Author Topic: Barking ... any Tips  (Read 479 times)

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
Barking ... any Tips
« on: March 03, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »
Hello I am sure this will sound crazy and perhaps I should know what to do put have tried things and they dont seem to work..  When Selby starts biting I say no and put him down, if he comes back and tries again I try to distract him with his toys but as soon as I stop playing with his toys with him he is back to biting again so I stand up fold my arms and turn away from him this seems great but then he just sits and bark at me and will not stop until I pick him up and then its back to the biting again has anyone any tips for me please, it always seems to be between 7 and 10 in the evening just when we want to relax. I have started taking him for a walk about 6 ish to see if that would make him tired but nothing seems to work.  He is great during the day soo good.  He is now scratching his bedding in his crate like its done something to him.

Hope somone can give me some advice please.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Barking ... any Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »
How old is he?

Are you giving him attention when he is barking?  Do you pick him up to stop him barking?  If you are, then that is your answer, the barking is working because it is getting him the attention he wants.  ::)  Ignore him when he is barking or biting and he will learn that only when he is calm and quiet does he get your attention.  :D

As for keeping him calm in the evenings, how about giving him a chew toy or a kong to keep him occupied so you can have some peace?  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Anita D

• Dog Walker Cheltenham & Tewkesbury
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »
It's a balance with puppies with giving them enough exercise / play / training through the day but not too much so as to make them over-tired and hyper.

Agree with Joules that a chew toy or a kong in the evenings may give him something else to bite on and give you some peace and quiet.
Dog Walker in Cheltenham & Tewkesbury.  Owned by Paddy & Fergus

Offline Timbo19

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »
This sounds exactly like Zac!!

In the evening he starts his play biting therefore we say a firm "no" put him down and ignore him but he then starts barking, but we ignore him until he stops but once he comes back he starts biting again. We don't pay him any attention when he's barking. Have you any ideas to how we can stop him from biting? if we point our finger he trys to bite that  >:(!!!

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:10:17 AM »
Hello, thanks for the advice he 15 weeks, no we don't pick him up when he is barking we try to walk out of the room and then when he is quite come back and then it all starts again, If I say no and point at him this seems to aggravate him even more so now I say ah ah ah and I think he appreciates this more, I know its just puppy hood but I don't want to do things wrong now and have to undo them later on.  He has lots of chews and a Kong and he is just not interested in them at this time of night, he is not interested in his Kong during the day maybe when he get older.  We have training time for about 2 Min's 3 time a day and he goes out for no more than 15 Min's twice a day, he goes mad when he gets out, he just loves it.  He is perfect during the day so maybe just letting off steam, I look at it like children they get to a certain time of night and passed themselves and it  takes ages to get them off, so maybe he just being a baby. But it drives you mad even though.lol