Author Topic: ollie went off lead today!!!! U/D Change of heart  (Read 9834 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: ollie went off lead today!!!! U/D Change of heart
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2009, 04:02:15 PM »
Sorry Laura, yes I did read your post, perhaps I didn't fully clock that Ollie had been allowed so much freedom. Good on ya! Now all you have to do is take the long line off....if he goes that far away anyway, just dispense with it! Anyway, its all so much better than yesterday...and each day will get better and better  :luv: You put a vid on here a while ago, showing his recall in the garden..., he obviously knows whats expected of him, its just a matter of building it up  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2009, 04:02:34 PM »
Just adding my bit. I use a long line to test foster dogs recall and to work on my own dogs if its slacked off and yes they have some freedom with it (I use a 30ft line) but its nothing compared to proper free running. I'd say they go about 30% slower with it than without and tends to annoy them by getting in between their legs. Tbh if a dog decides to ignore you and run off a 10m long line isnt going to help you much anyway!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2009, 04:05:24 PM »
Maybe you should just tie a 10 metre rope around your own neck and try running through a park or some woods and see if it feels any different  :huh:  :shades:
Julie and Watson

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
the dog still feels the long line and drag and knows it's attached even when you're not holding it.

if he was being so good, why didn't you take the long lead off for a few mins?

Yes you are being very controlling and TBH I don't think that's a good basis for working WITH your dog...
helen & jarvis x

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2009, 04:49:11 PM »
Why is it so important? So what if he never goes completely off-lead? He's getting exercise, exhibits natural behaviours, enjoys himself and has great fun. Why is everyone criticising me for giving him that?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2009, 04:52:28 PM »
Maybe you should just tie a 10 metre rope around your own neck and try running through a park or some woods and see if it feels any different  :huh:  :shades:

Just try it and see if you can still honestly say you are giving him freedom  :shades:

I am bowing out of this now as you are clearly not prepared to listen and this thread is just going in circles.  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2009, 04:55:01 PM »
Laura, some people are criticising you...I can see that...but most of us are really trying to help you understand that Ollie will not reach his full potential if you don't let him be totally free! All the reasons and explanations have been outlined in everyone's posts. Its up to you now. We've all told you what the difference is. I have serious concerns about the way some people have spoken to you...if I had been spoken to like that, I would have probably left the forum. But....I do believe most people are just trying to help you.

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »
What does it matter if it "feels different"? He doesn't know, so he just puts up with what he's given and gets the best out of it, which is a lot of happiness at being able to run and explore.

ETA: Yes, I know, and thanks for the help, but I've made up my mind.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2009, 04:58:40 PM »
OK time for the padlock I'm afraid - the thread is just going round in ever-decreasing circles with the same points being made over and over again.