Author Topic: Phoebe has started snatching  (Read 783 times)

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Phoebe has started snatching
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:28:19 PM »
Ok guys, my problem is this! Phoebe has started snatching any treats that we give to her and Mia >:(  we are giving them both minicracker jacks by JWL. Phoebe will jump like a kangaroo to get hers so I make her sit, then when she gets her treat she will snatch it out of your hand (ow), sometimes she is in such a rush to get it in her mouth she will swallow it whole  >:D (not good). But because Mia likes to crunch hers Phoebe will try to take it out of her mouth or eat anything that she has dropped on the floor  >:(. This is doing my head in as I've never had this before with a pup and I'm at a loss as what to do??  Any ideas ?? Dianne x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Phoebe has started snatching
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 06:44:01 PM »

I'd give the treats seperately; so she doesn't try to guard / snatch / gulp hers to get to Mia's treat too. I had this issue with my 3, so I seperated them with a baby gate and they had treats seperately. Now they sit to have a treat, and don't snatch. Initially I gave the treat in a closed fist, only opening my hand when the dog was sitting.

Now, if treats are offered; the three dogs accept them, then run to their respected 'safe spot' to eat them  ph34r
(Meg under the stairs, Ruby to hall, Gemma to the dining room; it's quite funny to watch now; but I stay with Ruby, as she is a slow eater, and Meg will try to steal  >:D I don't want Ruby to start to resource guard her treats and toys.

ETA - do you have any problems at meal times? Do they eat near each other ? Or do you have to seperate them?
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
I feed them away from each other, otherwise Phoebe being the faster eater would go to get Mia's food, and Mia being so daft would let her.

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:35:09 PM »
Have you tried using a clicker? Say the relevant dogs name,when she looks at you, click, treat. Repeat with the other dog etc.
If Phoebe tries to snatch Mias' treat, you could try doing it with Phoebe wearing a collar and lead firmly attached to something, or under your foot to limit how far she can move  :D

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 09:56:16 AM »
Must be someting about the name :005: Our Phoebe is exactly the same, will snatch treats meant for the others. We have to feed her separately because she gulps her own food and then will steal everyone elses....and they let her. She is on a permanant diet as she is such a foodie she puts weight on so easily.
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 10:50:29 AM »
 Keep the treat in your hand so she can't snatch it off you. I always make sure I give Charlie his treat first as Millie is such a quick eater, then she leaves him alone as she's watching her treat in my hand. To stop snatching as soon as she looks like she's going to snatch or jump up I quickly raise my hand as say 'ah ah gently' and keep doing it until she takes it nicely. Now if I'm giving her something and don't want my fingers to get dog slobber on them I say 'gently' and she will be careful. Funny how your timing will effect whether they get it as my Mum just can't wrap her head around this and Millie is a hooligan with her but not me! I'm trying to train Mum at the moment as when my nephew starts holding food and todling round I want Millie to have super manners.

Millie

Offline primmer

• Murphy - working cocker spaniel
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »
Have you tried using the "Off" command ? Murphy is always hungry but having trained him with off, however excited he is to get a treat he will sit and when told off he will not take the treat from your hand until told. He now applies it himself to all food so when you put his dinner bowl down he sits and looks at me until he is told he can eat it.
Rachel and Muphy x

Offline black taz

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 10:04:02 PM »
i find if i say the dogs name as i put the treat towards them the other one leaves it alone, if they do go for it (usually Kira) i say "no, Taz's" and they seem to get it.

I also say "gentle" if Kira is in her snatchy mood - although i cannot remember how i trained her "gentle" now :embarassed:

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »
Try giving it to her on the flat of your hand, saying gently.

I have grabbers but they take it ok this way.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline dianna1

• http://picasaweb.google.com/sosNron
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »
What helped with my 2 dogs was taking a large handful of their kibble with cooked chicken on their morning walk. I feed them in irregular turns piece by piece at the end of their walk as we walk along to the gate where I put on their leads. They come to me without me calling and walks end without me waiting for them to finnish hunting rabbits.  I think having lots of little treats helps stop the panic that they may not get one.  Every dog is different!