Author Topic: Advice, stories, tips etc. wanted!  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
Re: Advice, stories, tips etc. wanted!
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL :D

We got our pup Alfie last January and didnt find it that much of a problem standing out in the cold etc, i cant remember it bothering me too much anyway ;).

This is a fantastic site and using the 'search' function at the top right of the screen you should be able to find out about just about anything :D.

We found our breeder through the cockersonline breeders list, although i cant remember where i found it- i'll have a look now :blink:. You do have to be very careful in choosing the right breeder, making sure about health tests etc but i can guarantee its worth the hassle- cockers are fab :luv:

Good luck in your search,

Emma, Meg and Alfie xxx

Mod Edit: Link to Breeders List has been edited out as the list is very out of date and not in active use at the moment (pending an upgrade)
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »

I'd love to go and see some pups to get an idea of what breeders are best, what I'm looking for/at, etc. but I am wary of wasting breeders' time as I know we aren't ready to get one for a few months yet (perhaps longer having thought what Jeff & Annie pointed out about spring/winter)
What are everyone's thoughts on this?

You may find a breeder that has a couple of litters in a year (though be cautious of puppy farmers!) It may be that you could go and meet the breeder and a litter before you're ready for one from the next litter.
Look at health testing, a breeder that generally has the colour you are looking for (if that's important) and start making a relationship with them now.
Don't start looking at those online sites or freead sites that sell dogs, once you start looking it's difficult to maintin what you know is right rather than seeing an appealing pup just down the road, looking because it wouldn't hurt and coming home with one!!

Good luck with your search. x
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline mooching

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 12:08:12 AM »
I'd love to go and see some pups to get an idea of what breeders are best, what I'm looking for/at, etc. but I am wary of wasting breeders' time as I know we aren't ready to get one for a few months yet
Pups from reputable breeders are often "sold" (reserved) before they are even conceived. And reputable breeders will want to "vet" prospective puppy owners as well (which may well dictate whether they are even willing for you to reserve a pup from one of their future litters). So I actually think it would be a very good idea to approach a few breeders sooner rather than later to ask if you could go and visit them, and spend some time with them and their dogs. That way you can spend some time around cockers, and the breeder can get to know you too. Demand from the very best breeders can even exceed supply - some people have to wait months (even a year or more is not out of the question).

(perhaps longer having thought what Jeff & Annie pointed out about spring/winter)
For us, we have found that toilet training is a lot easier in spring/summer. And not just that, being able to be outside with the pup, and amuse/train them outside, is also easier during the better weather. Our pup (now 8 months) was high energy and chewy right from the word go, and if we had not been able to be outside with him for long stretches, I think we would have gone stir crazy.
[/quote]

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 08:53:14 AM »
For us, we have found that toilet training is a lot easier in spring/summer. And not just that, being able to be outside with the pup, and amuse/train them outside, is also easier during the better weather. Our pup (now 8 months) was high energy and chewy right from the word go, and if we had not been able to be outside with him for long stretches, I think we would have gone stir crazy.

Yes but you've got a Terrier/Working Cocker mix - no wonder he was high energy ;) I've trained puppies at all different times of the year & haven't really found Winter pups to be any more difficult than Summer pups - the one advantage is that with the darker mornings, they don't wake up so early as summer pups :D
Jane

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 09:14:08 AM »
Hello and Welcome.  You are right when you said you will not get much work done.

This was the first cocker I had had, I have had dogs all my life from rescue and from puppies, but nothing prepaired me for Selby, maybe it was my age, but he has been a handful, but just like a baby growing up really, he is now a huddy (teenager) but I think we are coming out the other side now he is 13 months old and we are now having cuddles.  For me I have never come across a breed like them, they certainly know what they want and how to get it, and i wouldnt be without him for anything, I must admit I didnt always think like this I said I would never get another but now would love one.

Let us all know what you decide and good luck.

Offline 04callahans

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 11:07:14 AM »
I'm name hunting at the minute, and have been chatting to a couple of breeders this morning, with a view to being put on the list for their litters due in spring. How exciting.

I have quite a long 'short' list of names at the minute. Which I can see OH and I coming to blows over, as he doesn't like any of the ones I like :( lol.

So far I've got...
Riley
Theo
Sydney
Louie
Harley
Ludo
Badger
Henley
Rhummy
Disney
Digby
Dibley
Shilo
Otis
Rufus
Digger
Bruno
Dash
Sully
Gunner
Dougie/Dougal
Chaos

I imagine I'll narrow it down to a few and then completely change my mind when I meet pup, and then probably again when I get him home.  :005:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 11:18:07 AM »
Loving the list of names :luv: Alfie's name was Badger back at the breeders, i think it's such a cute name :luv:. I love the name Otis too :D xx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline mooching

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »
It's a good idea to have your name down with more than one breeder, particularly if you want a specific gender and/or colour, just in case demand exceeds supply generally and they don't end up having the colour and gender you want. :D

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 12:13:08 PM »
I think a good name is Taz, that is what my friends call Selby, after the Tazmainian Devil >:D

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »
Pups from reputable breeders are often "sold" (reserved) before they are even conceived.

This is something that i cant quite digest - its alot of money to spend on something you havent even seen!

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 04:00:43 PM »
Pups from reputable breeders are often "sold" (reserved) before they are even conceived.

This is something that i cant quite digest - its alot of money to spend on something you havent even seen!

I believe Manda means they are taken by a waiting list already, no money has changed hands until the puppy is picked and its the right one.     A reputable breeder would not take any money in advance, possibly a deposit when you have picked and viewed your puppy but even then that doesn't always apply.    

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »
Hi and welcome I am from Hockley in Essex..... where in Essex are you
I have a solid black show type.... boy called Bob he is 5 Years old and my first Cocker
we do training classes and Agility which he loves... he loves to go on lots of walks and runs in the woods

you are so right a house is not a home with out a dog
Good luck i hope you find the right pup

Offline mooching

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
I believe Manda means they are taken by a waiting list already, no money has changed hands until the puppy is picked and its the right one.     A reputable breeder would not take any money in advance, possibly a deposit when you have picked and viewed your puppy but even then that doesn't always apply.    

Thanks, Jeanette, that's exactly what I meant! (having put "sold" in inverted commas) Waiting list, then a deposit once pups have been born and it's confirmed that one is available to meet your requirements.