Author Topic: Your opinion please  (Read 2040 times)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: Your opinion please
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 12:29:23 AM »
save yourself £240!  Buy a longline and plenty of hot chicken!  

Excellent advice!  ;) :005:

You can do this on your own  :shades: :-*
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 07:15:39 AM »
Ditto the advice. Just seen you live near me. I'll pm you somewhere that you SHOULDN'T go to. I went to his class and he used really old school rough methods and will tell you to scare your dog if he doesn't come back to you  >:( I've got a scary feeling this could be the guy you've found!

Offline charliesdad

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »
I wouldn't worry yourself too much over this, at 6 months Charlie's recall was not exactly perfect(!) although now at 2 and a couple of months I would say it's 95% (don't think i can ever say it's going to be 100%) although in the few times he doesn't come straight away he will come in eventually!  We didn't use a long lead but persevered with treats. I think the key is just keep going and patience it'll eventually happen even in the middle of play with other dogs and then it's a very good feeling!  Good luck

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 04:44:28 PM »
Agree with the others.  Coco's recall went to pot completely at 7 months for about 5 months - she drove me mad.  >:D  I don't think a behaviourist would really have made that much difference tbh - I really think it is just something you need to persevere with and sadly there is no quick fix - go back to basics, whistle training, high value treats, long line etc etc.  I was frequently almost in tears with frustration when she just would not come back to me - or rather she would come back but just stayed out of reach so I couldn't get her lead on, she even went running out of the park after a loose dog across the road - I nearly wet myself that time  :o >:(  I just learned to work within her limitations - ie when she was so unreliable I only let her off lead in a secure place where there were not too many distractions and carried livercake, squeaky toy, anything that she found interesting and just stuck at it.  Don't listen to what other people say is 'normal' - all dogs are different and you will get there.  It seemed to go on forever but eventually at about 13 months, I suddenly realised that she was recalling pretty well and walks went back to being enjoyable  ::)  She is far from perfect now but she is a million times better than she was. :luv: If I was to do it again I would try not to stress too much, use a long line if there are a lot of distractions, bake lots of livercake and just allow plenty of time for walks.  I now realise that training recall is an ongoing thing - Coco is now 3 and a half I still practise it with her on every walk ;)
Julie and Watson