Author Topic: How Much Space Do They Need  (Read 908 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
How Much Space Do They Need
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:43:41 AM »
When we had our last cocker, Honey, we had a puppy crate which she slept in at night, although the door to the crate was open so she could get about into the kitchen.

We have since moved house, to one which has a much bigger kitchen, but also has a utility room.  We're getting a new pup in Feb and I would prefer not to have the new puppy in the kitchen so that we avoid the toiletting over a much wider area ;) .  But then I am not sure if the utility is big enough - it's about 4'sq, and will have his bed in it.

I am aware that some owners keep their pups in crates overnight, so I am sure a 4' sq area should be big enough, but I wondered what you all thought :)

Phil
All the best
Phil

Offline PennyB

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 09:24:04 AM »
Do you intend to close the door of the utility room. With a crate I found you can move it where its needed in the house. When Ruby 1st came at 8 weeks she'd howl in the crate but when I moved it somewhere else she was fine to be left (as obviously where the crate was it was in the wrong place for her). Pups/dogs can see whats going on outside the crate where if they are in another room they can't and might fret. Also will you be able to hear the pup at night as well if they are in the room you suggest.

Also with crates if they are too big then the pup will use them as a toilet so pup will use utility room as a toilet as well if there's too much space.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pete and Jo

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 10:23:31 AM »
We have had Jarvis for 2 weeks now (he's 10 weeks old now).  We have a small utility room as well but wedge the door open which conveniently blocks access to our new units.  We have a child gate across the doorway so he can see through to the kitchen and everything seems fine.

Yes, we do have wee accidents to cope with in a morning :angry: but that's only to be expected at his age.

As he gets older and more able to hold his wee in, we might open the child gate and let him roam the kitchen and conservatory - though we have a couple of big bean bags that Jarvis has got his eye on!! :P

The child gate was from Toys r us and cost about £20 and is better than the dog gate from Argos at £29 because it is not as high and imposing (and it's cheaper).