Author Topic: Hasnt had Human Food Yet - Only Dry Food - Is this ok?  (Read 622 times)

Offline Dimples

Hasnt had Human Food Yet - Only Dry Food - Is this ok?
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »
I have noticed on here on various threads that people on the odd occasion add chicken to their puppies feeds. Not just when they are poorly.

I to date (14 weeks) have not let Robbie have anything extra. He has never had titbits or human food. He has his JWB dried complete food and is happy as larry with it.  He never begs or rummages for food so in our eyes thats good. He is healthy and weighs what he should.

I was led to believe that if you add extras to their feed at this stage - they can become fussy??? :-\  I also thought that the puppy complete foods were adequate for them dietry wise at this stage too.

Any thoughts and what you guys do with their puppies would be great. Thanks :D  I dont want to be depriving my young man  ph34r
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: Hasnt had Human Food Yet - Only Dry Food - Is this ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »
We were the same with Morgan, we even used bits of his kibble from his meal allowance as "treats". Later on we used other higher value treats as we expected more of him, knowing he was going to get a bit of liver cake made him really keen to learn new tasks  ;)

However he also had raw chicken wings from an early age (he was used to them at the breeder's) partly to give him something to crunch on and help keep his teeth clean and also to help keep his anal glands clear.

He has never had human food in the sense of sharing what we eat and he doesn't get titbits just for the sake of it, he has to work for his treats! We've never added other things to his complete food.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope