Author Topic: Shocking news at the vet today!  (Read 7954 times)

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
Re: Shocking news at the vet today!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 09:22:20 PM »
Can't add much - except that Skye is 10.5kgs and is 2 years old.  The vet thinks she is perfect weight and size...

Good luck with your boy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 09:24:57 PM »
Fern was a skinny one I struggled to get weight on her at the age Ozzy is - it wasn't until she was nearly 2 years old that her ribs didn't show and that was with feeding her tripe too

She's now 3 yrs old and only weighs in at 11kg

Good luck and I hope you find a food real soon that Ozzy can produce firm poo's on and he will improve

Offline lainie

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 10:02:59 PM »
He's been on boiled chicken and rice for a couple of days to see if that helps so we're avoid the JWB for the time being.  He's been on that since he was about 12 weeks old now, once we'd changed from the IAMs.

The vet hasn't given us anything to give him yet as she wants a 'clean' sample of poo! 

He's been having his monthly worming tablets for a few months too.

The really hard thing to grasp is that whilst I'm sat here at the computer, he's running round like an idiot chasing an empty bottle - making a real racket.  That's why its hard to imagine that he could be so poorly, cos he doesn't look it!

I've tried to add some pictures but don't have the attachments facility (not sure why), so I've changed my profile picture to a photo from today.   Doesn't really show much to my untrained eye, but you never know what everyone else might think......

Thanks
Sue

I don't think I would be worming monthly if he's having all these problems - try every 3-4 months and see if that helps.

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 10:13:04 PM »
I think that some intestinal parasites are helped a great deal by panacur, ie.  Giardia, if your vet suggested this - maybe that's the reason.  Some things like this are very hard to find by poo samples though and may take many times before anything shows up.

I have a mahoosive working cocker, he's very big built but very lean and at 6 months he would have never weighed what your vet suggested.  I also have a cocker who's weight I struggle to keep down, he's 4 and about 17 kgs (very overweight for him).  So I think maybe you shouldn't worry to much about her guideline weight for your dog.
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 10:41:13 PM »
My 2 yr old cocker is just over 10 Kilo's, he is on the small side but not that abnormal and certainly not underweight. I think your vet has been a little dramatic and got some weights mixed up too, cockers do vary hugely in size.

Mine never got on with JWB, Chappie may help calm a sensitive tummy then if you want to try another quality food after that something like Arden Grange may be good, but avoid Burns as it's not good for putting weight on and I've always found it not enough nutritionally for either of my dogs who are both very active (a Weim and a cocker) it leaves their coat dull, they both get a bit of scurf on it and have less energy.

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 10:52:28 PM »

I really wouldn't go for Burns for a thin puppy - Burns is much better for dogs trying to lose weight - try Arden Grange, and maybe raw green tripe to help him bulk up ;)

I'd agree with that. William is on Burns because he's inclined to put weight on easily (and also because it suits his slightly delicate digestive system). He was on JWB at one time and had slightly runny poos, then was on Arden Grange and turned into a real porker! So I reckon it could be a good food for a very active puppy who needs to put on some weight.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »
Would agree with the above re: Burns - Misha was having double the daily ration just to keep weight on her.  She is also quite small - under 25cm and weighs 8kg (she's 19 months old).  Now that she's had her first season and been spayed, she has filled out (doesn't help that she's really fluffy), but hasn't put on any weight, and doesn't look at all skinny anymore.  Vet has said to try and keep her at that weight as she's perfect.

Roly my other dog also has problems with runny poos, and I found that none of the premium foods helped at all.  He was awful on Burns, JWB fish (junior) was ok, but as soon as he went onto the adult I had the same problem.  He's now on Chudley's, which whilst isn't the best dog food, it suits his digestion and he is in very good health.  Both dogs also have the odd chicken wing every week as well.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 09:06:48 AM »
penny was 3kilos at eight weeks and when she had her injection and was four on the 18th may as too have plenty of question ,hope little ozzies tummy is sorted soon Joand Penny and Lois.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 09:16:13 AM »
I took Lyla to the vets for a 6 monthly check and she wasn't much more than your puppy weighed.  However, the vet acknowledged that as she was always dashing here and there, the food was probably all being burnt off!  Just a thought but chicken isn't for every dog, it gives mine the runs.  I prefer boiled white fish on its own or with some rice if I want to give my babie's stomachs something bland. :blink:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 09:23:25 AM »
I would definitely recommend changing off JWB - even though it is one of the "good" ones, a lot of people on here have had problems with runny poos on the puppy JWB.

Try not to worry too much until you've had some more tests. I dont think he sounds abnormally thin - Im sure the vet is thinking of adult weights not 6 month weights and they bulk out A LOT as they get older.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 09:52:24 AM »
Unless of course their name is Lyla in which case they stay a skinny minnie :005:
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Rachsparkles

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »
Hi!  Poppy is 5 months old today and she weighs 7kg.  She was looking skinny at one point so I changed her food over to Arden Grange and she's now looking absolutely lovely on it, she has filled out and her coat looks beautiful, her poo  ph34r is a lot firmer now too!   He sounds happy enough, hopefully it is that he's just burning all those calories off by all that running round!  :005:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 12:46:06 PM »
I've just realised I told you to try Chappie to sort your dogs tum, but just remembered your pup is only 6 month old and Chappie don't do a puppy food as far as I know, so don't do that unless the vet tells you to! Sorry!!! Would still keep away from Burns at the moment though as that won't help the weight problems :-*

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 02:51:24 PM »

Jessie is a skinny girl she weighs about 8.3kgs height 11.5ins weight going up since taking her off Burns.  She is looking a lot better in her general body condition.  She also active , agree with other posts that Burns may not suit if you have very active dog. When she was spayed at about 13months she weighed 7kgs.  She has still stayed slim even though she is spayed.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 03:02:27 PM »
Out of interest is it the Turkey & Rice JWB you are feeding? I have known of some dogs who also had sloppy poo's with this variety. As suggested maybe try him on Arden Grange or if you want to stick with JWB maybe try the lamb & rice variety.  :D