Author Topic: Scary Encounter  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Scary Encounter
« on: September 27, 2004, 09:25:07 PM »
I took Molo to a local wood for 10 minutes before his puppy class this evening; just to stretch his legs and let off a bit of steam.

On the way back to the car, we met a black lab type (maybe lurcher, as he was very rangy), off lead, with owners some distance away. This lab ran right up to Molo who was on a short lead, and Molo, living up to his name, was exuberant in his greeting  :rolleyes: I allowed Molo to greet the dog; having been advised at class that to prevent him greeting other dogs that approach him could lead to him being defensive on the lead.

The scary part is that the Labs hackles rose, and he started growling; but Molo didn't seem to take any notice, and continued his exuberance. I walked away with him, but the lab followed, continuing to 'warn' Molo  :o

The labs owners could not call him off, and at one point even said "watch it little guy (refering to Molo) he'll have you"!

How should I react in these situations? Molo did not seem to be able to 'read' the doggie signs from the Lab, and I don't want to make things worse by interfering, but I don't want him to get atacked cos hes been 'bad mannered' even if the other dog is no better  :angry:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club