Author Topic: Scared  (Read 922 times)

Offline *Yvonne*

Scared
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:20:24 PM »
've just took Ben for his evening walk as usual and i've noticed he is getting really scared when out at night,
His tail is always between his legs, he tries hiding around my legs and runs circles around me all walk

Can i do anything to stop this, he is fine on his morning walk  :-\

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Scared
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »
Sorry if this sounds very obvious, but can you take him out when it's still light for the time being until the clocks go forward and we have lighter evenings? He's very young isn't he, so hopefully by next winter he'll be more mature and won't worry about the dark.

Or perhaps you could take some treats with you and do a bit of training while you're out to distract him from his anxiety.

Offline *Yvonne*

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:12:09 PM »
Its just easier to take him about 7 when the kids are ready and sorted for bed and hubby is reading to them but after tonight i am going to have to go a little earlier.
He didn;t stop and freeze or refuse to walk you could just tell he was really anxious.

Thanks for your reply hun x

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
I know its not nice to see him scared but I personally think your better exposing him to it as often as you can in order to aviod a fear of the dark.  Maybe move your walk but do other exercises at night in order to get him used to it. He'll be in for a shock next winter if you dont try and deal with it now.

Take him and some biscits out after dark and feed him firstly in your garden. If he copes with that move it to the street. Take baby steps and he'll get used to it slowely. Unless you can completely avoid nighttime walks for the rest of his life id work on it.

Offline Noodle

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »
Tess did this when the clocks changed in Autumn aged 9 months, she seemed to be afraid of the car head lights, she was fine after a few walks but i didn't fuss her just ignored it   :D
Nic, Tess & Bella x

Offline *Yvonne*

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »
I know its not nice to see him scared but I personally think your better exposing him to it as often as you can in order to aviod a fear of the dark.  Maybe move your walk but do other exercises at night in order to get him used to it. He'll be in for a shock next winter if you dont try and deal with it now.

Take him and some biscits out after dark and feed him firstly in your garden. If he copes with that move it to the street. Take baby steps and he'll get used to it slowely. Unless you can completely avoid nighttime walks for the rest of his life id work on it.

this is what i thought, no point in molly coddling him with it, he is absolutely fine in the garden no problems just his walks.  ::)

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:30:10 PM »
I have had similar issues with my Jasmine who is almost 2 so not a puppy, At the start of winter she was scared of the dark and of cars as we usually only walk across fields in the daylight and suddenly come winter we could only walk the streets in the dark. I took her out later at night at first when there was less traffic and the gradual exposure has helped as now she is fine and we can walk up the main road with no issues or fuss, she used to spin circles on the end of her lead. He will get used to it but its hard to see your dog struggling and uncomfortable with a situation.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline *Yvonne*

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:33:04 PM »
Ben also tries to sit by peoples front doors lol bless
Sense od security i think or hoping and praying one of them will be his  :lol2: :luv:

Offline MolliesMom

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 09:39:22 AM »

Mollie doesnt like to go for walks in the dark either - she isnt that keen when its dark in the garden either and will rush out for a last late night wee and rush back in again.

'If a dog thinks you are the best, dont seek a second opinion'.