what you and your family have to be prepared for.

All puppies look cute, and cuddly and very small, but you have to be prepared for all the hard work involved in bringing them up/training them, call it what you will cos at the end of the day you are caring for a baby and as such they know nothing and depend on you to teach them the way to go.

I have a bunny too in a run, and yes Katie did bark when she first saw him, but I took her mind off bunny with a game of football, each time we went outside she was allowed to look and then her attention was focused on the game, now she does not even bother with the rabbit only to go up and say 'hello'.

I do hope you and the family decide that Ollie is worth persevering(sp) with, but if not, please do take the advice of other posters in regard to rehoming the little man. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 05:45:45 PM »
if I lived near I would come and give you a helping hand to see what the situation really is like (as it's hard to know from the typed word) and would help you anyway I could and if that meant re - homing Oliver then I would suggest in the first instance you contact the breeder and take it from there - if the breeder didn't want to know (which I hope they would want to help you) I would be inclined to PM 'Cotswold girl'  ot 'Big Jim' on here and ask for there advice as to which would be the best rescue to contact to make sure he went to a forever loving home

People have offered you some good advice - BUT only you and your family can decide what to do

I wish you and Oliver all the best  :D

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 06:16:09 PM »
We have contacted some trainers, and I've found one that's sort of close by that sounds ok. I've told her about the difficulties we are having, and she sounds like she knows what's she doing, so we'll take him to that to see what we can do.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 06:18:16 PM »
We have contacted some trainers, and I've found one that's sort of close by that sounds ok. I've told her about the difficulties we are having, and she sounds like she knows what's she doing, so we'll take him to that to see what we can do.

Great news...hope all goes well!

Sue

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline PennyB

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 06:29:45 PM »
Its great if you find a good trainer you can work with.

As others suggest Ollie is quite a normal puppy really and no different than quite a lot at the same age whether they are cockers or not.

Our rescue sees many pups given up because of the unrealistic expectations of how they should be --- some pups are better than others but I've found from experience you can't go wrong if you have a good trainer to help you out.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 06:32:49 PM »

Me too  ph34r sorry but you do seem to be a bit out of your depth and you dont seem to be taking on board what people have said time and time again "he is only a puppy" and he is only doing what puppies do and will continue to do until you teach him otherwise  :-\ we have all had some of the same problems with our puppies but i do have to say most people accept them for what they are ..puppy behaviour...and either teach the puppy a better behaviour or wait knowing that the behaviour will pass  :huh:
  to be totally honest you will have this puppy for the next 10-15 years and in all that time you will still come across problems with an adult dog...yes they will be a little calmer and more responsive to you but that only comes from the training you put in   ;)
If my 2 year old dog was presented with a run full of rabbits she would bark from excitment/curiosity because they would be a new thing to her  :-\ ...it doesnt stop once they pass the puppy stage and you really have yet to get to the worst stage of the terrible teens  ph34r
i suppose you need to speak to your family to see if they can commit another 10/15 years to Oliver..if not then perhaps he would be better with someone who can

Offline PennyB

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 06:41:48 PM »

If my 2 year old dog was presented with a run full of rabbits she would bark from excitment/curiosity because they would be a new thing to her  :-\ ...it doesnt stop once they pass the puppy stage and you really have yet to get to the worst stage of the terrible teens  ph34r

Mine still chase the cats sometimes --- its a bit of a game --- but they all get on (but I do also make sure the cats have a haven away from the dogs if they want it).

Sometimes you have to change how you do things as you can't always expect everything to work well --- I know some expect to be able to leave all sorts of items on the floor and want the pup/dog to differentiate as to what's theirs when really they should think about tidying up the stuff away from them in the 1st place or wrok extremely hard to change things as to how they want them
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 06:50:51 PM »
Glad you have found a trainer. I hope they can help and that things get sorted. Sometimes practical, hands on advice can be really helpful and help you put the advice people are giving in context. Wishing you the best of luck.
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2008, 07:01:40 PM »
Thanks. He has so much energy that I think a run would be better than a walk, but it's all on hard pavements. Would this be advisable?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 07:13:02 PM »
Thanks. He has so much energy that I think a run would be better than a walk, but it's all on hard pavements. Would this be advisable?

No, you can damage his joints if you run with him at such a young age  :-\

His energy is not unusual in a working cocker, even in adults of all ages; they can run all day and still want more, so exercise isn't the answer - they need to be mentally challenged as well  ;)

Simple things can make a huge difference - pop a few treats into an egg box, or plastic bottle and watch him have fun getting it out, play hide and seek with him, and give him loads of problems to solve and get him involved in an activity you can learn together; basic obedience at this age provides an excellent grounding and by going to a class, your trainer can help you stretch him and keep his brain working  ;)

This is something you need to commit to for life - he won't suddenly become a couch potato when he is 12 months old; different breeds of dog have very different needs and you have chosen a breed which needs to be kept thinking to keep them out of trouble  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 07:25:59 PM »
I'll do the treats with the egg box. I think he'll find it fun, as he's very treat-motivated. With hide-and-seek with treats, do I direct him and command him to treats, or leave him to find them himself?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 07:33:45 PM »
I'll do the treats with the egg box. I think he'll find it fun, as he's very treat-motivated. With hide-and-seek with treats, do I direct him and command him to treats, or leave him to find them himself?

Like with everything at first, you have to teach him how to play the game; start by hiding them while he sees you do it, and then ask him to "find it" (or similar command), guiding him to them at first, until he realises that the word "find it" means that there are treats, and then gradually progress to hiding them while he is out of the room and making him really work for them  ;)
Oldies Club

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »
I agree with all the advice given....but having taken on two working cocker pups we were totally prepared for the energy and time needed with them.  We don't have rabbits as pets but our cottage backs onto open fields full of them and our neighbours chickens run free......which they do chase.

Have you considered re homing the rabbits !.........far easier to re home than a 5 month pup.   Olivers needs should be priority and if you are feeling stressed he will pick up on this.  People are not being hard on you but pups need to be pups and not punished for something that is bred into them.  :luv:

Maybe you have to face the fact that a new home may be better for him.....please take everyones advice and look for a sensible home if this is your decision.
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 07:47:25 PM »
Have you considered re homing the rabbits !.........far easier to re home than a 5 month pup.   Olivers needs should be priority and if you are feeling stressed he will pick up on this.  

:o :o  OMG - poor rabbits  :o  :o

Why should the needs of the new pet be put before the needs of the established pets?  :'(   It is quite possible for them to live together safely with a bit of effort put in - giving up any animal should be a last resort, not something that is done for convenience in order to accommodate a newer, more appealing pet  :huh:

It is just as hard to find suitable homes for rabbits as it is puppies - and like dogs, there are thousands in rescues up and down the UK and more still pts each year because they are unwanted  :-\
Oldies Club