Author Topic: agressive playtime  (Read 650 times)

Offline Livened

agressive playtime
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:32:17 PM »
Hi all,

Since adding Monty to our home about 3 weeks ago, things have mostly gone smoothly.

Having had Bella from 8 weeks she has had to adjust to sharing us with her brother and we are seeing massive improvements in her jealously in the house.

However, when we're out on walks its a different story!

If Monty says hello to another dog, as soon as I've recalled them Bella growls and chases him quite agressively - almost as if she's scolding him for having other doggy friends.  If I give her a treat as I recall it somehow distracts her and prevents her from fighting him and then we carry on our walk.

She does try and dominate him a bit (although this is improving), and she always wants the toy he has - Monty always let's her have it so she's definitely top dog.

Has anyone any experience of this themselves when adding another dog to the household (bella is 8 months and Monty is 7 months old)?

I know a bit of play fighting is acceptable but it seems to be getting out of hand and I want to get in control before it escalates.  Might also be worth mentioning Bella has just recently been spayed so don't know whether her hormones are going a bit haywire which doesn't help.

Thanks so much for any advice people can offer.

X

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
Re: agressive playtime
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »
I'm no expert but could you exercise them separately for a while? They are very close in age aren't they.
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Sarah1985

Re: agressive playtime
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 06:24:33 AM »
Seperate walks is my advice too. Monty needs to bee ableto make doggy friends without Bella stepping in.

If you have to walk them together, Have you thought about just calling one back so the other can say  hello without interference?