Author Topic: Sleeping arrangements  (Read 640 times)

Offline Rooster

Sleeping arrangements
« on: December 07, 2010, 06:26:14 AM »
Rupert has been sleeping overnight without any sound or problem in his crate in the utility room for the last 18 months. With Mo's arrival we thought it would be best to put his crate next to Rupert's so he felt he had some company. Rupert has free run of the room as we leave his crate door open but Mo's has a small puppy pen attached so he can get a drink of water etc without being bothered.

First night home was fine. All quiet. This morning at 5 am Rupert started barking and wouldn't stop. It was a shock because I don't think Rupert has ever barked for attention in his room. He went to the loo and has retreated to his daytime crate in the living room, leaving Mo to sleep in the utility alone. Both dogs have now settled and all is quiet.

Obviously my worry is that Rupert is going to become a problem sleeper/start throwing hissy fits because of his new room-mate. Is there any merit in keeping them separate to start off until Mo is older and has settled into a more adult sleep pattern or should we start as we mean to go on with them sharing a room?

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Re: Sleeping arrangements
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:27:29 AM »
We had difficulty when we got Darcy, Hattie had slept downstairs and also had a bed on the landing.  When we got Darcy we put a crate in the TV room, we thought they would keep each other company at night, but Hattie kept disturbing him.  So now we have Hattie in her crate in our bedroom and Darcy sleeps in his crate in the TV room.  Our goal is to get them in the same room but at the moment this is working and i don't want to rock the boat as we have been sleep deprived for to long :005:.  We had to try different sleeping arrangements until we actually found one that worked for us.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 10:19:19 AM »
My two are crated seperately at opposite sides of the room. Clover (my youngest) really doesnt like Dexter being near her when shes asleep. Shes been known to air snap at him when he comes too close her liking when shes trying to rest. Meawhile Dexter  barks if i leave him out of his crate.

So like Waggytails ive been leaving them seperate as its seems the best arrangement for all concerned. Abit of space from each other isnt a bad thing. Alot of people think its odd that I dont let them "keep each other company" but Ive found they're happiest with their own enclosed space.

Offline Rooster

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »

We've tried the 'sleeping apart' thing for a few nights and it seems to be working. Rupert is (as usual) quiet all through the night and Mo has been too or, alternatively, the walls are too thick for us to hear him. Thanks for the reassurance that having to keep them apart isn't so unusual.

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 03:09:16 PM »
Glad its working out for you,  i know in an ideal world you would like them to cosy up together, but give them time and you never know. ;)
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)