Author Topic: How Many Walks?  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
How Many Walks?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 12:53:31 PM »
Funny, Kyro is learing to 'Cock a deaf'un'  so we are now taking more cheese to the park aswel.  :lol:
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
How Many Walks?
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 07:22:44 PM »
I was really nervous of letting Goldie off leash when we got her....I didnt have much experience then. Luckily I met a lady who encouraged me to try it and it worked...Goldie stuck close by.

This time around I felt much more at ease about letting Lottie off leash and did it the first walk out, once we were on safe area away from the road.

I always have treats in my pocket and give them one when they come back and sit to have their leads back on, that way they learn it's not a bad experience to give up their freedom.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
How Many Walks?
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 08:36:23 PM »
Mine have been let off lead from very early on. I was very nervous letting Vegas off for the first time but I needn't have worried as he didn't venture very far at all. I do make sure I'm in an enclosed area should the worst happen but so far so good. Disney's recall is absolutely astounding - and hes not even 5 months old yet! Regardless of the distractions, if you call his name, he comes thundering towards you - it would appear that nothing in the world is worth giving up the possibilty of a treat for ;)  
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline lindsey

• Site Member
    • Soroden Cockers
How Many Walks?
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 10:17:35 PM »
Mine have all been allowed off from as soon as they go out and we have never had a problem with any of them coming back.  I think this has been though because the pup has got quite attached to the older dogs and so just follows them about.  I have never timed their walks, when they are pups i normally take them to the beach when the tide is out and let them run about as much as they like, but don't actually make them walk.  I think everybody has their own ideas and ways of doing things and often a number of different ideas work. :)  
Lindsey, Sophie, Rosie, Molly, Gypsy, Aimee, Harry and Ellie

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
How Many Walks?
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2005, 09:00:16 AM »
Although saying that i think Alfie has just hit his teens and is learning to cock a deafen so its back to basics for us atm
Yup, Molo too   :rolleyes: !

I made the mistake of using an 'extendi-lead' rather than let Molo off the lead when he was very little, but after 6/8 weeks or so I banished it to the back of the drawer and have been letting him off reguarly.

He has (until now) been fairly reliable, but not so any more  ;) ......I have just bought a training line (thanks to PennyB for the recommendations and advice) which came with a really good booklet by Kym Lawrence and Angela Stockdale which gives really clear step by step instructions on how to introduce and train using a training line - so I am going to start their suggested programme immediately!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline lorri

• Site Member
How Many Walks?
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2005, 11:14:31 PM »
I must be doing something wrong because Jarvis slings us a deaf ear each and every time he's out although we do keep trying with lots of praise and treats when he's back on his lead and never let him off anywhere he could get hurt. When out in the garden the only thing he returns to is a chap on the window. Pity it isnt very practical to carry a big pane of glass around with me!!!

However we will carry on and hopefully he'll grow out of it he's still young (1st birthday in 2 weeks)

Lorraine and Jarvis