Author Topic: Playbiting  (Read 6459 times)

Offline luckypenny

Re: Playbiting
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
Hi Grunty. I really feel for you as we have a 4 1/2 month pup who really tries our patience sometimes, but I have to say that any advice I've read on this forum has made sense, especially the "time out". They get past the point of understanding anything and both the pup and you need space.  My mum was of the opinion that a whack with a rolled up paper would inhibit biting - her only experience of dog ownership was  terrier pup bought in ths 60's from a pet shop in Manchester - he was PTS age four as he was completely uncontrolable and aggressive, poor thing. Needless to say I will be following the COL way. I really hope things get better for you.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »
Grunty, I have been following your thread  but haven't replied till now cos there are so many experienced dog owners and breeders on here that I felt any contribution of mine would be overkill. However, I feel compelled to comment now. I am a first time dog owner too and I had times when I thought to myself "what have I done, I can't cope with her". But  the advice and support that I have had from this forum, has got me through. Please listen to what folk are saying to you.  I know you probably think your breeder must be some kind of expert, having bred dogs for 40 odd years, but listen to the majority voice. Her views and methods are cruel and totally outdated. People on this forum use positive reward based training, and the forum actively promotes and reflects these methods. You have received some brilliant advice, some excellent links to further reading, and great support. I have been looking back at all your posts, and so far, I haven't read one positive comment you have made about your dog. As one or two others have said, it doesn't sound like you did much research before you got your pup, so I would suggest you start doing that research NOW...and listen up to what people on here are saying to you, otherwise you'll land up with a very unhappy dog, not to mention yourself and your family. And for what its worth, Crazy Cocker Gang's posts echo my thoughts word for word.  Sorry for the long post

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2009, 06:32:56 PM »
Dear Grunty,
Please make a fresh start, forget what has gone by and start again. Your pup is 10 weeks old and you can get over this.
We all make mistakes and are thinking we are doing the right thing when we are not. I wish I had discovered COL when I had my first cocker pup as there is a wealth of knowledge out their from some wonderful people.
My first pup Bella had me in tears on more than one occasion but we worked through it and I now have a fabulous dog who is so loving and endearing.
Having a pup is not always easy especially I found if you have not slept properly either. However it does get better with time.
I would always go for positive loving methods and even now if my dogs get one on them  I send them out to "cool down" that means out of the room or in the garden where they get no attention. When they have calmed then they can come back in. I don't hit them..
Have you tried giving him carrots to chew or cardboard boxes to shred to keep him occupied. You can also get puppy Kongs and use kong paste or salmon paste in it. I used to think that my pups were crossed with crocodiles and those little teeth really hurt.
Before I had my pup I researched loads and I can highly recommend the Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey, its a lovely book, easy to read and follow with lots of lovely pictures. I read it over and over. Good luck Grunty and please let us know how you are getting on.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2009, 11:52:13 AM »
Oh no..... Grunty, please please don't go back to this horrendous breeder. Neither of my cocker pup breeders would have suggested what she is suggesting and I wouldn't care if she'd been breeding dogs for 70 years, she is NOT giving you good advice. Do you want a relationship with a lovely adult dog.. or one that's scared of you and may start to fight you and become a fear aggressive adult dog because hurting and scaring puppies can end up with very messed up adult dogs - that don't trust you.

I'm so so disappointed to read your last post after all the advice you've had. There are a number of breeders on this website and NONE of them would suggest what you've been told to do.

What about meeting up with another COL member that's been through it too to talk it through a bit more? Where abouts in the country are you - I'd be happy to meet you if you're within a reasonable distance and you can meet my cocker that was the WORST puppy biter I've ever met and see what a lovely dog he's grown into and how trustworthy he is with my young child and baby too - I'm in Surrey.

Please please please do not take anymore advice from this awful woman... please.

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline grunty

« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2009, 10:23:03 PM »
Hi to everyone, this is gruntys wife. From reading all your comments i am a little angry. I will not be taking chester to a rehoming place, i wouldnt dream of it. The problem was , that i was getting a little frustrated due to the fact i didnt know how to deal with chester when he was playbiting.
Some friends of ours came round to see us the other day. They are dog trainers at our local dog club. They gave me alot of advice on looking after chester.
I must say i feel more confident now. I have already got him to sit and stay for his meals and sit when i ask him too. I am well chuffed. He seems to be more awake in the day and playing more and slleping well at night.
We will not be giving chester up, he is ours and we will look after him well, he is getting used to our family now. Im looking forward to spending more time with him as he gets older.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2009, 10:28:33 PM »
if there is anyone you should be angry at Grunty's wife, it is your breeder for offering such awful advice, and perhaps yourselves for not researching perhaps as much as you could have about puppies. 

I must admit that reading this thread it really sounded like a cry for help from your husband and everyone has offered really helpful advice - it DID sound like the puppy was too much for you if you read what your husband wrote about your lack of sleep and tears so you can't expect people NOT to suggest re-homing under the circumstances.

I don't know why it has taken until now to come to light that you have 'friends' that are dog trainers - I only hope they are APDT trained and use positive and kind methods as to date the methods you have been using suggested by the breeder and others have been negative and cruel resulting in an unhappy and frustrated little pup.

I hope you and your husband will take on some of the advice offered to you on the threads  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
That is brilliant news  :luv: I really hope you weren't offended by people's comments on here, everone was only trying to help, and those who suggested rehoming as an option were only doing so, because it sounded like you really were at the end of your tether. I for one, look forward to hearing lots more posts like this, I'm so pleased for you, puppies can be so incredibly hard work and its not always easy. Good luck to you...and keep posting  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2009, 10:53:12 PM »
Hi to everyone, this is gruntys wife. From reading all your comments i am a little angry.

That's a shame as you've received five pages of excellent advice from members who have taken the time to try to help you. I think only a few posts (out of the whole 5 pages) mentioned rehoming and while you might not have liked this, your husband certainly gave the impression you were all at the end of your tether so it's not really surprising that some were worried it might come to this. Anyway, it's great your trainer friends have been able to help so I'll close this now and you can start a new thread if you need to ask for more advice at any stage.
Jane