Author Topic: Roan Colouring  (Read 1554 times)

Offline pwhite48

• Site Member
Roan Colouring
« on: January 09, 2005, 10:58:13 AM »
Hi all

Well, we went to see the litter of pups last night and have picked our new baby :D  :D

Of course when they are so young (just over 3 weeks) the only main markings you can see are the black patches - everything else is white or grey.  As the breeder explained, the roan colouring comes through as they get older.

However, there were some noticable differences in the amount of black on the pups, especially with their faces.  I was therefore wondering if this is an indication of how light or dark they may be eventually be?  Both mum and dad are both quite dark, however, the pup that we picked has lots of white on his face and only a couple of patches of black on his back - does this mean he may be quite light roan?

Not that it really matters, because of course they are all gorgeous :lol:

Roll on mid Feb!  We're calling him Paddy, by the way :P

Phil
All the best
Phil

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Roan Colouring
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 12:47:33 PM »
It's not the face markings or number of body patches that determine how light or dark a pup will be. A better indication is look at the tummy - a dark tummy usually indicates a dark roan. Also if you lift the white hair up on the back, if there is lots of grey underneath, this is another indicator of a darker roan. The colour of 3 week old blue roan puppies often bears very little relation to the eventual shade of the adult coat plus of course their personalities aren't really showing at this age - you'll have a better idea in a few weeks time ;)

Jane
Jane

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Roan Colouring
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 01:46:45 PM »
:D 
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Roan Colouring
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 02:45:17 PM »
We looked at the colour of the pups tummies and the skin underneath their fur when we visited Molo's litter as OH had a preference for a darker roan.

As you can see from these pictures - he has definitely got a lot darker as he has grown older, especially his face, and he is still changing  :rolleyes:

Molo at 4 weeks

Molo at 6 weeks

Molo at 5 months
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Roan Colouring
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 03:28:59 PM »
Nothing to do with the topic but Molo is gogeous  :wub:  

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Roan Colouring
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 03:34:15 PM »
Nothing to do with the topic but Molo is gogeous  :wub:
:) Agree !
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Roan Colouring
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 04:36:53 PM »
Nothing to do with the topic but Molo is gogeous  :wub:
:) Agree !
Thank you; we think so too! :D

On the subject of Roan colouring; its worth looking at ancestors too; there are several pups in the gallery that look similar to Molo at the same age, and they share an ancestor or two.

I agree, no matter what the colour, they are all gorgeous; but I am always amazed at how different Molo's colouring looks now from when he was tiny and I am glad that him breeder explained it to us, as otherwise it would have been a bit of a surprise  :lol:  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

sweetie

Roan Colouring
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 06:40:06 PM »
blimey rachel he has got a lot darker,how gorgeous

i read this topic with interest,i didn,t know how you could tell how much darker etc.they become,i do now,,cheersx

Sue H

Roan Colouring
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 07:57:28 PM »
Bramble is blue-roan and tan, and whilst he has tan eyebrows and markings around his muzzle, under his ears, and brown spots on his legs (and his little brown patch under his tail!) his tan markings seem to have been outgrown by his roaniness!!

When he is trimmed, the overlying black hairs recede again to reveal more white underneath ..  the black is obviously the dominant colouring and the rest of the white and tan hairs are just struggling to show through !!

His tummy is very equally patchy though - my youngest son calls it his 'moo-cow tummy' as he resembles a Friesan cow underneath !!!

They are just a world of wonder aren't they!!  I love the way that the tufts of hair betwen his toes grow alternately black, white and tan, and when he needs clipping we say he has Exploding Paws !!!

Offline mum of kimmi

• Site Member
  • some days are harder than others!!
Roan Colouring
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 10:10:01 PM »
Kimmi was predominantly white with a few black patches when she was born, she now is virtually dark charcoal grey all over (except for a small white patch right on top of her head),  she also has brown patches which show up more in bright light (on top of her head and around her ears mainly) does this mean that she is not a true blue roan?
Kimmi's mum

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Roan Colouring
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 11:06:38 PM »
First and foremost molo is gorgeous very like our Jarvis.

I didn't really have a clue when i went to pick Jarvis but i did like darker roans. We just picked Jarvis and he was the first one i cuddled and that was me hooked and now i wouldn't care if he had turned pink with green spots!! But what a fright we all got when we went to collect Jarvis from his first haircut he was a completly different looking dog. Very light. At first i wasn't sure but after a while i loved and now he's really dark again i can't wait to get him to the groomers tomorrow for another trim.

Lorraine and Jarvis