Author Topic: where does your pup sleep?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline *Yvonne*

where does your pup sleep?
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:00:22 PM »
The title is self explanatory  :005:

Are they in a cage?
Do they sleep upstairs?
Do they just sleep in their bed free to use the living room etc?

Ben is sleeping in a cage at the moment but i don't want him in there forever, when do you start the transition to just sleeping in the living room etc?
My house is open plan so have no door between kitchen and living room/dining room etc so can't let him just have the run of the kitchen.

Any advise???
Thanks  :D :D

Offline bobbylfc

Re: where does your pup sleep?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 06:08:01 PM »
My house is the same and bobby is nearly 6 months old. We have had a cage for him and for the first few nights we left him with the cage door open and he was fine so we have taken away the cage. He doesnt seem to mind where he sleeps so long as he has his cushion. He has never really chewed so hopefully he wont start now  ;) good luck!
Natalie, Bobby & Tess

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »
My pup Monty 10 weeks sleeps in my room on the floor (on a cushion ) cos thats where Belle 12mths sleeps, In your situation I would carry on as you are until Ben is completely clean and when you can trust him not to chew anything :-\
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:12:35 PM »
Freddie - 5 months - sleeps in his cage in the kitchen. I would like to let him have the option of cage or bed in the kitchen but he chases our cat who has to come in the cat flap in the night. I don't know whether to just let them sort themselves out - at the moment, the cat won't come in if he can see Freddie the other side of the cat flap. I don't think I will ever give Freddie the run of the downstairs - we can shut our kitchen door - am I mean? :huh:
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 06:24:31 PM »
Alfie sleeps in his crate in the kitchen and thats where he will stay until we can trust him to go all night without doing anything ;).

Freddie - 5 months - sleeps in his cage in the kitchen. I would like to let him have the option of cage or bed in the kitchen but he chases our cat who has to come in the cat flap in the night. I don't know whether to just let them sort themselves out - at the moment, the cat won't come in if he can see Freddie the other side of the cat flap. I don't think I will ever give Freddie the run of the downstairs - we can shut our kitchen door - am I mean? :huh:

No you're not mean at all!! Meg has always slept downstairs in the kitchen and she loves it - some peace and quiet :luv:. Alfie will too when he's finished with the crate. Meg went through a phase of sleeping in my room but would never settle.

I suppose if they have been used to sleeping downstairs from a puppy then they wont know any different will they :dunno: :D xxxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:14:41 PM »
Mason is 20 months old next week and he still sleeps in his crate in the kitchen.  He will rest in the living room but once he has had enough for the night he takes himself off to his crate for the night.  I can't see me ever being able to take his crate away  :luv:
Elaine & Mason X

Offline *Yvonne*

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
We leave ben out of his crate if we go out, no longer than 2 hours though and he has never has any incidents (The fact we move most items out of the way helps) he seems to just sleep for most of it and uses the paper we put down in the kitchen for toilet.

I don't know what to do with him i suppose the only way to see how it goes is to try him  :huh: :huh:  ph34r

sheepscheeks you are not cruel at all, it is what suits you and your surroundings best  :D

Thanks for the replies ladies as always very helpful  ;)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »

When Honey was a pup, she had a crate, but never seemed keen on it.
We never shut the door, and she would pull all of her bedding out and "nest" elsewhere... so we changed to a bed quite quickly (we could restrict her to one room, so no problems with getting hold of stuff she shouldn't!).

However she had real issues settling at my in-laws house... so following advice on here we reintroduced the crate - she now sleeps in this with the door shut at night and has been great.  Through the day (if we are out) she has the dining room and conservatory, as she would chew stuff in the lounge (and bark at passers by) if she had access there.... She loves her crate now, and will head in there if she is feeling insecure about anything....  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline *Yvonne*

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »
Must admit ben has a bed in the living room that he sleeps in but if there are alot of people in the house he goes in his cage.
He is fine in his cage and sleeps well, maybe i should just leave the door open on it and see how he goes.

Offline MuckyMeech

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 09:22:31 PM »
Bomber is in a crate in the dining room (quietest room in the house) and loves it in there. At the moment he can't seem to settle in the living room in the evenings (keeps doing flat out circuits around the room and over the furniture  :005: ) so he tends to go to his crate for his quiet time too and never worries.

Eventually I would like to reclaim my dining room (his crate is huge!) but for the time being I don't trust him enough to be free in the house, and he really seems to enjoy his own space away from the hussle and bustle anyway, so he will remain crated. 

Offline Pip895

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 09:19:43 AM »
We started with Saffi in a crate with the door shut over night, then progressed to a pen with the crate in it with the door of the crate open (from about 12 weeks once she had got the hang of house training).

She is now nearly 6 months old and we have just decided to ditch the pen. We will keep the crate for the time being.  I don't think she will ever have the freedom of the living room though - she is too fond of the sofa! ph34r
We may buy her a dog basket and see if she prefers it to her crate - a crate isn't exactly a thing of beauty is it! :005:

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 04:32:27 PM »
Penny is nearly 11 months and has always slept in her bed in the kitchen and seems fine. She never sleeps in her bed through the day, just on the sofas , the chairs, or sunbathes on the floor.

Offline floydlennon

• Site Member
  • floyd lennon
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 04:35:41 PM »
floyds not much of a puppy now but he has been in bed with me for ages lol even when he was a puppy  :005:

Offline Lucianne

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 06:04:04 PM »

She ended up there the first night, and has been there every night since....   :shades: :005:  :005:

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »
Thats where penny sleeps
Penny Black Jennys niece