Author Topic: Safe puppy toys!!!  (Read 1318 times)

Offline *Jes*

Safe puppy toys!!!
« on: May 12, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
Hi

Can anyone recommend "safe" entertaining dog toys I can leave my puppy with when we have to go out?  All the solid rubber ones look so heavy and unappealing - I can only find one called "the kong"

Any suggestions I would be greatful
Thanks

Offline Sue E

Re: Safe puppy toys!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 01:54:46 PM »
I have found Kongs to be the best thing for them to be honest - they are pretty indestructible!  Anything made out of the strong rubber stuff like a kong will keep them whole and safe, but a kong can be used with biscuits/treats to keep puppy amused for longer  :005:

They need something to chew on so if you don't want it to be your furniture/walls/skirting boards......you'll need something similar to a kong!  You can get little ones for puppies

Offline *Jes*

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »
Thanks for your speedy reply - would like to avoid the chewed skirting board issues  :D
I remember someone mentioning some sort of ball you could put treats in too!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 02:30:41 PM »
Kongs are great but just bear in mind the need to inspect them etc if left alone...
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=69330.0 is a   to a post where there was a very poorly pup having bitten off the top of the puppy kong and swallowed it, only to end up in surgery a few weeks later.
PAH do a treat ball, no guarantees pup will get on with them tho - Mag's just spent the whole time walking around with it having hooked her teeth through the treat hole  :005:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »
This was a quandry I had with Harvey.

I bypassed the puppy kong and bought a small adult kong (the red ones) and a large one (the red rubber seems to be tougher than the puppy blue kongs) - I used to fill the small one with kibble and top it off with peanut butter - the larger one I'd fill with carrots and chopped up hotdogs - fill it with a natural bouillion and freeze it (remember to plug the small hole in the kong first, with something like cream cheese or peanut butter - otherwise the bouillion just pours out!!) These two used to keep Harvey happy for a couple of hours whilst I was out - now he just sleeps while I'm away!! I have two of each size so I can rotate them - one in the freezer while one being used...

....kongs are also great to put in their food bowl if your pup has a tendency to hoover their food!! Just place the kong in the food - because the Kong restricts the space available for pup to yomp at the food, it slows down the eating process - it's worked so well with Harvey that we don't need to use one now - he just takes his time!

The treat balls are great - but as another COLer pointed out to me - there are small parts in that - as well as dips and grooves where pups teeth can get caught - so I never leave him unattended with the treat ball.
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
One of Odie's favourite toys was not actually a toy - it was one of my plastic water bottles (either with kibble inside or not).  He spent hours bashing it about, still does in fact!  Just make sure the top is securely on, check it regularly for damage and never leave them alone with it.  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 04:43:32 PM »
Busy Buddy do a really nice range of puppy toys now too.  Personally, I always see how the dogs get on with the toys while supervised before deciding whether to leave them with them.  If they haven't caused any damage after the first few uses, I feel happy to leave them with them unsupervised.   ;)
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline *Jes*

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:52:20 PM »
Hey, Thanks all for the input,

Sounds like I will have to buy a few Kongs!!!!!!!! and experiment  ::)