Author Topic: Visitors with small children  (Read 680 times)

Offline tritonx

Visitors with small children
« on: January 21, 2010, 05:46:12 AM »
I have 10 people coming for dinner this weekend and two of them are children. One is a 1 yr. baby and the other is a 4 year old girl. It's going to be a challenge for 8 month Fraser as he gets deliriously happy to see people and will be beside himself with greeting and jumping up (he might try it with me, but gets off immediately when I give him a look). I could pen him, but from recent experience, he will whine and yip all through dinner (he used to settle, but just wouldn't settle down the last time I had people over.) I've explained the 'household with adolescent pup' situation to my guests. What do you think? Should I pen him and try to have an evening with a backdrop of whining and yipping? And there will be bagpipes, oh the opportunities for howling to add to the mix  :o The adults could handle the doggy enthusiasm, but I'm worried about the children. Fraser has met children on his walks and seems to want to greet them as he does with anyone else, so I don't think he will be spooked by the little girl (I'm assuming the baby will be held and not a factor--oh God, I hope they won't put her down.) Should I keep Fraser entirely away from the four year old girl, in which case, he's in the pen for the whole evening. Or is there a way to introduce them. I assume he won't try to leap up as she is short too. Gah, I don't know what to expect. She's a sensible, well brought up little girl, but this is entirely new territory for me and Fraser. He's not a biter, but can be mouthy with soft mouth. 

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Visitors with small children
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 07:53:52 AM »
I assume you've told visitors to ignore him until he quietens down?  If you think he'll settle once he's said hello, I'd be tempted to let him do that but also give Fraser somewhere he can go to get away from the guests if he wants to - he might not appreciate soo many people together either.  Have you got a kong or chew he can take away with him?  It's up to the parents of the little ones to keep an eye on them and ensure they don't pull Fraser about and give him space.  Hopefully they'll listen to you if you tell them nicely that Fraser needs his break

Perhaps suggest that the guests don't howl too much either - it could upset the neighbours  ;) Have a great party  :D

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 08:10:39 AM »
There will be single malt involved. Howling might ensue. I can put his bed and his crate for that matter behind a gate in an alcove off the kitchen. He'll be able to see and hear us, but is out of the direct traffic. At Christmas I had him penned in the livingroom and sternly told people not to make eye contact which, of course, was a bit difficult for them as who can resist pleading spaniel eyes.

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »
I have a four year old and a one year old myself so we regularly have guests of this age.

I find it all gets a bit mad when everyone first arrives so I tend to shut Jasmine out while everyone greets everyone else then do the puppy introductions when I can give my full attention. I usually put her on a lead for this. I find it totally depends on the children and the parents but usually Jasmine spends some time in her pen either because she jumps up or because she gets over excited when they all run about. I usually let her out when everyone is seated at the table as she can't jump up on the kids then.

It can be a bit stressful but if its any consolation pup will be exhausted when everyone goes  :005: