Author Topic: Droopy Eyes - a cause for concern?  (Read 9790 times)

Offline seanwalker

Droopy Eyes - a cause for concern?
« on: August 02, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
We have just put down a deposit for a puppy to pick up early next month. We have not yet committed to a choice between two females.

One exhibits a more independent personality and its coat color is a consistent caramel, with minor white around the chest area - exactly what we desire. The other is more withdrawn, but loyal - it has a lighter coat with white spots around the nose and the paws which I am personally not too fond of. The choice between the two purely based on personality is difficult enough.

However, my biggest cause for concern is is that the more energetic one with the preferred coat has droopy eyes. More than the possible health issues down the road, we are very adamant that we own a puppy with a clear, bold stare. Something about the droopy eyes gives the appearance of lathargy (although I am full aware this is not the case). The gaze is a real clincher in this case - and so I have added a link to the puppy in question.

http://s-on.tumblr.com/

Although I do not have any photos of the other puppy, I did not notice any visible white areas of its eyes between the iris and the upper/lower eye lids - and compared to the others pups, the one in question has a more noticeable area of white between the iris and lower eye lid. She also seems to have more weight around the brow which tilts the lateral angle of the eyes, pushing it slightly downwards.

Is this an exaggeration on my part - or possibly something that will correct itself over time, or are these traits at an early age consistent throughout its adult life?

Offline gholmes

Re: Droopy Eyes - a cause for concern?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »
Hi,

when my puppy came home and he had very droopy eyes, and it was something that everybody commented on. Now at 5 months old they are no longer droopy. So I would say they can change over time, well Alfie's did.

Graeme

Offline gholmes

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »
Doesn't show his eyes very well in the first pic, but Alfie has gone from this:

To this:

Graeme

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »
Looks like a lovely healthy puppy to me. I would be more concerned that mum and dad have been current clear health tests, etc. Also, I believe that personality comes with upbringing in conjuction with good breeding  :luv:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 10:44:31 PM »
Sean, is the puppy an English Cocker or American Cocker? I notice you are in Canada and the photo doesn't look totally like I'd expect for an English Cocker (rounder skull, rounder eyes) so advice on health tests needed etc will differ if this is an American Cocker. From the photo, the eyes do not look particularly loose but unpigmented third eyelids can make the expression look different so perhaps this is what you are noticing.
Jane

Offline seanwalker

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:58:54 PM »
The puppy is an English cocker.

I was originally concerned with the same thing you are describing Jenny - the Dam had a somewhat shorter nose and her skull did appear on the round side for an English cocker. However she most definately wasn't an American. I just assumed it was more on the shorter side for an English Cocker which is what my partner prefers.

This is her third and final litter for the Dam - and this time round she has had 6.

We were hoping to find a look that was more similair to a field English Cocker Spaniel in the way they can almost resemble a smaller version of the Irish Setter.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2654/4059193069_e79063a049.jpg

Some of the other pups in the litter appear to have more pronounced features (especially the males) - a more evenly rounded skull, well proportioned nose and mouth area.

I just thought it was a little too early to call on the facial proportions just yet because it is only 8 weeks old. We can see the two pups as many times as we like and intend to pick it up at 14 weeks old, and will make a choice during this time.

The Dam has a OFA certificate for hips and a CERF for eyes - the contract does detail a temperament guarantee and no history of hereditary illness.

I guess the eyes were a big concern because a part of me instictively felt that this could not change over time.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 02:29:41 PM »
The Dam has a OFA certificate for hips and a CERF for eyes - the contract does detail a temperament guarantee and no history of hereditary illness.

I guess the eyes were a big concern because a part of me instictively felt that this could not change over time.

Have the parents been Optigen DNA tested for PRA & FN? Most of the ECS breeders I know in North America do these tests so would be concerned if your breeder doesn't. I'm wondering whether the pup is from working lines rather than show lines as there are field-bred ECS being bred your side of the pond which might explain the different head shape. Anyway, you have plenty of time to decide if this pup is for you - good luck :blink:
Jane

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »
The puppy is an English cocker.

I was originally concerned with the same thing you are describing Jenny - the Dam had a somewhat shorter nose and her skull did appear on the round side for an English cocker. However she most definately wasn't an American. I just assumed it was more on the shorter side for an English Cocker which is what my partner prefers.

This is her third and final litter for the Dam - and this time round she has had 6.

We were hoping to find a look that was more similair to a field English Cocker Spaniel in the way they can almost resemble a smaller version of the Irish Setter.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2654/4059193069_e79063a049.jpg

Some of the other pups in the litter appear to have more pronounced features (especially the males) - a more evenly rounded skull, well proportioned nose and mouth area.

I just thought it was a little too early to call on the facial proportions just yet because it is only 8 weeks old. We can see the two pups as many times as we like and intend to pick it up at 14 weeks old, and will make a choice during this time.

the image you have posted from Flickr is of an English working cocker - I guess you call them field spaniels in the states but Working cockers and Field spaniels are 2 very different breeds over here.

The photo of the pup you have posted does not look particularly working cocker to me - more american cocker x -  and I don't think would turn out at all like the working cocker in the flickr image
helen & jarvis x