Author Topic: Playbiting  (Read 6460 times)

Offline grunty

Playbiting
« on: September 03, 2009, 06:17:59 PM »
everytime we go in the garden with chester he play bites the wife and kids , i pinch him hard and he dont do it with me anymore the girls have tried the yelp approach NOOO approach and more but he takes no notice of them ? any ideas please

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: playbiteing
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »
You pinch him :o. Sorry but that is not something that should be done with any dog, let alone a pup >:(. There are plenty of threads on how to deal with this, it is best to ignore him and walk away. Stick a toy in his mouth. Anything but physical punishment.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 06:25:30 PM »
PLEEEEEEEASE don't pinch him, its normal puupy behaviour, you need to let him know its not acceptable to you but there are more effective ways of doing it that will leave you with a better adjusted pup/dog. COLers use positive training methods as these have been proven to work, where as aversives such as pinching and causing the pup pain are proven to have a negative effect on the dog. If he bites then make a loud ah noise , give himself something else to put in his mouth if that doesn't work remove him from the situation. For example if Belles playbiting got out of hand she was put in the kitchen not as a punishment just so that she knew she would not get any attention from doing it and both she and the kids were safe. There will be lots of good advice coming your way and positive training really is better, she is just a baby teething after all, good luck ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline BabyB

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 06:28:35 PM »
OMG - I can't believe I have read that you pinch him  :'( :o

Either try the toy like JennyBee has said, or time out if he gets a little too much - ie remove him from the area until he's calmed down.

Henry would work himself into a frenzy when he just didn't know when to stop, we had to walk away and ignore him if the ahhhh noise didn't stop him in his tracks.

Please, please don't pinch him - he'll remember that's what you do and that could lead you down a whole different issue - handshy, fearful etc....

Edited :  just seen bajoleth's reply and replied at the same time  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline grunty

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 06:30:44 PM »
sorry we were just doing what the breeder said weve never had a dog before shes bred cocker for 45 years so we thought she was right , ihope i have not put the pup of me :embarassed:

Offline BabyB

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »
sorry we were just doing what the breeder said weve never had a dog before shes bred cocker for 45 years so we thought she was right , ihope i have not put the pup of me :embarassed:
All I can say is to train using positive methods - you'll have a happy dog in the long run  ;)
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline grunty

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 06:35:12 PM »
this will not  happen again no more pinching

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 06:36:01 PM »
Please don't worry as you,ve said you were just doing what an experienced breeder has told you :-\ Unfortunatly they are using 'Old School ' techniques which are now proven to do more harm than good >:( You have come here for advice so it shows you want to be a responsible owner, as I said positive training methods are always advised and used by COLers so you will get good advice as long as you heed the advice given here you will be fine and so will Chester ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline BabyB

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »
this will not  happen again no more pinching
Good  :D

We need piccies of Chester too  :shades:

Oh, and Welcome  :D

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 06:39:52 PM »
Agree with what others have said - use the positive methods discussed on this thread and many others on the puppies board.  It can take a while, but they really are effective!  :D

I cannot believe a responsible breeder would advise you to do this... how many of her pups have gone to homes where this has been done to them, and what long term damage will have been caused by this!!!  :o  :o
It would be like suggesting a parent bite a toddler back who's bitten or kicked out etc...  >:(

You have come to the right place, and with positive handling, your pup will soon forgive your mistakes  ;)  he may be a little wary of you at the minute, so it might be an idea to try hand feeding a couple of times a day, so that he associates you with positive experiences...  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 06:40:37 PM »
You should be alright, he is still very young - you might have to work on gaining his trust for a while though :blink:. It makes my blood boil to think someone who should know better is giving out that type of advice >:D. A book that's recommended a lot (although I've only browsed through it) is The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey. Brodie was horrendous as a puppy, it took ages before things started to sink in, but she has turned into a lovely girl with an amazing temperament. As the others have said, positive methods are the way to go...... Will you be taking him to any classes when he's old enough?

x In memory of Barney x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 06:43:25 PM »
The yelp approach can sometimes excite the pup too if it's not done 'properly'.
Are the children running away or waving their arms about whilst they do it? If so then pup might be seeing it as an invitation to play  ::) . Children need to fold their arms and play 'statues' so that they become boring  ;) . Agree with everything others have said too re sticking a toy in their mouth(pup-not children) and removing pup from the situation to a 'boring' place, such as another room if they don't calm down.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline grunty

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 06:45:03 PM »
i have loads of pics of chester but dont know how to add them can i have some help please
thanks

Offline grunty

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »
hes a blue ron a real cracker 10 weeks old

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 06:46:55 PM »
Here's the sticky thread about playbiting - http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2016.0. The Ian Dunbar link on it is excellent, but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment :huh:

And here's a thread about posting photos - http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=15703.0. Looking forward to seeing pics of your boy :D

x In memory of Barney x