Author Topic: where does your pup sleep?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline tritonx

Re: where does your pup sleep?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »
Fraser 9 1/2 months used to be in a hard sided crate with the door closed, but now he sleeps by my bed in his own bed, but behind a wing of a pen so he won't go after the cat in the middle of the night. I should try one night to see if maybe sleepytime is catsafe time, but I'm pretty sure Fraser would get up and chase the cat as cat wanders around a lot in the night.

Offline Sarah71

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »
I think I must be a meanie!  :005:

Dylan is crated every night and also when I go to do the school run/shopping etc. I'd not let him have the run of the house yet, although he is only 14.5 weeks old :)

He's never been upstairs, and his crate is in the living room. Occasionally he'll go into his crate without us asking, but he much prefers to sleep in a sunny area on the carpet in the lounge, or on the sofa  >:D :luv: :luv:

I am sure in time we'll let him have more freedom, but not whilst he is still occasionally producing piddle puddles!  :005:

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »
Selby sleeps in his crate in the lounge, and will not sleep anywhere else, we have tried and he just bites and thinks its playtime, I am so longing for a cuddle, the door is left open all day unless we go out, which is not very often without him, I think he feel secure in there and when he steals things thats were he heads for and thinks if he cant see us then we cant see him he loves his crate.

Offline *Yvonne*

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I think i will leave Ben in his crate at the moment, he isn't wee'ing at night anymore which is positive but i don't want him to get bored and go tearing around the livingroom etc.
 :005:

Offline cheriehenlow

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
Archie who is 7 months sleeps in his bed with a load of dog blankets in the kitchen and seems to love it. However he never sleeps in his dog bed during the day just on the sofa's or the rug or he relaxes by the front door. lol.

Offline ginnygirl

• Bella
    • http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/ginnygirl_album/adc60ac1.jpg
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 06:42:22 PM »
Ginny sleeps in her closed crate every night in my bedroom and is happy in there. I have it closed so she cant chase the cats as they come and go through the pet flap during the night. Also I am planning a week away when she will stay with my Dad in Sept so i think her crate routine will be security for her and help her settle at night in a different house.....I also think it may help if i take her on hols with me at some point and want her to settle somewhere new or need to leave her in a holiday cottage or caravan for short periods. She also likes to go in her crate if I am hoovering as she hates the noise  :lol: Through the day she sleeps on the sofa and chairs. I have just taken her out of her playpen when i go out and leave her in the kitchen with a fleecy bed....not sure if she prefers the pen tho  :-\. I'm going to keep her restricted to certain areas in my absence until I'm absolutely sure I can trust her not to get up to mischief as once bad  habits are formed they may be hard to break.
Julie

Offline cheriehenlow

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »
Ginny sleeps in her closed crate every night in my bedroom and is happy in there. I have it closed so she cant chase the cats as they come and go through the pet flap during the night. Also I am planning a week away when she will stay with my Dad in Sept so i think her crate routine will be security for her and help her settle at night in a different house.....I also think it may help if i take her on hols with me at some point and want her to settle somewhere new or need to leave her in a holiday cottage or caravan for short periods. She also likes to go in her crate if I am hoovering as she hates the noise  :lol: Through the day she sleeps on the sofa and chairs. I have just taken her out of her playpen when i go out and leave her in the kitchen with a fleecy bed....not sure if she prefers the pen tho  :-\. I'm going to keep her restricted to certain areas in my absence until I'm absolutely sure I can trust her not to get up to mischief as once bad  habits are formed they may be hard to break.
have you any pics of Ginny I can look at?

Offline ginnygirl

• Bella
    • http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt207/ginnygirl_album/adc60ac1.jpg
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »
There are some good pics of her taken at a meet up at the weekend...not sure how to paste the link here but if you go to COL meet up pics and look at the north east meet pics on 21st march you will see them......there are some good ones in the slide show.....I didnt take them which is why they are good  :lol:
Julie

Offline sarahbe

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »
Charlie and Holly sleep where ever they want to if I am in in the day. On their beds in the kitchen if I am not. And at night on whichever bed they want to!- Usually mine! And if its really cold..........................!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 11:26:35 AM »
errrr my crate has been up for the past 7 years now - mine still sleep in it (door open) when they want and the cats either sleep in it or on top of it (there's a fleecy bed there) :005:
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline maccie75

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 08:01:02 PM »
Marco sleeps on my bed, we used to have a bed in the kitchen for him but he would often whine and always wee. Since he has come upstairs he will go from 10pm - 6.30am dry with no accidents at all and he just settles down and keeps my feet warm  :luv:

He is 6 months on Thursday, am now considering giving him the run of the house whilst we are out as he likes to settle on the sofa and sleep may give him a bit more freedom as he does sometimes bark on the 2 days I am in work (as my neighbour told me)!!!

Debbie

Offline cockers rock!

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 11:06:07 PM »
Hector now nearly 11 months sleeps in his crate in the kitchen - we bought it to help with house training but he is really happy in it so the plan is to keep it.  It is his own space / den and at night it is covered.

It seem to be a instinctive trait for dogs to seek out areas that provide 'protection' Hector will squeeze under the telephone seat/ armchair /anything etc that makes them feel enclosed &  protected

I like using the crate as it makes travelling with Hector easy - when he comes up to London he has a duplicate crate which means he adjusts quickly

However I am sure he would prefer to sleep on my bed but as much as I love my mud magnet spanner spaniel an unhygenic bed is not an option for me!!

Offline BeckyD

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 11:16:20 PM »
ellie had a puppy pen but completly hated it and sqealed every night! so in the end she came up to the bedroom and slept in her bed without a peep and no mess to wake up to in the morning! sometimes i let her lie up on the bed but usually shes in her own basket. i dunno how everyone can get their pups to sleep in crates etc  :huh:, Ellie was a complete nightmare lol
Life is only worth living when it is blidingly colourful and the occassional mess

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 11:20:25 PM »
Gosh am I a soft touch, Annie has always slept in our bed (mainly cos Maisie cavvy does)..we even slept on the floor with her for 3 weeks when she forst came home as was worried she'd fall off our bed.....Dog have I made some errors  ph34r ph34r ph34r
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline SallyC

• My Boys
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 01:18:17 PM »
Olly (nearly 8 months) spent his first night on his bed next to ours - he was brilliant and has been ever since.  He has since made it up onto the bed, but sometimes when he wants time to himself he takes himself downstairs and sleeps on the sofa - he does whatever he pleases!!

We have had Alfie for a week now (9 weeks old) - he too spent his first night on his bed next to ours and has quickly progressed and is now sleeping on our bed, lying on his back with his legs in the air (and snoring!!) - he's a little sweetie.  As long as one of us takes him out for a wee in the night he's fine (I keep thinking this is too good to be true) but I'm hoping he will continue to take a lead from Olly and learn from him - fingers crossed, so far so good!!

Could have a problem though as Alfie gets bigger, either myself or OH could end up sleeping on the floor - wouldn't have it any other way though. Anything for my boys!!
Dogs' lives are too short.  Their only fault, really.