Author Topic: Your opinion please  (Read 2039 times)

Offline claire42

Your opinion please
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:15:52 AM »
  I spent most of yesterday on the internet looking in to behaviour experts for dogs, Spencer did great at puppy training, but as someone said on a previous post the angelic goodness seemed to all but dissapear when he hit 5-6 months. My problem with him his recall and I think this may be me making a bigger issue out of it than need be but he has really knocked my confidence after loosing him again last Thursday >:D >:D After reading through many sites I found a few that looked ideal, so far 2 have phoned me back, the first is a company called bark busters who take a one off payment and will come out to you for up to 12 months, they want £240!! and will deal with as many problems as you have, the 2nd is a local man who charges £40 a visit. Do these prices seem a bit crazy to you or do you think it will be a good investment? Also with recall is it something I could do without any help, do you think he will grow out of the running away ( mainly runs off to play with other dogs, but sometimes they can be so far away they are only just visible to me!!!) Sorry this goes on a bit, but really want this sorted so we can enjoy walking again.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Your opinion please
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:27:15 AM »
I would steer clear of any commercial franchises such as barkbusters - if you do a Google search, you'll find quite a few forums where they've been discussed and not very favourably ;) Your best bet would be to find an APDT trainer who does one-to-one visits : http://www.apdt.co.uk/local_dog_trainers.asp
Jane

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »
I may be wrong, but I think Bark Busters is a franchise organistion, and doesn't require its franchise holders to have any appropriate qualifications (I think there needs to be an interest in dogs....  ::) ) - it's not something I would give money to!!  ;)

Recall is possible to teach without expert input (doing a search here on recall will give you lots of hints), but if you have lost your confidence, a couple of 1:1 sessions with a APDT registered trainer.  It certainly shouldn't cost you £240 for this!!!  :o  The £40 sounds like a behaviourist level of charge - I would imagine all you really need is some training rather than a behavioural assessment...  Did you do any puppy classes with Spencer?? It's worth giving the same classes a ring to see if they offer any 1:1 training (assuming you were happy with the classes!).

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:33:42 AM »
Choose with care, is all I can say. 
APDT is a good route to go down to find local trainers.  Agree, you will probably find lots of useful tips on here if you search recall.  £240.00 sounds steep to me.
Good luck in what you decide, keep us updated. 

Willow and Katie

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:35:47 AM »
I would have thought 6 months is still really young to have a reliable recall, I know mine didn't at this age as she would run off to any dog.   Its only as shes got older that she has got better and is less interested in running over to every single dog. 

I wouldn't have thought a behaviourist at this young age would be able to help that much except give you tips on training, however there are loads of threads on recall.   Maybe having him on a long line while you are still practising recall will help until you are sure he won't run off.

I know Indie at 6 months old did not a reliable recall, it was hit and miss as whether she preferred the look of the other dogs to me.    Sorry I'm not much help really but just wanted to add that I think he is still young and this just needs practising.   

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:40:17 AM »
I am certainly not a doggie expdert (novice here) but I experienced something similar with Ellie.  I used the threads on here and boght a long line - I just kept constantly calling her back to me when we were out and then giving her a treat when she came.  I did keep this up for several months, but eventually let her off again - and guess what, she came back, first for a treat and now, she comes without the treat (most of the time)  We did have an incident last week when she totally ignored me, and gatecrashed someones picnic in the snow (anything for food that one) luckily they saw the funny side  ph34r

Offline dylan

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:49:44 AM »
Dylan used to run after dogs, birds etc when he was a pup, i have found that as he has got older(16 months)  he is so much better.He is not that interested, has a sniff, runs round for a bit then walks on with me. I have found that as he has got older he is more concerned with where i am, and always stops and waits for me. If you are that concerned i would say go down the training route, i think that he very young and hopefully might grow out of it  ;)
Tina and Dylan

Offline claire42

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:52:10 AM »
  This is what i wanted to hear!!! that at 6 months i am worrying about nothing. I am really struggling as I have 2 close friends with dogs and we often all walk together. One of them has a 2 year old cocker who has never been off lead and she keeps telling me to keep him on lead which i really find cruel yet on the other hand the other friend never has her 3 year old terrier on a lead, he doesn't leave her side and she keeps telling me the long line is cruel and to just let him run. I know I have to do what I think is best for Spencer but find it so hard when being tugged between the two.
   As for the £240 for Bark busters, I wish I had a camera when I told my OH last night :005: :005:
I am going to read some more recall threads on here and be a stronger person myself so I can get this sorted, I think it's hard to beat the feeling you get when you see them running round, exploring and hate the fact that again he has been left on his lead for our last couple of walks.

Offline dizzymare

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »
i dont think a long line is cruel - its a training accessorie, but even if I couldnt let Ellie off I would rather use this than a lead when in open spacees at least they can venture off a little and investigate smells and things (even though it does get wrapped around trees etc  >:D sg; I think cockers are happiest off lead in fields and woods, so keep persevering and the recall will come  :blink:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:59:30 AM »
The APDT registered trainers would be a good idea, as some others have said. :blink:  Even if you just have a 'one off' the advice that mine gave us was so good. :blink:

Have you tried Clicker Training?  I practise this quite a lot at home with mine and have found this helps loads with recall. :blink:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 12:44:47 PM »
Long lines aren't cruel - particularly, if ultimately the benefit from training with one could save your dogs life  ;) Your pup sounds like a very normal cocker and I'd agree with you that life on a lead for a cocker is not ideal. All you need a trainer for is to show you how to use a long line yourself and give you some advice so you can then train your own dog.. or you can research it and give it a go yourself!

As others have said I've heard some terrible things about Bark Busters too and would never use them, ADPT is a good route to go and chat to a few trainers until you find someone you feel comfortable working with. It can take months to get a reliable recall and it will always need working on throughout the dogs life - my two need a bit of a refresher at the moment after being bang on for a few months too.. bless them! ::)

Arming yourself with the right tools and doing lots of research will let you decide how you want to train your dog and put you in control.. it's always worth listening to other dog owners and friends but have the confidence to decide what's best for you and your dog!

Lots of luck!
Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 12:51:46 PM »
The thing is you often have to train a reliable recall and it doesn't just happen overnight.

If you go into the 'Behaviour' section or this 'Puppy' section you'll find loads of advice - the idea is to make yourself as exciting/loud as possible so your pup wants to come back - arm yourself with very interesting treats and games to play.

Pracise, practise, practise and you'll get there.

Don't just call them back when they're too far away to hear you plus you have to use an 'excited' voice an dyou can't be quiet in teaching them - make them think you have somethign very exciting/interesting that they must come back for.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
I agree with all the comments regarding BarkBusters and similar franchise - steer well clear  ;)

However, I do think that many people underestimate the cost of qualified, experienced behaviourists who are able to assist with genuine behavioural problems.  I would certainly expect to pay £100+ for this type of service.  I don't think Spencer needs anything like this level of intervention, though, and I think we have all had to deal with unreliable recall and the opinions of so-called experts as our pups grow up - but with patience and consistency, it will definitely get better ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline black taz

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 12:56:03 PM »
save yourself £240!  Buy a longline and plenty of hot chicken!  

Just take the advice on here - there are plenty of threads.  I spent a fortune last year as Taz's recall wasn't as good as i wanted - that was before i joined COL.  Since then, i have realised that it is a common young cocker occurance and that i am not rubbish at training (just need more persiverance), and Taz actually does quite like to be with me.

I spent over £200 with a gundog trainer, who never managed to get Taz to come to recall (although his "sit" and "stay" did improve!) and had a negative impact on my confidence in handling Taz.  Following that i spent £15 with the trainer who runs our agility club and obedience classes, and within 20 minutes Taz was going back on a regular basis (using a longline).  

I use a longlead now when i am not confident that he will recall 100%, and have now found that when i do let him off the lead on a walk that he tends to keep an eye on me and not wander too far.  I always think that when they keep looking where you are they are more likely to stay in eye's view.

6 months is about the time that Taz went off the rails as well.

Offline mcphee

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
Rufus was good until he caught his first rabbit about this age. Whatever you do take the advice of the good people on this site. Use a long line, and stick with it. I did not, and am still paying the price with my hunting monster who is 4. Rufus was never food orientated as a young dog. Various trainers, including 1 paid for by a friend as my birthday present wanted to use citronella collars and all kind of techniques, none of them worked, because I was not as interesting as what he wanted to do. I now accept that he will only be off the lead in 3 places where I know he is safe, and will come back because he knows the area so well. I would not want anyone to go through what I have been through, both with contrary training advice, and the stress of his hunting. By the way, since 16 months his recall in a confined area is perfect, as are his other obedience commands, and he is good at agility with oral commands. Even at the start of the walk off lead he will come back when called. It is as soon as he gets the scent of a rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, fox, deer, mouse, rat etc etc that he is off. He always comes back, eventually.