Author Topic: The Good, The Bad and The Extremely Noisy!  (Read 1908 times)

Offline 04callahans

The Good, The Bad and The Extremely Noisy!
« on: January 17, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »
Well, 9 week old Barney came home with us on Saturday afternoon. I absolutely adore him! He's so beautiful, much bolder than I thought he'd be, full of mischief and very affectionate!

Toilet training is going well and he seems to be a pretty happy chappy throughout the daytime.

However, his separation anxiety is chronic! :( Sorry, this is going to be long...
We feed him in a back porch behind a stairgate, which was originally where he was supposed to sleep and it was going to be 'his room'. He's fine to eat in there and goes in and out happily throughout the day, for water, food, his toys, etc. but as soon as the door is shut and he can't get to us, he goes ballistic! He barks and howls, bites at the gate, sits in his water, messes and spreads it everywhere...
And he is a very determined little pup!

He is the same at night too! Now, I've had dogs throughout my childhood and I know that you have to leave them, which I'd be more than happy to do... but the problem is our neighbours. On one side we have a very elderly lady and on the other we have a young, working couple, who get up early for work... so him crying a bit isn't a problem, but him howling and yelping for hours on end, into the small hours, just isn't acceptable.
He's a lot worse than any of the puppies we ever had at my Mum and Dad's as a kid.

In the end, last night, we decided it wasn't fair on our very accomodating neighbours and the latest plan is have him in his bed, in our room. I don't mind this, as long as he stays in his own bed, which he seems happy to do as long as he can see us, however, I'm so worried that he is going to be one of these dogs that you can never leave home alone. My other half and I both work, I have a horse, etc. and whilst 9 times out of 10 he will be able to come with us everywhere we go, he needs to be able to be left, even if it just means being shut behind his gate whilst I mop the floor, or take the bins out, or a work man comes round, etc.

I'm currently in my office and he is in a puppy crate, in the studio, (the room next to me) with his bed, my Tshirt and the toys he seems to have taken most of a shine to. The studio is on an old farm, so there is no danger of him annoying our only neighbours, the cows across the car park! Actually, miraculously, he has just quietened down, after half an hour of howling... I'm hoping that he will learn to be on his own if we do this for a few hours a couple of times a day... but then still let him sleep in our room. Perhaps we will get to a point when he can manage a night downstairs, but it's not a huge problem if not. Although my OH is concerned that pup will impact on life in the bedroom  :005:

Other than that, do you think there is anything else I can be doing? Other than just letting him howl away and upset the neighbours.
And do you think he might get braver and more secure and be able to be left alone?

This is our only stumbling block so far and I'm still so so pleased we've got him, and just adore him! So if we can overcome this I will be so pleased. :)

P.S. He's still quiet in there! :) :) Fingers crossed this will work.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: The Good, The Bad and The Extremely Noisy!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:55:15 AM »
Awww poor Barney, he's still getting used to his new surroundings, so everything is so new to him it's going to take a wee while for him to get adjusted. I'm pretty sure that there is thread on about this on the other puppy section, have you had a look at that? good luck with your new puppy enjoy. x x x   :luv: :luv:

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline 04callahans

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
Oops, sorry I put this in the wrong section. Pictures to follow in a sec.

Thank you Poppsie. I hope that you are right. :) I'm hoping he will just get braver and learn to feel secure on his own as he learns we aren't going to abandon him. However, my OH is not convinced that he will ever get any better.

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:01:55 AM »
Oh don't worry too much he is only 9 weeks old  :lol2:  there is a thread on the other puppy section I've just checked, seems murphys mum and dad are having the same problem.x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 04:11:18 PM »
welcome to the wonderful world of cocker puppies......they just need to be with you constantly :luv: :luv: :luv:

i hate to tell you this but it took me a month of broken nights sleep to get ebony to sleep in her crate at night....she was a very determined puppy, but not as determined as me.... :005: :005:..luckily we are detached so at least its just us who were disturbed....

However, a friend of mine who had the same problem with neighbours started off putting the crate in their bedroom, then moving it onto the hall then downstairs, the process took a few weeks until puppy was settled.......in the kitchen ;)

good luck
lucy and ebony x

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
I really hate to tell you this but Eric took 6 months to settle through the night  ph34r  ph34r I used to set the alarm to go down twice in the night to let him out but it wasn't because he needed the toilet he was just a very needy puppy and still is really (age 3). I got Lucy as a rescue, she started in her crate in my room and then I gradually moved her down the stairs, it took about 2 weeks to get her to the kitchen.
Good luck

Offline 04callahans

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
I think we've decided to just let him sleep in his bed in our room for now. He seems happy with this.
He's been fantastic today, his first day in the office. He's been great with going out to the toilet, he's slept quietly in his cage and just been a little pleasure. He even had some time out in the studio after his lunch and was quiet as a mouse after one initial bout of yapping.

So I do think he will come around, he just seems to need to have me in sight at all times at the moment, which is understandable, poor little sausage.
I think once he is happy to be on his own in the day, we can try and get him and his bed downstairs, behind the gate, in the night.

Offline mooching

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 04:34:22 PM »
However, his separation anxiety is chronic! :( Sorry, this is going to be long...
We feed him in a back porch behind a stairgate, which was originally where he was supposed to sleep and it was going to be 'his room'. He's fine to eat in there and goes in and out happily throughout the day, for water, food, his toys, etc. but as soon as the door is shut and he can't get to us, he goes ballistic! He barks and howls, bites at the gate, sits in his water, messes and spreads it everywhere...
And he is a very determined little pup!
I saw you mention a puppy crate in another post. Does he not sleep in the crate at night? You might find he settles better in the back porch at night if you crate train him there.

Offline 04callahans

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
Unfortunately there isn't room for the crate in our house, we have it in the office for the day times. The porch is about as big as a crate.

Offline mooching

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »
The porch is about as big as a crate.

The porch is as big as a crate, but a crate won't fit in the porch? <scratches head> (sorry, I'm confused!!)

Offline 04callahans

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »
The porch is about the size of a crate, but it leads to the back door, so if we put a crate in it, you wouldn't be able to get to the back door. Basically, a crate won't fit... lol.
There isn't anywhere else you could put it without it obstructing doors or anything which is why we decided to gate the porch and make this his area.

Offline mooching

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 04:57:34 PM »
OK, I get it now.  ;)

How about trying closing the door on him in the day (while you are still there) for very short periods of time to start with and building up to longer times?

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 05:51:58 PM »
I think we've decided to just let him sleep in his bed in our room for now. He seems happy with this.
He's been fantastic today, his first day in the office. He's been great with going out to the toilet, he's slept quietly in his cage and just been a little pleasure. He even had some time out in the studio after his lunch and was quiet as a mouse after one initial bout of yapping.

So I do think he will come around, he just seems to need to have me in sight at all times at the moment, which is understandable, poor little sausage.
I think once he is happy to be on his own in the day, we can try and get him and his bed downstairs, behind the gate, in the night.

Its early days if he's only been you with since Saturday, Quinn slept in our room in his crate for the first two weeks and slept all night and now sleeps in the kitchen.     

We tried him in the kitchen the first night but he cried and cried and so I took him upstairs and he fell asleep straight away right through til the morning.      His crate was moved downstairs during the day into the kitchen and so after two weeks we left it down there - I was expecting the cries again but as he'd got used to being left alone during the day during those two weeks in the kitchen he was fine.   

If he settles in your room then I can't see the harm in it, he is still getting used to you after leaving his mum and siblings  :luv: :luv:

Offline grracee

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
If he settles in your room then I can't see the harm in it, he is still getting used to you after leaving his mum and siblings  :luv: :luv:

I agree, he is probably still adjusting to his new environment so might be why he is a little unsettled and probably misses his litter mates.
When I first got Charlie home I had him in my bedroom in his own bed and he settled perfectly. I can't see that it would be a problem to let Barney do this.  :blink:

Charlie wasn't keen on being left much as someone was there pretty much all of the time with him but I knew that at some point he would have to be left so slowly got him used to this by just popping down the street for half an hour and then increasing it as he got better. He is now very good and is happy to be left for a couple of hours. It does get better in time, good luck. Barney sounds lovely :luv:

Offline 04callahans

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »
Thanks all for the replies. We had a wonderful night last night!! I am thrilled!

He slept the whole night in his bed next to ours, he woke twice to go to the toilet, letting us know with a few little whimpers, and then settled straight back into his bed and slept like a baby!  :luv: :luv:

He was so excited when we turned the light on this morning, which was lovely to wake up to. And he even seems to be getting the hang of the whole toilet outside thing!!  :D

So yes, I'm a very happy Mummy!