Author Topic: Car Harness Advice  (Read 1403 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Car Harness Advice
« on: September 03, 2004, 10:20:47 AM »
Hi everyone - well Finley has been with us now for two weeks -  he has done extremely well - asks to go out to toilet, will go into his puppy pen in the kitchen  with some coaxing and is no problem at night (famous last words) he sleeps in our bedroom in the upstairs puppy pen and is quite until we are ready to get us - so I am extremely pleased with his progress :P  :P   So I think its time to move on to other experiences  :rolleyes: - the car harness - I have terrible trouble putting it on him he seems to hate it, its a complete battle to get it on,  however he wears his collar during the day no probs and will run around the garden on his lead.  I have been sitting in the back of the car with him for the last couple of days and he even went to sleep.  Today after a struggle I got the harness on - sat in the back of the car until he settled (took a white) had to do lots of talking and singing (as you do in the back of your car) as he seemed occupied in the back by my map decided to go for a short drive - no probs was not worried - my problem is getting him used to me putting the harness on - any suggestions would be gratfully received.  By the way he is asleep now - must have tired him out
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline PennyB

Car Harness Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 12:37:46 PM »
I use treats for anything like this.

Its also often about making sure you can do it yourself as well quite quickly without having to stop to work out where the next leg goes (so if you do stop halfway to work out the next bit shove a treat in his mouth as a reward for letting you at least get so far)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Louie

• Limited Member
    • http://www.dreamistcockerspaniels.co.uk
Car Harness Advice
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 12:51:19 PM »
Today after a struggle I got the harness on - sat in the back of the car until he settled (took a white)
Hi this sounded so funny  :lol:  but i,m sure you really had put the harness on Finnley  :)  you sound like your doing just fine and i,m sure when he gets used to the procedure he will be no bother  :)  

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Car Harness Advice
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 01:27:50 PM »
Sorry to hijack, but any advice on which harness would be welcome here. I looking at geting one for Alfie as hubby thinks hes driving on a race track most of the time and he slides around in his crate :(

Many thanks
Caroline and Alfie

Offline cassie

• Site Member
Car Harness Advice
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 01:37:53 PM »
I use treats to it always seems to work but now she will let me put it on wth no problems
If chocolate was not here I wouldn't be either!

Offline PennyB

Car Harness Advice
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 02:10:40 PM »
Sorry to hijack, but any advice on which harness would be welcome here. I looking at geting one for Alfie as hubby thinks hes driving on a race track most of the time and he slides around in his crate :(

Many thanks
Mine have the Hicraft ones that seem quite good or you can use an attachment that can go on to a normal harness (there are two types) all can be bought from the Pet company (link below):

Petcompany

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Car Harness Advice
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2004, 03:17:09 PM »
I brought Finley the Hi-craft dog car harness from pets at home I got him one for a very small dog, when he grows out of that he will inherit my late Benji's one (which is a medium) - Benji's really enjoyed his drives in the car and the harness kept him very safe it fixes to the seat belt at the back they can then either sit up or lay down.  
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline Mightyjoe

• Site Member
    • http://www.byphotos.com/album/780383
Car Harness Advice
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2004, 03:23:52 PM »
we also go the Hi-craft dog car harness from pets at home for Oscar. He likes to play why you are trying to put it on in the house, if you do it in the car he is ok.
David, Sharon & Oscar

Oscar Pics    Oscar in Scotland

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Car Harness Advice
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2004, 03:25:35 PM »

To get Finley desensitised to the car harness you could use it for walks too, just attach the lead to it. This might stop him associating the harness with the car, if indeed that is the problem.

If he really hates the car harness you could try using a crate in the car, if you have room for one. The harnesses are better than nothing (I used one for Jimmy until I got a second dog) but I think crates are far safer. I found that Jimmy worked out how to move about the car slowly so that the seat belt didn't lock, plus he used to get in a right tangle which I thought would be really dangerous if I had to brake suddenly. :(  

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Car Harness Advice
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2004, 09:16:30 PM »
I wrestle with Molo every time I try to get the harness on; I'm getting better with practice, but OH tried t oget it on today Tee Hee....you should have seen it!

I make sure Molo sits before I lift him into the car, and again when I start to put the harness on...but those clips are just too tempting for him and he chews them endlessly!

I often take a time out if he gets too boisterous and takes one to may nips out of my hand

I am hoping he will be better as he gets older  :rolleyes:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club