Author Topic: Barking for Attention and Aggressive Behaviour  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Sarah1985

Re: Barking for Attention and Aggressive Behaviour
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
It sounds tome like normal puppy behaviour so try not to worry.

With regards to training Id keep it short and sweet and start and end on something easy so that he warms up and warms down. I used to train my pups while the kettle boiled so I had a kind of timer running didnt over do it with them.  :005:

If you want him to sleep while you work Id try and get into a routine of tiring him out and then working when hes already really sleepy. That way it becomes habit to him that you sit to work and he settles himself down for a sleep. Try and stick to a routine as he'll understand whats going on much better if the same thing happens at the same time every day (as far as you can). once hes worked it all out and is coping then start mixing up your day.

Good luck

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 10:02:29 AM »
Totally agree with others, please don't worry and don't listen to the 'be careful of cockers' thing... cockers are generally more exuberant than say Labs, they are busy little dogs with huge personalities to match and that's not for everyone, but if you live with one you are likely to love it I promise ;)

With my last cocker pup we all had blood running down our legs until he was about 8 months old and saying 'No' to him provoked the most aggressive attack you can imaging... so we stopped saying 'No' and just quietly popped him in his time out place (the kitchen with a baby gate across it) to calm down when he was being a git. :lol2: You'll be pleased to know that that particular git is now a very sweet, wonderful trusting little dog (he's nearly 4 now but has been socially acceptable since he was about 11 months old :lol:) He's also bringing up my two young children (including a toddler) and is totally trustworthy around them and us and loves everyone and everything and is very gentle but still lots of fun :luv:. -  Far cry from the puppy that used to growl and snap guarding food and all toys he could get his paws on :shades: :005:

It might be that your little lad isn't getting enough sleep - puppies do need a lot of quiet time and if they don't get it they become overstimulated and hyper. Try and keep training sessions short and give him a regular routine of sleeps and time on his own in a crate if poss :luv: If he starts to know that at certain times of day he's going to be resting then he's likely to drop into a better routine and start relaxing a little more :luv:

Good luck and keep talking, it will help get you through the next few weeks and months!

x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »

Training sessions are kept very short and sweet. If he does what I ask a few times, we leave it there... perhaps they are not long enough? His little tail wags away and he is completely attentive throughout.
We play with him on and off all day long. But we try not to pander to him every single time he wants our attention.
He just picked him up and put him in. Lol, we have had many clashes over the way Barney is dealt with. Bless OH, he does try, but he needs more training than Barney I think, lol. He is never confrontational, but just can't 'think dog' and cant get the concept of focusing on what you do want from him, rather than what you don't want. He is keen to learn though so is following the training and advice closely. There are some great ideas there... I will show him these replies. Thank you.
And lastly, no, I stopped the rough play straight away! lol! He now plays fetch with him instead, lol! Must less risky!  :005:

Training - as others have said, training in short regularly bursts is the best bet... I find that, even at 3 yrs old, Honey is excited at the end of a training session... I tend to finish with a sit/wait and distract her with a scattering of food around her - when I release her she has a lot of treat hoovering to do, so this helps her wind down.  Obviously a young pup can't be expected to wait while treats are thrown around in front of him, but a scatter feed, or some treats hidden somewhere, will give him something else to focus on to wind down after his training...

As Mooching says, it is very important we reward puppies for calm behaviour - we all to often only give reinforcement for activity... either in training, playing or telling them to calm down... reward when he is lying down calmly, and he will soon learn he doesn't need to be doing things to gain your approval!!!  I'm helping at a puppy class at the minute, and the calmest pups in the room are the ones where the owner rewards the calm behaviour... and the noisiest ones are the ones where the owner pays them no attention while they are sitting quietly, but desperately tries to quieten them down (distracting with toys/treats etc) when they bark or whine!!!  :005:

"He just picked him up and put him in"  -  but he's not confrontational?  So you'd be happy if you were out at a club and the bouncers came over, picked you up and put you into a different part of the club?  There was obviously no confrontational intent, but being picked up and put somewhere else is confrontational... you are much better luring him into his bed - and gradually training him to go there on command (or even better because he wants to be in his bed!).  Put yummy treats in there... make it a rewarding place to be.

The best thing you can provide is clear, consistent boundaries/rules, enforced in a kind manner.  Work with your pup, and get him to do things because he wants to do it... and you'll have a fantastic adult dog in time, who can make all those who warned you to be careful of cockers eat their words!!!  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline black taz

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
I always end our training sessions by holding up my hands and saying "all gone" (as in the treats are all gone!) and they don't expect anymore then.

Taz was much naughtier as a puppy than Kira is (Lab) and is certainly more stubborn - not sure whether this was breed, gender or just his personality.

I would agree with others though - it sounds like normal puppy behaviour, but would try and take any confrontation when he is naughty.  ie: I have taught Kira that "mummies" means that she has to give whatever she has to me (Taz is a work in progress - he wont actually drop it but he will let me take it from him) - actually if Taz has something Kira knows she shouldnt have, for example a slipper, she will take it from him and bring it to me :005:

I think once you start training classes and see the behaviour of some of the other pups you will be much more reassured.

good luck