Author Topic: sleeping arrangements - new puppy with existing dog  (Read 10660 times)

Offline Jeannie

sleeping arrangements - new puppy with existing dog
« on: April 24, 2011, 11:56:25 PM »
Getting a new cocker puppy shortly as a companion for my 2 year old girl - who sleeps in my bedroom, mostly on the bed  :005: I have a crate for the new one, is it best to leave him downstairs initially to get him used to being on his own -  I slept on the sofa for a couple of nights when I had my little girl, and she slept downstairs to start with.  Ideally would like them both to sleep downstairs together or  in my bedroom together, but not having 2 of them on the bed!   I don't know how best to proceed - what do others do?  any advice??  :blink:

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Re: sleeping arrangements - new puppy with existing dog
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:55:07 AM »
My girl Hattie was 2yrs old when we got Darcy, she used to sleep, in the dinning room but also had a bed at the top of the stairs, when we got Darcy we put his create in the dinning room, but we found Hattie kept disturbing him going in and out the room.  So we decided to put her in our bedroom in her create ( which she loves), Darcy is now 1 yrs and over the last 3 weeks they have both been left together in the dinning room with out any problems.

I think it is just trail and error, some dogs settle well straight away, others like mine can take a little longer, just do what works for you, even though i did not really what Hattie in our bedroom, i knew (hoped) it would just be a temporary move and eventually they would be downstairs on there own.
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:22:55 AM »
All 5 of mine sleep in our room but they all have their own beds. When we bought our pup home she went straight upstairs in her crate, but after just a few weeks she had her own comfy bed along side the others. Its strange but they always stick to their own bed very occasionaly 2 might sleep together  :luv:

Offline Manster62

• Dylan and Daisy
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
I'm in the same position - our new little girl is coming to live with us at the end of May and I've been thinking of the best sleeping arrangements. Dylan sleeps on our bed at night and we're in two minds whether to put Daisy's crate in our room or keep her downstairs. I have a feeling that, if we leave her in the Kitchen, Dylan might keep going down to see her.

We'll probably 'play it by ear' when she arrives - I'm sure it will work out - let us know how you get on as your puppy is arriving sooner than ours!  ;)
Dylan - b: January 2010  and  Daisy - b: March 2011
RIP Meggie - b: February 1997  - d: December 2009

Offline sarah phillips

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:00:32 PM »
We've had our new puppy 5 weeks now and he sleeps in the kitchen with his 2 year old cocker brother.

I have attached the puppy's crate to a puppy pen and he can come out the crate at night but we lock the pen shut. The older dog also has his own crate but is able to come in and out around the whole kitchen area. It's worked very well for us and they haven't disturbed each other or to my knowledge annoyed one another but are in the same room for company.

We use the same arrangement if we go out. As of yet they rarely sleep together when we're in although the puppy loves to go in the older dog's crate during the day which hasn't bothered the other dog so far.

At the minute I wouldn't let them free together in the kitchen at night as on the odd occassion they do curl up the adult dog has a habit of squashing the puppy. This of course will be less problematic when they are more similar in size. They have however started to travel together in the same crate on car journeys and this has been successful.

For me the puppy pen has really worked allowing them to be close but also ensuring everyone has their own space if needed.

The only other thing I would say is that for us keeping the older dog's routine as close to normal as possible has been key. It might not work suddenly putting them downstairs when the puppy first arrives. Having said that if you have a few weeks maybe settle your old dog downstairs now and then introduce the puppy downstairs maybe with a pen later.

Whatever you decide good luck and I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:11:52 PM »
Emily was 3 when I got Oliver, and she was used to sleeping on my bed.  I initially had Ollie's crate upstairs and he was happy in that next to the bed.  Once he was house trained I left the door open, but Emily made sure he didn't get on the bed  :005:.  They sorted themselves out and I don't use the crate anymore - they both sleep in the bedroom, either in their own beds, or on mine  ph34r.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Jeannie

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »
Thanks - haven't had 2 dogs together before a bit anxious, hopefully it will all work out well!

I trained Daisy to a pen rather than a crate, she doesn't like crates at all but does use a soft one occasionally that I bought recently and keep in the bedroom.  I won't be having my new puppy until June so Dylan's companion will arrive sooner than mine!

I started having Daisy on the bed because I have a high bed that she couldn't get on by herself and she kept waking me up through the night asking to come up - got a bit tired so gave in  :005:  Now have a cushion that she can use as a step up.  Hope they will sort themselves out when the puppy is old enough.

Offline Manster62

• Dylan and Daisy
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10:02 AM »
Hi Jeannie,

Like you, we have a 'step' for Dylan as our bed is too high! Looks like we'll both be in the same position!  :o Like you, I'm a bit anxious, not having had two dogs before - but hoping that it will all be fine. As I said, I think it will be a lot of trial and error (hopefully not too many errors  ;) )

Take care x
Dylan - b: January 2010  and  Daisy - b: March 2011
RIP Meggie - b: February 1997  - d: December 2009