Author Topic: blue roan changing colour  (Read 13890 times)

Offline sweeps mum

• Site Member
    • http://
blue roan changing colour
« on: July 26, 2004, 08:30:04 PM »
Our blue roan boy Sweep is now five and a half months old and has become increasingly darker as time has gone on. When we look at photos of him at 8 weeks he was mostly grey but now he's lost his white star and is almost black all over. Is this usual? Will he akter in colour again?                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 08:45:22 PM »
It's funny you should say that, as we were looking at photo's of Molly as a puppy at the weekend and she was very pale on her body, with a few black patches, and now she is very dark blue roan, very lovely I might add!  :wink:

So I'm not sure all pup's do this but Molly did! :lol:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 09:27:15 PM »
Cooper is 7 months and the same thing has happened with him  :wink:   Once the the puppy fluff is stripped out you will be able to see sweeps markings clearly again.  I spent about an hour stripping the fluff out of Cooper's head yesterday (while he slept  :roll:  :)  ) and his star has reappeared.  It takes a long time and if I hadn't had the chance to watch Gilly in action (she started off his head for me) I'd still be pulling like a sissy  :lol:  :lol:   We're getting there now though!  :)  Sweep will soon have his lovely roan colouring back   :P                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 09:57:32 PM »
Another Chameleon blue-roan owner here. Pickle was pale grey when he was teeny, and had clear black patches on his back. He's now 9 months, and when he needs a haircut he looks like a black dog, as his fluff grows in very dark and covers up all the silvery tones.
He's been to the groomer today, and what a transformation! He's silvery grey again, with his lovely black patches back on display!
So, in total agreement with Shirley - the roan colouring will still be there, it's just hiding under the puppy coat  :wink:
Emma and silvery-grey Pickle xx                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 10:05:56 PM »
Can only reiterate what's been said. Had the same with Jasper :lol:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 11:11:20 PM »
We have seen Molo's colour change in the 4 weeks since we first 'met' him  :o .

We had a preference for a 'Dark' roan (although to be honest, I would have been happy with any colour, even purple, as long as he was healthy and happy  :lol: ) and the breeder advised us not to look at the puppy fur, cos when they are tiny they are very light, but to look at the skin pigment under the fur as this gives a better idea of final hair colour. Molo has dark skin on his tummy, and sure enough the white fur he had under there at 4 weeks has changed to a really dark colour over the last four weeks.

You can also see a difference in his facial fur if you compare the 6 week and 8 week piccies in  the gallery.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he will change over the next few months!                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 11:40:53 PM »
we noticed that bellas fur dident stop changing colour till nearly a year so hes probably just a very dark blue roan ,i think they call this steel grey ?
Blue roan pups always start out mainly white with a few black patches  and get darker as they get older some end up light some really dark like my girl .
Once his puppy fluff comes out you will probably see sweep has lovely markings but still the lovely deep colour  :wink:
This is bella when she was 7 months or so old  http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/photo/New-R...ad_hair_day_001
 :shock:  she had terrible fluff at that age as you can see  :roll:
and How she turned out after all that  :lol:
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/photo/Parti...olours/scan0005                    

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 03:17:46 PM »
This is normal - the roans always darken as they mature.  Our Gem was white all over except for a black spot near her tail and one on her head - now she is nicely roaned all over and has black legs!                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 04:55:58 PM »
I love the black legs, Linda......Molo's sire has these, and they also run through the males on his dames side too; they are such a rich colour, almost like velvet - beautiful!                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2004, 04:56:49 PM »
Hi

Just wanted to say that it's the same for oranges too.  Molly was almost entirely white with orange ears when we got her at 7 weeks but now (a year later) she has a lot of roaning on her back and gorgeous orange freckles on her face.  Beautiful  :lol:  but then I would say that :D

Cheers

Tracey & Molly                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 05:20:02 PM »
Silas has really darkened too.He's 16 weeks now and is almost entirely black apart from a bit of grey on his legs and bum!!He did start off life with just a black patch on one shoulder and one on his back just above his tail.Cant wait to see what the grown up version will look like.                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline Becky

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 06:34:42 PM »
Ollie, our orange roan, is now 10 weeks and is much darker than when he was born.  His colours have been getting visibly darker and more widespread by the day, and I expect he will carry on altering as he matures.  He looks gorgeous though, and I can't wait to see what he'll look like when he's a 'man'. :D                    
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 08:53:54 AM »
I love the black legs, Linda......Molo's sire has these, and they also run through the males on his dames side too; they are such a rich colour, almost like velvet - beautiful!

Hi Rachel
I agree with you about the black legs and it does seem to be prevalent in certain lines I've noticed! Wonder who Molo's sire was and whether there is a common denominator?  Gem's are inherited from her sire's line was Reinots Renoir JW but he goes back to Avandora Ladykiller.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 09:24:18 AM »
I love the black legs too :) They are often seen in the Bitcon line & also in lines which go back to Cilleine Echelon - Hightrees breeding lies behind most Bitcons & also Echelon so this could be the common denominator maybe (think I'm right that there will be a lot of Bitcon in Molo's pedigree?)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 09:28:45 AM »
I love the black legs too :) They are often seen in the Bitcon line

It's where Jasper's comes from - I've looked through his predecessors and you can see the colour pattern coming through :wink:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional