Author Topic: Transition from crate to bed?  (Read 675 times)

Offline oxfordowners

Transition from crate to bed?
« on: March 29, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »
Our 5 month old puppy has been sleeping in his crate with the door closed and seems to like it and feel safe in there. However, he's growing and in the last couple days I've seen him sleeping on the floor, and he is looking bit big for the crate, so we might need to buy a bigger crate - or the other option is to transition to a bed. Does anybody have advice on what age you would do this? I'm not sure I trust him yet not to toilet on the floor at night or when we have to leave him alone. He's been very good about not soiling his crate.

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
Re: Transition from crate to bed?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:42:53 PM »
Tali came home at 9 weeks and slept in my bed for about 5 nights and has slept in his own bed ever since. He likes the crate when the door is open only but won't sleep in there ever. He eats in there though.

Do what you feel is best.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Sue E

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »
Ozzy used to sleep in a closed crate at night, then we started leaving the door open all night and sometimes he slept in it and other times we found him under the dining table!  We took it down about 3 months ago and he has a nice comfy bed in the same spot.  We only use the crate when going on long car journeys now. 
Perhaps try just leaving the door open and see what he does.

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »
Mason is 20 months old now and still sleeps in his crate.  He takes himself off to it when he has had enough for the day and I can't see a time when I would want to change that.
Elaine & Mason X

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:31:05 PM »
Douglas 7 months still sleeps in his crate at night , he takes himself off and the door is shut when we get into bed , However Dennis 15 months likes to share my bed  :D

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 11:49:22 PM »
I sort of wish Tali would sleep there sometimes. It's just I can't have a whining barking pup all night in flats. He goes in there when I go shopping but the noise is awful and everything including himself needs washing on my return LOL.

I actually don't like locking animals away and maybe he senses this.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Pip895

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 10:12:49 AM »
 Id defiantly start by leaving the crate door open and finding out if he still needs to be crated - if he doesn't then you have a choice of which way to go - crate or basket. 

Do you have a pen, or room for a pen - we used this as a half way house for quite a while.

Offline Chedi

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:13:15 PM »
With Dylan, I'm not worrying about him and toilet training, he is really good and sussed it quick. Its just his barking. We have the crate in the corner, so two sides are covered - then the top and front are covering in a fleece/blanket - so only one side open. If the blanket doesnt cover even one corner (we have to tuck it in) Dylan barks the house down!

I have no idea why he can only handle one side open and not the other..so for ours, its going to be a while before we move him into a bed - if we ever do so.

If you feel like you can trust yours, try it for one night.. each dog is different :) he might surprise you

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 08:17:30 AM »
My dogs are 6 and 4 and both have their own crate and bed :005: They use both about equally ;)