Author Topic: Water Through The Night?  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Pete and Jo

• Site Member
    • http://
Water Through The Night?
« on: January 04, 2005, 09:45:06 PM »
Just wondering if other owners leave a supply of water for puppies over night?

Jarvis spends the night in a cosy utility room, newspaper on the floor, with a bed and blanket, and a few of his favorite toys (his most favorite today being the cardboard tube from a loo roll!!).

We've only had him a few days and he cries and whines and yelps every 2 hours over night for 10-15 minutes which we ignore, but we come down to a few puddles, so we were wondering if removing water overnight may help??

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 09:59:41 PM »
My dogs have access to lots of fresh water all the time. The risk of dehydration (especially in older dogs or puppies) is too great to make them go without IMHO  :)  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Pete and Jo

• Site Member
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:07:30 PM »
I think I agree, I'd rather clear up a mess every mornig than risk dehydration.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 11:20:56 PM »
If he is going outside to toilet during the day then he could well be warning you he needs out. Their bladders are so small that age that four hours is about max
Caroline and Alfie

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 07:57:05 AM »
Ours do not have access to water for the 7 hours a night they are in the bedroom with us. They will ask to go downstairs for a drink if they are thirsty, but they can normally hold out untill morning. Both the adults and the pups seem fine with this.
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 09:06:47 AM »
Kyro always has access to fresh water, in his crate, in the kitchen an a bottle when we go out in the car. My thoughts are 'I can get a dresh drink whenever I want, so why can't he'. Kyro was only brought home 4 months ago so I can well remember those noisy nights, he soon had dry nights. I don't think having water available will hamper his eventual drieness...
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 09:15:51 AM »
Love your new avatar Caroline  :lol:  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 03:48:02 PM »
Mine do not have access to water at night - free access at all other times.

A young puppy would be fine without water for a few hours - it depends how long he's downstairs on his own really. I would suggest anything more than 6 hours for a young puppy is too long to be without water. There must be free access at all other times and if he is at all unwell or has runny poo.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 07:30:09 PM »
My dogs have access to lots of fresh water all the time.
So does Bailey. Even though he doesn't always drink it, there's no harm in leaving it there.  
From Georgie and Bailey xxx

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2005, 07:13:17 PM »
I leave the bowl down all the time....it didnt hinder Lottie getting dry at night. She always lets us know when she needs to go out.

Sue H

Water Through The Night?
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 09:42:29 PM »
I think that puppies are so little, and their systems are so finely balanced, that they absolutely must have access to water at all times .....

They need to keep their bodies hydrated, and if you remove their water suppy, their urine can become re-processed and very yellow and smelly, simply because they are having to conserve fluid in their bodies.  This can lead to infections and other problems.

Trying to avoid having to mop up a few puddles as a consequence of keeping them thirsty all night is simply not a humane option - they are still babies and as such, should be treated  with love and care, and not with any thought of 'what am I going to find in the morning'  - what next - miss out the evening feed so that there is no poo either ??

They are only tiny once (unless you are a Breeder in which case you presumably know all about electrolytes and protein balances!!).

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 09:52:25 PM »
I think that puppies are so little, and their systems are so finely balanced, that they absolutely must have access to water at all times .....

They need to keep their bodies hydrated, and if you remove their water suppy, their urine can become re-processed and very yellow and smelly, simply because they are having to conserve fluid in their bodies.  This can lead to infections and other problems.
Is this a commonly held veterinary view and is there scientific evidence to back it up?

I was advised by the practice nurse that if he was healthy and fit, even as a pup, lifting his water during nighttime hours would not do him any harm and would give him better quality rest, so I always have  :unsure: and if there is evidence to suggest otherwise then my confidence in these veterinary staff is shattered as it is such a critical issue  :( :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline lorri

• Site Member
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 11:25:23 PM »
I asked our vet the same thing and was told to leave him his water out .Told us if he was a happy healthy puppy he wouldn't really drink it anyway during the night. I think it's really up to yourself it didn't do Jarvi nyharm and he was dry through the night pretty quickly.

Lorraine and Jarvis

Offline Pete and Jo

• Site Member
Water Through The Night?
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 10:14:25 AM »
Lorraine and Jarvis

Great name!!
 :D

Peter, Joanne & Jarvis!