Author Topic: First Walk  (Read 984 times)

Offline sazzysue

• Donator
First Walk
« on: June 02, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »
My puppy had his second injection last thursday morning and was told to wait a week before taking him out.. I have got tomorrow off from work and would really like to take him out, would he be ok to go for a little walk or should I wait?

Sue & Marlo

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: First Walk
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 05:16:31 PM »
If it was me I would  ph34r ;) I don't think 24 hours would make that much difference, but perhaps other more experienced folk would disagree  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline tashnlou

• crazydogs
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:14:50 PM »
i think he should be ok tomorrow, i waited 2 days after my pups 2nd vac
Tasha
Louie (labradoodle)
Daisie (lab x collie)
and hopefully a cocker .....

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:17:13 PM »

I reckon I'd go for it... if you want to play it safe, opt for somewhere where there aren't loads of dogs (which would probably be pretty overwhelming for a first walk anyway)...

:D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline sazzysue

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 09:35:47 PM »
His first walk out today was shattered by a grown collie who barked at him  >:( and he was doing really well until this happened but the dog really gave him a fright gave him a big cuddles and tried again but he just didn't want to go any further. Hope this hasn't scared him too much  :luv:

Sue & Marlo

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 10:30:01 PM »
I can't even get Belle - 13 weeks past the gate!!!!! So he has done well as far as I am concerned, I am sure he will be fine :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 10:36:03 AM »
I have to admit to taking Ollie out 1 day before the vets recommended 7 days were up.  He's been fine.  I'm sure being barked at won't have put your puppy off - it's just another experience and I'm told they live in the moment, so hopefully won't make any negative association with going out for a walk.  Ollie now takes himself to the front door if the living room door happens to be open in the hope that he might get a walk - and it's a fine balance between encouraging a short walk - and not wanting to over exercise him.  So for now he gets a short walk around the block or a trip to the park every other day - and otherwise has an 80ft garden to explore (which he also takes every opportunity to do). 

This morning he did his first "barking at the birds" - there were some magpies making a racket in the garden behind us and Ollie was not impressed - even did a low quiet growl!!

He's now sat looking through the (closed) patio doors every now again glancing back at me with those pleading eyes as if to say "let me go and play, pleeeeaaaasssse" . . . in a little while Ollie - good boy!!

Hope you enjoy your walks together. :blink:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
His first walk out today was shattered by a grown collie who barked at him  >:( and he was doing really well until this happened but the dog really gave him a fright gave him a big cuddles and tried again but he just didn't want to go any further. Hope this hasn't scared him too much  :luv:

Sorry to hear the first walk, was not so good. i would like to say i think its advisable not to make too much fuss, when another dog barks or scares him, as it could reinforce fear into him, every time a dog comes near him  ;) i used to just distract my two with a ball or toy :D i hope you both enjoy the next walk :D

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum