Author Topic: Gardens  (Read 10360 times)

Offline markjcage

• Site Member
Gardens
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2002, 06:50:45 PM »
Having re-read my post, it may sound a bit strong. It isn't as nasty as it sounds! She seems to spend half her life with her legs in the air. It's more a case of holding her still so she can think about what she's done/doing. Our dog was several months old when I tried this.
I'd NEVER advise handling a puppy roughly and obviously you wouldn't do it to a nervous pup.
It is however, how dogs themselves exert their authority upon each other and they don't get scared or hurt, but understand that (sometimes) they need to do as they are told!                    

Offline Jen

• Site Member
Gardens
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2002, 08:35:09 PM »
I am now a bit more organised and I have my shoes by the back door as well as my ski jacket, hat and scarf as I was so fed up with being freezing cold.  The only thing is I look like Michelin man with all of this gear on over my my chunky dressing gown.  The neighbours give me funny looks....  :o

Loraine - that sounds just like me too....except I wear my big green wellies.  Lord knows what I must look like.  I often wonder what I'd do if I accidentally got locked out.  I think I'd rather freeze to death than knock a neighbour up to rescue me dressed like this!                    
Jen & Monty xx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Gardens
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2002, 11:05:53 PM »
Having re-read my post, it may sound a bit strong. It isn't as nasty as it sounds! She seems to spend half her life with her legs in the air. It's more a case of holding her still so she can think about what she's done/doing. Our dog was several months old when I tried this.
I'd NEVER advise handling a puppy roughly and obviously you wouldn't do it to a nervous pup.

Sure, I knew what you meant Mark but I was worried other people might get the wrong idea & start hurling their puppies onto their backs :) I still think it should be a last resort technique for a very assertive puppy. I have seen this technique done badly & believe me it wasn't a pretty sight - the dog was so terrified it wet itself.  I'm glad this technique works for you but you are a confident, experienced dog owner - I still think this is not something a first-time puppy owner should try without seeing someone demonstrate it for them. It's so easy to get things wrong when you are just interpretating something someone has written on an internet forum :)                    
Jane