Author Topic: The Good, The Bad and The Extremely Noisy!  (Read 1907 times)

Offline grracee

Re: The Good, The Bad and The Extremely Noisy!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 10:50:26 AM »
Thanks all for the replies. We had a wonderful night last night!! I am thrilled!

He slept the whole night in his bed next to ours, he woke twice to go to the toilet, letting us know with a few little whimpers, and then settled straight back into his bed and slept like a baby!  :luv: :luv:

He was so excited when we turned the light on this morning, which was lovely to wake up to. And he even seems to be getting the hang of the whole toilet outside thing!!  :D

So yes, I'm a very happy Mummy!

Aww, well done Barney! So pleased he is starting to sleep well for you  :luv:

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
Well done Barney  :cool4: :clapping:...this behaviour is always well rewarded by the hoomans  :005:

Offline MHG

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 06:23:56 PM »
Sounds like you are makin great grprogress!! If you look at one of my earlier threads you will see a remarkably similar story and it drove us to despair- we didn't leave the house together for the first 2 months since we had Millie!! She did sleep in our room at night and thankfully from day one she was and still is clean at night as we did what other folk have suggested and got up to her as being in the room you could here when she stirred. I am pleased to say she is now downstairs at night and still no problems- we had to literally move her a few inches every night over weeks to get her to the landing then downstairs but it does work!!. Obviously if you are happy to have them upstairs thats fine too!!
However she was doing excatly as you describe in the day- and even learnt to flick it out of the pen so it wasn't in there with her!! However a dog trainer and a few folks on here said you have to leave them  on their own (gradually building up time though) as going to a different room didn't help Millie in fact it seemed to make matters worse and if we hadn't done it we'd never get her used to it.
We did 5 days continuously for 2-3 hours every day and each day it got better, she started to do her business then fold her vet bed over it so you didn't know when you first got in- but this was better than flicked everywhere, and then suddenly she stopped and touch wood  ;) hasn't done anything other than the odd wee if left a bit longer than expected (not more than 5 hours at worst). So all I can say is the support whilst you are on COL's getting to this point is great and rest assured it will get better!!! You don't believe it at the time and I even thought we wouldnt be able to keep her long term if we couldnt go to work and leave the house but finally we are in a better place and we even got a 9 hour sleep and lie in friday night just gone- woke up and asked each other who had got up to the dog and neither of us had- we were greeted by a very friendly, excited, clean and dry puppy on saturday morning!! :banana:

Best of luck and hang in there- it will stop eventually !! :D
Millie and Michele

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »
Ahh, well done Barney :luv: :luv: these threads always remind me of the disney film Lady and the Tramp where Lady takes herself upstairs and then ends up sleeping in mum and dads room for the rest of her life :005: :luv:

We had it easy with Alfie, he slept through the whole night from day 1 in his crate in the kitchen, with just a few whimpers on the first night which lasted about 2 minutes! I remember Meg being a bit of a howler though ;) xx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 10:58:32 PM »
Ahh, well done Barney :luv: :luv: these threads always remind me of the disney film Lady and the Tramp where Lady takes herself upstairs and then ends up sleeping in mum and dads room for the rest of her life :005: :luv:

We had it easy with Alfie, he slept through the whole night from day 1 in his crate in the kitchen, with just a few whimpers on the first night which lasted about 2 minutes! I remember Meg being a bit of a howler though ;) xx

We had the opposite, Indie slept downstairs from the first night with no crying and Quinn was the howler - just shows that they are all different - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all - which is what we've found out from having the second cocker.    :005:

Offline 04callahans

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
Well Barney's going from strength to strength I am pleased to report! :D He's just such a lovely little person!
He has been so well behaved in the office and is great at going out to the toilet after only three days! We had a little accident earlier today but even that was on the back doormat, so it was my fault for not being efficient enough!

I'm enjoying him so so much and just can't stop kissing that gorgeous soft black head! I'm so excited to watch him grow!  :luv:

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 04:50:48 PM »
Kongs are really good to use when you start training them to be left alone. While you are in the house put a kong with something yummy in it in his little room and then start building the time up that you leave him for.

Millie

Offline mooching

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »
Kongs are really good to use when you start training them to be left alone.

I agree! From about 4 months onwards, whenever Alfie saw me preparing his Kong he'd run to his crate in anticipation! Still does this now at 9 months! It makes it so much easier to leave him, knowing that he's chilled about it.