Author Topic: Please help - not sure if this is normal and at my wits end...  (Read 10054 times)

Offline Sarah1985

Re: Please help - not sure if this is normal and at my wits end...
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010, 02:57:26 PM »

Dasiy is not only a close relative of Brie she is also related to nicolas weevil, im not saying this in the sense of "we have great working cockers and other peoples are crap" because thats not true and not what I mean but Brie, weevil, Seth and Daisy are complete out and out working dogs that are extreamly driven and very high maintenance.

I couldnt think of a pup less suited to a pet home.

I really, really dont want to come across all doom and gloom, up myself or a know it all (probably too late for that  ph34r) but I do know these dogs.

Michelle you know whatever you decide and whatever you need im here  :bigarmhug:

It does sound alitle like your question the ability of anyone else without a working cocker from Daisys line to comments. However I know what you mean. Different lines can vary greatly and after holidaying in Scotland recently I suspect there are regional differences in the breed and how higher working drive they have.

My two have been bred for Calm steadyness and trainability. I picked the lines/breeders for that reason and in particular after watching Clovers Dad work. This a noticable move away from the high energy dogs they were once bred for. Maybe this is a Yorkshire move and otheer regions are taking the lines in different directions... Anyway that'll be a completely different thread.

Im sorry for the harsh comments I made. Im a very logical person whose obbessive over puchasing decisions and im slightly confused at those that dont do the same level as reseach as me when buy something completely life changing as a dog.

I would prob agree with your summary that this dog is going to find life difficult in a pet enviroment.

So unless Daisys going to be worked or a huge amount of time devoted to her then this may not be the home for her.

Good luck with what ever decision you reach

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »

Dasiy is not only a close relative of Brie she is also related to nicolas weevil, im not saying this in the sense of "we have great working cockers and other peoples are crap" because thats not true and not what I mean but Brie, weevil, Seth and Daisy are complete out and out working dogs that are extreamly driven and very high maintenance.

I couldnt think of a pup less suited to a pet home.

I really, really dont want to come across all doom and gloom, up myself or a know it all (probably too late for that  ph34r) but I do know these dogs.

Michelle you know whatever you decide and whatever you need im here  :bigarmhug:

It does sound alitle like your question the ability of anyone else without a working cocker from Daisys line to comments. However I know what you mean. Different lines can vary greatly and after holidaying in Scotland recently I suspect there are regional differences in the breed and how higher working drive they have.

My two have been bred for Calm steadyness and trainability. I picked the lines/breeders for that reason and in particular after watching Clovers Dad work. This a noticable move away from the high energy dogs they were once bred for. Maybe this is a Yorkshire move and otheer regions are taking the lines in different directions... Anyway that'll be a completely different thread.

Im sorry for the harsh comments I made. Im a very logical person whose obbessive over puchasing decisions and im slightly confused at those that dont do the same level as reseach as me when buy something completely life changing as a dog.

I would prob agree with your summary that this dog is going to find life difficult in a pet enviroment.

So unless Daisys going to be worked or a huge amount of time devoted to her then this may not be the home for her.

Good luck with what ever decision you reach

I dont at all question the ability of anyone else to comment my post was just to make sure they understood what they were commenting on. As you say there is a vast difference in what lines produce. My Jack and Brie although both working, working cockers are completley different dogs in so many ways. Jacks a real steady Eddie and he would never be described as flashy but Bries a complete out and out phenomanal, fearless hunter who does turn heads (sometimes for the right reasons and sometimes for the wrong ones  :lol2:).

Both dogs have their strenghs and weaknesses and im really not saying one is better than the other but at the end of a day one of them could manage in a active pet home and the other just couldnt no matter what was done with her. If I didnt work her she would work herself.

So my post was only aimed at making people aware of the type of dog michelle and her family have.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »
Have read through this thread with interest ....and a growing sense of sympathy with Michelle's dilema.

I really think I have been lucky with Katie pup - altho described as a 'worker' I think she must have been hiding behind the door when 'hunting drive' was being dished out.  ::) Agreed she is more hard work than Smudge and if not given stimulation and exercise she would make up her own entertainment (such as chewing things which she should not..she only does this when bored or left too long so I know it is my fault) but while she loves to go to the woods and scuttle through the undergrowth, find muddy puddles or get me to throw her tuggy for her to catch, she certainly does not come across as needing to be constantly busy or working.

Please be assured that I do not say this out of smugness - I just think I have been most fortunate in the way things have worked out, and there is certainly a lot of difference between say Katie and Daisy, both workers but which when you see them at 6-8 weeks old (all cute and cuddly) is not always apparent.

Whatever you decide to do about Daisy I wish you the best of luck.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »
I have a highly driven worker that doesn't work. She comes from working parents, and has many ftch's in her pedigree. To be perfectly honest, there is NO WAY I could have coped with her if I'd also had children. I'm not saying YOU won't be able to, but there lies the answer, only YOU know if you and your family will be able to cope and find the time to give your dog what it will definitely need. Chloe is also my first dog, so that meant double trouble, and I had no access to any trainers or classes of any description up here. She had me tearing my hair out and shedding many a tear when she was a puppy, and even now, she can send me to distraction! As we live alone, and I don't work, I've been able to dedicate alot of time to her. I do alot of clicker training (even teaching her tricks helps to keep her little mind stimulated); I get her to hunt around the house for her food (hidden in cartons); I am constantly, STILL, trying to work on keeping her calm in distracting situations; she will chase sheep given half a chance and her recall, whilst reasonably good on most occasions, goes completely out the window when she's off on a scent, be that deer, rabbit, voles....whatever. Sometimes, I feel really guilty that I can't work Chloe cos I'm convinced she would have been a fantastic working dog, had I had the opportunities to train her to do what she was bred for. I guess what I'm saying is, prepare yourself for some very, very hard work. If you have access to gundog or even obedience training then all the better. And when Daisy is old enough, agility would be brilliant for her. Lots of working cockers on here do really well at agility. I really feel for you and hope that you can make the decision that is best for you and your family. If you DO decide you are in a position to satisfy her needs, and you have the time to commit, then you'll likely as not, land up with a fantastic family pet that you'll all adore. For all the problems I've had with Chloe, I wouldn't swap her for the world. She's almost become my raison d'etre   :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline saffysmum

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 08:38:17 AM »
I think one of the 'issues' is the fact that you have jumped from a well-behaved, aged, trained to your lifestyle, Boxer to a working cocker puppy.  I don't think you could get more different!  I recently bought a puppy after some years of owning older, trained, calmer springer and cocker and OMG >:D  You forget how difficult it is owning a puppy regardless of how it is bred.  They are evil and sent to test us >:D  Only you know what's best for you and your family but I know loads of working cockers.  Some workers and some in family homes.  It is true that in family homes, the family needs to be prepared to work harder but they use quite a few training games that I use cos I don't want my 'showgirl' to forget her roots!!
At this point I just want to add that my OH works away and we have a 10 yr old, 8 yr old, 6 yr old and 18mth old as well as 4 month old Saffy(cocker), 3 yr old Cody (working springer), and Ruby 8 yr old(cocker) and I work from home.
We have a treat ball which kibble falls out - a much loved game
We play loads of 'find it' games round the house and garden.  You can involve the kids by 'hiding' them but they are easy to find as they are usually giggling!!  Our lot love finding the kids.
When out walking, we hide from the dogs.  Thye love to find us and it greatly improves recall.
Obedience training - total must in our house and Saffy is mentally knackered after half an hour!
Swimming for the dummy - not strenuous on the joints but works the mind and body well!

Good luck with whatever you decide!!
There is a puddle on the floor,
tis there for all to see,
now is this puddle H20,
or is this K9 pee?

Offline mmeears

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »
Thanks Saffysmum, SkyeSue and everyone else who has contributed to this post and passed on their thoughts/advice. I think if Daisy was a "typical" working cocker (that is if there is such a thing ;)) who only needed regular and consistent mental and physical stimulation then we would knuckle down and enjoy every hard but rewarding minute of it - that is after all what attracted us to the working cocker, I definitely didn't want a cuddly teddy/lap dog. However after giving this matter huge thought it is abundantly clear to me that I cannot even begin to offer Daisy the home she so desperately needs and, more importantly, deserves. I think anyone who knows and understands working cockers and who studied Daisy's lines would completely agree with and support my decision. As I understand it, pure working dogs with Daisy's lines are quite hard to find and, whilst I appreciate that some may think I over relied on what the sire and dam's breeders told me, Daisy is not and never will be a family pet no matter what training or work I do with her now and as an adult. I am taking responsibility for my decision and I am not blaming anyone else and rest assured this is something which will cause me heartache til the end of my days :'(.

We are working with 2 working cocker experts to ensure that Daisy is placed in the right home for her and that is now my sole priority, she will be going up to stay with Nicola who will work with her and make sure she ends up in the right home. Thank you all so so much, again, for your kind and caring words. Thank goodness cockers have people like you.

Michelle x

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 09:47:32 AM »

I have been following this thread.     My thoughts go out to you and your family you have had to make a hard decision,  you have listened to your head and not your heart.   Big hugs to all who are involved with this. :bigarmhug:   

Erica, Dylan & Jessie.

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 09:56:01 AM »
I just want to say that michelle and her family are lovely people who are absolutley commited to doing whats best for Daisy.

They couldnt of been unluckier in thier choice of pup and have made a very selfless decision putting Daisys needs first and not there own.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: from here.

I just wanted to add that michelle and family have gone through hell the last few weeks so please give her a break and if anyone wants to critisise her or her decisions feel free to pm or direct it at me.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010, 10:08:31 AM »
I too have been following this thread and I really feel for you Michelle  :bigarmhug: It is very clear that you have Daisys best interests at heart and you have given it so much thought and heartache. I think you have obviouslly come to the right decision for you, your family and of course Daisy, and no one could ever question you for that. I wish you all the best and would love to hear how Daisy gets on in the future. Lots of love to you all xxx

Offline Nelly

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010, 10:39:44 AM »
Hi there
I couldnt agree more. You have made a heartbreaking and totally selfless decision.
My thoughts are with you.
xxxxx

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2010, 11:02:47 AM »
I was also following this and just wanted to send  :bigarmhug:.

I think you've made a very brave decision and sounds like it's the right one for your family.

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline JohnW

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »
My thoughts are with you too Michelle, although it doesnt seem a happy ending at the present time it will be longterm I am sure.... :D

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2010, 11:21:42 AM »
Big hugs from me also, I feel you have been very unfortunate and have dealt with the problems you have faced in the best, be it very painful, way for your family and for Daisy.

:bigarmhug:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2010, 11:28:34 AM »
Wishing you the very best of luck...what a brave lady you are :'( :'(

(Just one comment though.....please don't ever think you cannot have a Working Dog with an extremely high drive as a pet who does love cuddles and sleeps on the sofa.....we have proved this with Finn.......BUT from 5 months until this day, we have always had the help of a Gun Dog trainer....it does make an immense difference to have someone who knows how their minds work to help you get the best out of them.....I know I would be feeling just as over whelmed without this too)

Hope your family are ok :bigarmhug:

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2010, 11:40:07 AM »

I have been following this thread.     My thoughts go out to you and your family you have had to make a hard decision,  you have listened to your head and not your heart.   Big hugs to all who are involved with this. :bigarmhug:   

From me too  :bigarmhug:
Janet & Poppy