Author Topic: Nacho v. poorly :( BUT GREAT NEWS !  (Read 12223 times)

Offline Welsh_Wizard

Re: General puppy advice for 14 week old boy cocker
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 02:55:15 PM »
Well needless to say I've had better days. Off to the vets soon. No poops today at all and a few dry heaves.

Treats have been binned and the giant sack of mixed food is currently being resorted. Only about 6kg to go. Feel like a complete schmuck. Not just due to Nacho being ill, likely caused by my tinkering but also serious sleep deprivation :(

Can I have recipes and cooking instructions for the chicken stuff please? Off to Tescos on the way home to get some chicken for him whilst he's on nurse-watch. Poor Nacho :(

Offline jessandme

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Chicken and rice - just cook a couple of handfuls of some ordinary white rice, not brown rice, you want it as bland as possible - cut the chicken breast (no bones, no skin) in strips so it cooks faster, and just lay it on top of the rice in the pan.  This way the chicken poaches whilst the rice cooks, stays nice and moist too, and you only need one pan.  Sometimes I microwave the chicken instead.

When everything is cooked, cut the chicken into little pieces or shred it with a fork, and mix it in with the rice.  You want about equal amounts of chicken and rice.  Let it cool down to room temperature before giving it to Nacho.  Store in the fridge of course.

Hope that Nacho feels better soon - and also hope that you get some sleep!  It is so so tiring I know, we've all been there.

You are very definitely doing the right thing binning the Bakers treats and the Beta Puppy, and I can recommend the pilchard cake - I make this with rice flour as wheat gives Jess a runny tummy, I usually use only about half to three quarters of a cupful as it is more absorbent that ordinary flour.  I cut it into teeny little squares when it is cool, and freeze what I don't immediately need.

Offline mooching

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »
jessandme,

Is that self-raising flour or plain?

Offline jessandme

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »
I use just ordinary plain flour, actually I don't think there is self-raising rice flour!  ;)  And I usually put in the whole contents of the tin, including all the sauce.   

Sometimes I make it with tuna, a large tin of it in spring water (not brine or oil), add some of the tuna water as well if needed. 

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 04:20:30 PM »
Poor you. Hope Nacho is feeling better soon. Just wanted to say, when you wean him back onto a food of your choice - one of the better brands hopefully - do it VERY gradually. Ideally over 10 days. I know it sounds extreme but it sounds like his system has had a bit of a rough time of it lately. I would keep him on the chicken and rice for a week then start mixing in a little kibble, gradually increasing over the following 10 days whilst reducing the amount of chicken and rice.

For treats I make tuna bread as follows:

Tin of tuna (in oil or water, not brine)
A little oil (if tuna not in oil)
1 egg
Garlic powder
Plain flour (or rice/potato flour in case of wheat sensitivity)

Drain tuna (if it is in water, otherwise just put tuna and oil in a bowl)
Add a tbs of oil (if necessary) if you want to, some prefer to mix with water
Add the egg
Add some garlic powder
Add flour - enough to make a stiff dough but not too dry or it is really crumbly

Mix it all up and spread it on a dinner plate about 1cm thick. Put another plate over it and cook in mocrowave for 3 mins.

Cut into small squares when it is cool, store in the fridge for 4-5 days (although ours is always gone in about 2-3 days with training and treat ball usage!) ;)
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 05:44:16 PM »
Really dont know what to do, lost is an understatement.

Been to the vets and they are so worried they have instantly admitted him and put him under general anaesthetic. They have already called and said x-rays don't show a blockage as such but the have seen a lot of what looks like sand in his belly. Thinking back to what he's been doing and all i can put it down too is the really old concrete that is between the paving slabs out the garden. He chews it thinking its a stone but then it disintergrates straight away. He is being kept in over night with a view to exploratory surgery tomorrow if he doesn't keep his food down tonight / tomorrow.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
OMG i'm so sorry to hear this  :'( all my thoughts and healing wishes being sent to little Nachos recovery, poor boy  :luv:

Offline mooching

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 05:59:40 PM »
My thoughts are with you and little Nacho.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »
Best wishes for both you and Nacho from me too, hope you have better news tomorrow :bigarmhug:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »
Poor little Nacho...and you , what a worry.

Hopefully the vet will be able to help sort his problems out.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline rwasinski

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »
Really, really hope the little baby is OK...

Our two loved chewing chunks off the concrete which was plastered over old walls in the garden of our old house. We really had to keep a close eye on them, as they would pull away huge pieces if left to their own devices.

Even now, we have to keep a close watch on what they are doing, as they just love putting things in their mouths, picking things up, stealing out of my handbag, pulling things off tables and particularly out in the garden. Especially Llewelyn who is a little tinker (he is one year, two months old).

Keep us posted, and thank goodness you acted so quickly and took him to the vet...

Rebecca, Blod-ness and Llew-bear!

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 07:46:42 PM »
Oh no, poor Nacho! Yes, thank goodness you took him in promptly. I hope he is on the mend really soon. Keep us posted.  :bigarmhug:
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Welsh_Wizard

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 07:58:20 PM »
Just spoke with the night workers at the hospital.. Nacho just scoffed his dinner down and is perked up a lot. He is having hourly checks which the girl I spoke with said all came back fine. I can call all through the night if I wish and just need to ring the practice in the morning with what the next stages are.

My partner and I have had our fair share of rubbish news the last few weeks so as you can imagine, this didn't help. In fact, Nacho was purchased (after a 7yr conversation) to alleviate some heartache. I can honestly say that I haven't worried like this ever. Horrendous feeling. Starting to believe things are going to be ok though so with those thoughts, a box of choc' and some bacardi, tonight should be fairly eventful.  :'(  :005:

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »
So glad to hear he seems to be bouncing back  :luv: will be thinking of you both  :luv:

Offline grracee

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2010, 08:03:06 PM »
Oh no, only just read this, poor Nacho! Hope he is feeling alot better soon and that he can come back home! Lots of :bigarmhug:'s to all of you from me and Charlie!  :luv: