Author Topic: What's the best thing to do?  (Read 974 times)

Offline *Yvonne*

What's the best thing to do?
« on: April 25, 2010, 10:37:14 PM »
Hi guys

I've not been on for a while now, things have been manic  ::)

My question.........
My husband and i went away last weekend and my children went with their grandma and grandad and Ben went to my brothers to play with his boxer.

We had taken him there the week before a few times to play and the "get used to each other" Things were certainly energetic, running around playing, sniffing, mithering etc but very little settling. it was tiring.
When he had spent the weekend there and we picked him up my sister in law said he'd started nipping her boxer.  "brian" is a bigger dog than Ben and i suppose as it was Brians territory he will be protective and dominant. BUT Brian did stand over Ben alot and wasn't letting him go far  :005: :005: Only playing but I can see why Ben would Nip so to get him away.

My problem is though I wanted to get another cocker as a play mate but with Ben being here on his own for a while would he "Nip" the puppy as it is his home and noy used to sharing???
He doesn't nip dogs on walks or friends dogs, i m just hoping it was because the boxer was very dominant and over powering he felt helpless (can't think of a better word)

He is a very good dog, REALLY good with the kids and visitors and so obedient so i know it isn't his temperament.

What shall i do????  :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: What's the best thing to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:48:54 PM »
When you say he was nipping.... can you describe more?  Maggie has her best mate, Miska, who is a four year old collie cross and Maggie will nip her literally just to make Miska play with her..... theres nothing malicious in it. And when they are playing and it get a little rougher than either of them wants they will let the other know in no uncertain terms, not by nipping but a more definite "back off" ...  but then they are back to  best mates again.  For them its just dog talk.  From what you describe thats what it sounds like Ben is doing with your SIL's dog..... bit of dog communication  :dunno:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline MolliesMom

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 10:59:46 PM »
Mollie is always nipping daughters german shepherd - usually around the face. Jess bless her puts up with it nearly all the time but sometimes will give mollie a warning nip . . . and mollie backs off ( well for a micro second )
She just wants Jess to play - nothing aggressive in it.
'If a dog thinks you are the best, dont seek a second opinion'.

Offline *Yvonne*

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »
By nipping I mean "snapping" at him, he drew blood on his jowl apparently.
BUT like I say the boxer didn't give him 2 minutes, it's like he was always trying to remind him he was boss by being dominant (i.e standing over him or hitting him with his paw)

He is a playful pup it could have just been playing but is it normal to draw blood?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 11:30:35 PM »
By nipping I mean "snapping" at him, he drew blood on his jowl apparently.
BUT like I say the boxer didn't give him 2 minutes, it's like he was always trying to remind him he was boss by being dominant (i.e standing over him or hitting him with his paw)

He is a playful pup it could have just been playing but is it normal to draw blood?

If you did decide to get another pup, I'm guessing that you would be on the spot to monitor any probs at start, and with them both being relatively the same size (compared to himself and boxer) he would not feel so threatened that he would need to nip. 

With Katie and Smudge at first there was a bit of 'I'm in charge, so watch it' but in time they learnt the boundaries, with the aid of a few squeaks and squeals from them both. They get on really well now (well except for the odd skirmish of course  ::) )
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 08:02:03 AM »

What shall i do????  :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Wait until your pup is 18 months old before you get another one, that's what I would do  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline *Yvonne*

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »
I was going to wait until he was older before i got another one but i didn't know if getting another would be wise

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 04:59:20 PM »
how old is your pup now?  Dogs change an incredible amount in the first 2 years of their lives and he sounds like an over-exuberant pup to me (that probably needs a few good telling off's by adult dogs to stop his childish rudeness)
helen & jarvis x

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 05:32:22 PM »
how old is your pup now?  Dogs change an incredible amount in the first 2 years of their lives and he sounds like an over-exuberant pup to me (that probably needs a few good telling off's by adult dogs to stop his childish rudeness)

Was just thinking the same thing - sounds like he just needs a few lessons in doggy etiquette from some adult role models.  :)
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown