Author Topic: Holly - showing signs of being scared?  (Read 910 times)

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
Holly - showing signs of being scared?
« on: November 04, 2009, 11:19:42 AM »
Over the past week it has been noticable that Holly seems to be more and more insecure, she will be 5 months on sunday.
She has become scared of passing cars on her walks (always atleast twice a day) which is not like her atall she is usually confident on her lead, barking at the hoover, anything thats different eg) pumpkins at our front door, black belt hanging from a set of draws. She's fine off her lead, keeps buy my side has a bit of a run recall is good when were on our own  :005: great with other dogs & strangers.

Is this usual for her age, she has always been out going adventurous, into everything, but she is showing signs of being insecure I guess. Nothing has changed atall so Im thinking its just her age? a phase she's going through?! Would another dog help (bit early I think but would be an option at a later date)

Anybody else been through this?

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
Re: Holly - showing signs of being scared?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 12:44:25 PM »
Murphy went through a phase like this at about the same age, I tried not to be over the top with comforting him, and would just use treats or toys to get his attention away from the thing causing him the distress - he came through it ok.
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 12:59:26 PM »
Could be she's hit the fear stage - Brodie went through this phase as well, I can't remember how long it lasted but after a while she was back to her normal self - a DAP collar might help :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Noodle

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 02:16:41 PM »
Holly I am experiencing the same with Tess (9 months) she's been like it for 2 months now, barking at unfamiliar objects, I had a dehumidifier in my dining room and she would bark at it and wouldn't walk past it for 2 days, I got a suitcase out and she went crazy, step ladders, she hates them, strangers coming into the house she barks and stresses herself. I socialized her really well as a pup and she loves meeting people outside of the house. I don't know much about the second fear stage so will be interested to read your replies, just trying to ignore the behavior for now.
Good luck.
Nic, Tess & Bella x

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 03:10:38 PM »
Yeah, Ive just been ignoring it, dont want to reinforce anything or comfort to much, its not out of control just 'noticable' as its not 'normal' holly wally if thats possible  :005:
Tess sounds very similar, maybe its a girl thing  :shades:

Offline Noodle

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 03:19:04 PM »
Probably is a girl thing, she's just grumbled at one of my son's school friends, he only came in for 2 minutes  ::)
Nic, Tess & Bella x

Offline Mexx

• FireBrush Web Design
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:24:27 PM »
Yes our Holly did the same thing at this age, just ignore it or distract them but provide re-assurance without going over the top. They do seem to grow out of it.  ;)

It's really strange, as our Holly worries about passing cars but is unphased and quite at home with plenty of shotguns going off at the weekend shoots!!!  :lol2:
Web Design at FireBrush.co.uk

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 11:06:35 PM »
Louis will be 5 months in a few days time and has suddenly become nervous of the Dyson this week, after having taken no notice of it until now. He's also started pulling threads out of the rug in the hall and has managed to turn it upside down and rip some of the backing off it a couple of times  >:D. I'm not sure if that's anxiety or teething related.

I'm just carrying on as normal with the Dyson, although I'm careful to make sure he has an escape route. Poor little chap was trapped on the back doormat this morning with nowhere to run to when I accidentally manoeuvred him into that particular corner with the Dyson  :005:

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »
Im glad its not just holly, she was having a cuddle last night and one of her large teeth dropped out, had doggy blood on me earlier in the day as she was rubbing herself over my top and wobbling it about Ewwww!!! Maybe it has something to do with her teeth dropping out her mouth  ph34r cant be very nice Im sure!!