Author Topic: Hyper Puppy  (Read 8295 times)

Offline Pete and Jo

• Site Member
    • http://
Hyper Puppy
« on: January 11, 2005, 10:11:01 AM »
Yesterday, Jarvis was totally hyper - running, biting, yelping, barking, crying etc.  Even though we have only had him just over a week, it seemed more than usual.

Two things changed yesterday - I gave him little bits of carrot as a treat for toilet training (which he loved), and he had some worming liquid in his 5 o'clock feed.

He is still a bit mad now, yelping away and ripping up his newspaper downstairs as I type.

We will try him without carrot today to see if that calms him down, but has anyone any thoughts??  Maybe he is just getting more lively and needing less sleep and more attention, but we want to make sure he knows who is boss ;) .

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 10:18:52 AM »
I'm not sure about the carrot and the worming liquid making him hyper but puppies can and do have little burst of energy where it seems they have gone quite mad!

Puppies still need a lot of sleep and rest but he may need a little more time spent playing or maybe some sits and stays, they have a short attention span so it's probably best to 5mins at a time, but it may help.

Don't worry all cocker pups have these mad half hours, mine included, it's normal!

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 10:39:41 AM »
Sounds like hes finding his feet :)

I cant see the carrot making him hyper and it sounds to me hes just wanting more attention/interaction. They develop so quickly at this age, one week its like having a new born, the next a terrible two year old :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 11:17:46 AM »
Yesterday, Jarvis was totally hyper

Sounds like me....maybe I should stop eating carrots too  :lol:  :rolleyes:  :ph34r:  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 01:10:06 PM »
I'm sure it wasn't the carrot but you can get this temporary reaction after worming - I'm sure other members have posted on COL about it in the past & I've noticed it sometimes with our own puppies.

Jane
Jane

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 03:25:05 PM »
I'm sure it wasn't the carrot but you can get this temporary reaction after worming - I'm sure other members have posted on COL about it in the past & I've noticed it sometimes with our own puppies.

Jane
Yes, Lottie had a bad reaction to Panacur when she was a puppy.  I wouldn't say she went 'hyper' but she just could not settle and acted very peculiar for quite a few hours.  I would say she seemed more distressed than hyper.  I've not used Panacur since, always used Drontal ;)  
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Pete and Jo

• Site Member
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 04:27:55 PM »
Jarvis is on Panacur, so I guess we will have to put up with the behaviour for two more nights, and then change to a different brand next month.

He has been a lot calmer today though which I think is more to do with me ignoring him more.

We'll see how we get on tonight!!

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 09:28:14 PM »
When I worm puppies, I always make sure I do it just before they & I go to bed.
I find that should they feel a little Icky they sleep it off & are usually well enough recovered by the next morning, so don't go off their food  :)
Haven't noticed any Hyper behaviour before tho.

Edited to say - was the dosage correct for his weight ?
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 12:01:55 AM »
Yesterday, Jarvis was totally hyper - running, biting, yelping, barking, crying etc.

When Jimmy was a pup he displayed these symptoms too after I gave him Panacur wormer. It was really quite scary as for about 12 hours he seemed to be having some kind of mental fit, I even ended up phoning an emergency vet about it at about 2 in the morning. :(  

I'd be inclined not to complete the current course and contact the vet for a different wormer. Jimmy is on Drontal now with no nasty side effects.

Offline Pete and Jo

• Site Member
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 08:33:12 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  As he has just one day to go, I think I will finish this course.  He wasn't too bad last night and he hasn't been sick or off his food in any way.

I think I will change to a different brand next time though!!

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 09:51:28 AM »
Quote from: Pete & Jo,Jan 11 2005, 11:11 AM

I'd be inclined not to complete the current course and contact the vet for a different wormer. Jimmy is on Drontal now with no nasty side effects.
I never completed the course either as Lottie was so distressed she didn't seem to know what to do with herself :unsure:   I remember posting on here at the time and Colin wasn't the only one to have seen these effects after Panacur.

I must also add that there are plenty of dogs who don't have this reaction to Panacur ;)  
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 04:17:12 PM »
Buttons didnt' have a bad reaction to panacur but so many people seemed to on the forum I never used it again  ;)  I use Drontal as well  :)  

Sue H

Hyper Puppy
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 06:57:39 PM »
I haven't seen any bad reactions to Panacur (and I guess you are talking about the liquid that you give 1ml per Kg of bodyweight every fortnight until they are 12 weeks old).  Once they are actually around 8 weeks, Drontal seems fine, with one tablet (or part thereof) per 10Kg of bodyweight, and it is an all-round wormer, whereas the Panacur only treats against some infestations.

I have recently heard that Milbemax, another wormer which is supposed to be able to be given right from word go, does not in fact eradicate hookworm, but I don't know whether any further information on their clinical tests is available.

With young puppies, there are a lot of factors that may influence their energy-levels and activity - mostly it is what you put into them, but referring to previous posts, it can also be down to what you take out of them, and whether they are allowed their sleeping time at the right times.  With yooman babies, if they are kept awake for too long, they can then become hyper .... maybe it is just a question of striking the right balance !!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 11:29:32 PM »
I haven't seen any bad reactions to Panacur (and I guess you are talking about the liquid that you give 1ml per Kg of bodyweight every fortnight until they are 12 weeks old).  Once they are actually around 8 weeks, Drontal seems fine, with one tablet (or part thereof) per 10Kg of bodyweight, and it is an all-round wormer, whereas the Panacur only treats against some infestations.

Drontal is available in liquid form for puppies from 2 weeks old. Since switching to Drontal, I've seen no problems with our puppies whereas when we used Panacur, some litters did not react well to it, something that has been well documented by owners of other breeds too on other forums. Our vet agrees some puppies can experience side effects with Panacur so it's obviously something he hears about from time to time. As with anything, it's a case of finding what suits your particular dog ;)

Jane  
Jane

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Hyper Puppy
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 12:17:51 AM »
Panacur is actually given 0.5ml per 1kg of bodyweight, I've recently wormed my pups with no side effects, but I must admit I do use Drontal Plus on my adult dogs