Author Topic: A mouthy one! is this normal  (Read 764 times)

Offline Manchester_Spaniel

A mouthy one! is this normal
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:26:15 AM »
Hi All

I wanted to ask your expert advice on something to do with my almost 9 month old pupster Freddie

Fred seems to use his mouth a LOT to say hello, let me know he is there, get my attention. Its not a nip or a bite its more mouthing, so he will open his jaw and gently grab say my arm or hand and it then turns into a lick. Is this mouthiness normal or is it be something I should seek to control?

Thanks everyone

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Re: A mouthy one! is this normal
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »
it's not unnatural for pups to use their mouths in this way, but, I guess you wouldn't want it to escalate and for him to be applying pressure  :-\
Theres some tips in threads at the top of the puppies section on dealing with biting/nipping/mouthing.

Our youngest is 6 years, and occasionally she still does this, but usually only if she's excited and we're playing a game, but she does it and then licks too, it's almost like an apology for the mouthing!

When both ours were younger we did a little yelp each time they mouthed or nipped us in play to teach them to be gentle.

Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:47:25 AM »
 ph34r I have a lab like this - he grabs hold of my sleeve to pull my arm down so he gets attention (blimey hope Mark doesn't read this) and I am ashamed to say I haven't stopped him  ph34r He puts his mouth over my hand and gently massages my hand with his mouth, no pressure is ever used he has a fantastic soft mouth and he doesn't do it to the kids or anyone else for that matteras we did nip it in the bud but I wasn't consistant when he did / does it to me  :shades:

Personally I would suggest you nip this in the bud now, but the old saying comes to mind 'do as I say and NOT as I do'  :005:

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 12:17:34 PM »
How else is he going to hold your hand & tell you he loves you ?? :D
All my dogs have done it, I just say "gentle" :005:
If it is hard,  >:D  I agree with the quick "yelp" from whoever he is doing it to, its always worked for me  :shades:              regards julie (because I still can't do a picture or signature  >:D)
regards from Julie & Kez