Author Topic: Can someone answer a ? 30+ FTCH - What does it mean  (Read 11511 times)

Offline loublou1

Can someone answer a ? 30+ FTCH - What does it mean
« on: October 29, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »
Have been looking at getting a cocker for a while now and am hopefully going to look at some on Saturday and it says hes got an excellent pedigree (32 FTCH)in his K.C pedigree.

Can someone explain this to me please.

Thanks

Lou ::)

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Can someone answer a ? 30+ FTCH - What does it mean
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »
Ftch stands for field trial champion  ;)
It means it will be a working cocker and you really should research the difference between working and show cockers if you havn't allready.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 02:58:03 PM »
It meand that he has 32 Field trail champions in his ancesters. It means that he will have high working drive and is a working cocker. I'd suggest if you are not wanting to work him that he will be a real handfull, too much for a pet.
Also, where have you seen him advertised? They shouldn't need to put that in the ad.

ETA: Written at the ame time.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline loublou1

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:58:16 PM »
Ooh thanks - I have done research into the 2 and have decided on a working cocker,  so is 32 ftch a good thing then.

Lou

Offline loublou1

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 02:59:29 PM »
Coco

I have been going through the kennel club breeders list - he was on there

Lou

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 03:00:28 PM »
Only if you are going to work the dog. Otherwise he will be too much IMO. Do you plan on working him, do you work full time? Do you live near lots of open spaces?

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 03:02:13 PM »
Coco

I have been going through the kennel club breeders list - he was on there

Lou

That doesn't really mean too much TBH. It's not so much about the breeder really, more if the pup is right for you.

Offline loublou1

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »
How does one know if a puppy is right for them.  We had a working cocker to stay whilst his owners were on hols and he was a dream dog - did everything he was told etc.  Didnt like the dishwasher though lol.   in your opinion what should we be on the look out for.

Thanks

Lou

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »
The million dollar question!!  :D
No one know what dog is right for them when trying to pick it as a puppy, it's very difficult but looking at the pedigree gives a good idea of how the dog will turn out in term of drive.
A working cocker that comes from a long history of FTCHs i going to have a lot of inherient working drive. I guess some of those 32 will be the same dog on either side and it makes a difference how close they are to the pup or how far back in the pedigree thay are. Of course it's no gurantee but the chances are it will be very, very active and need A LOT of stimulation, without this it could become bored and create problems such as chewing n the house etc. Working cockers can make good pets but if that's the case I suggest getting one that has not been bread from such strong working lines. There are plenty of responsibly bread (ish) working cockers that have come from less FTCH oriented breeders. This pup has been bread to work or atleast it's parents were.

Also, take a working cocker and x20 for the stamina and activity of a working cocker puppy!!  :005:

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 03:19:28 PM »
Him doing everything he was told probably took years of training.
If i was you I would sit down and write a realistic honest list about what you want from a dog, what time you can give and what training you can provide then look at what breeds fit what you want  

Offline loublou1

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 03:31:19 PM »
I am at home all day and we live near loads of open countryside, I will start training the pup as soon as I can at home and then as soon as he has had jabs, I will take him to training classes.

Thanks all
Lou

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »
That sounds like a good start  :D You'll need to devote a lot of time to training and exercise as he get older, maybe 3 hr a day, much off lead. If you think that sounds do-able you may be ok. You'ld probably have to overcome a strong hunting type drive i.e. bogging off after birds and rabbits but that's similar with any dog, his stubborness may be stronger though.
See how the litter is and make sure you explain your lifestyle, expectations etc to the breeder, if they're worth their salt they won't let you go wrong. Be realistic though.

Has the litter come from healh tested parents?

Offline loublou1

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 03:58:35 PM »
I believe they are health tested - will know more at the weekend.  Its hard taking everything in and getting advice from all directions.

Thanks

Lou

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 04:08:07 PM »
Yes, its incredibly hard taking everything in. Before I got Chloe, I did SOOO much research and read loads of books and felt I was going crazy with so much conflicting advice out there! Wish I'd have known about the COL forum at that time! Chloe comes from a long line of working dogs, no champions though, and she is a real handful. If I had an OH, or kids, or a job, I'm not at all sure that I would be able to handle her. Anyway, you won't go far wrong if you take on board the advice of all the experienced folk on this forum

Sue

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »
I agree, there seems to be so much to do/know/ask when you are getting a puppy! I have a working cocker, I don't work him but we do flyball to use up some of his energy and give him something fun to do. I would say he gets about 2 hours walk a day. Hes a perfect pet really (except for the bogging off after scents, which to be fair he has improved LOADS on), couldn't fault him.  :luv:
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x