Author Topic: Another toilet training question  (Read 646 times)

Offline Zia

Another toilet training question
« on: June 01, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum, and I really hope you can help. We've had our puppy for only 5 days now and I'm not expecting miracles as I know that he has lots to take in and lots to learn all in one go. However, he seems to be actively avoiding going in the garden, preferring to go in his pen in the lounge, or if that door is shut, the hall way.  I'll set the scene a little more to see if someone can help.

In the lounge he has a crate and a puppy run which has lino underneath it and newspaper on top. If he toilets in the run (never the crate), then I clean it up using bio washing powder as advised, if possible avoiding letting him see me do it.  If I see him doing it I make a loud noise to try and get his attention, but he either won't stop, or if he does stop, he won't start again outside.

He sleeps in another crate in the bedroom and hasn't messed in there yet, but we have been letting him out up to 3 times a night when he does tend to go.

If he ever does go outside I reward him with praise and treats.  The main problem though is that we could be outside for hours and he won't go, I'll then let him back into the house and he will go straight away, in his run if possible. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.   

P.S - apart from that he is being a very good boy!

Offline black taz

Re: Another toilet training question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:56:09 PM »
It is quite early for him yet, but i just wondered if you have started to teach him a command to "go".  From day 1 when i get a pup when i catch them in the act (in the garden or where you want them to go) i say "be clean" - then reward.  Its surprising how quickly they learn that this is what you want them to do.   He is unlikely to know why you are out in the garden at the moment.   However, you seem to be doing everything else - but i am sure others will have suggestions.

It may be yet another command to teach them now, but in the long run i think it is very important - Kira will always go on command (18 months) and its really useful when we are going out (Taz only tends to go 3 times a day which coincide with his walks anyway). 

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »
Odie was exactly the same.  I had him in a puppy pen for the first 5 months when he needed to be contained and constantly took him outside for wees/poos.  The wees he managed fairly quickly outside but he used to poo in his pen after me being outside with him for 1/2 hour or so before I needed to leave him.  Unfortunately, this was linked with Separation Anxiety - he hated being contained when I needed to go out (only for school runs of 25 mins or Tesco for 1 hour once a week).  No matter how many times I took him outside for a poo (I sort of knew when he'd be likely to go), he'd wait until he was put back inside his pen :-\   (He slept upstairs in his crate and had no overnight accidents either - he was taken out 2/3 times a night for a few weeks though).

To sort this problem, I had to build up his alone time very gradually, starting with sitting next to him, then moving further away until I was out of sight, treating him all the time he did not whine.  It took me 2 weeks of daily practice a few times a day but one day we came home to no accident (at 19 weeks).  Now I know this sounds a little extreme - don't worry! 

Most pups don't have these problems and with consistency and repetition plus plenty of treating the desired behaviour, you will get there ;)  If you need any more information, just pm me.  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Sassieb22

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:01:40 PM »
We've had Myles for 10 days today and he's not yet (fingers crossed) solid in his crate.  When we take him outside for the toilet, I've been repeating to him 'go toilet' before and during and then praising him once he's been so he's come to recognise the phrase with going to the toilet.  It's still early days for us too but this method seems to be working, getting better by the day.

We've also noticed he has more of a routine now, goes out first thing for a wee, comes in for breakfast and will then go out about 10 minutes later for a poop.  I think he's too hungry to poop first thing and needs a full tummy to help the natural progression!!

Hope this helps and that things improve you you both soon :-)

Offline Zia

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:06:58 PM »
Thanks for all of your help.  I think trying to see if there is a pattern would be useful, so I think I'm going to keep a bit of a diary to check the wee/poo/food ratio  :police: and go from there!

Offline JazzyJasmine

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
we ve had Jasmine for 2 weeks now and we tend to try and keep a close eye on her and take her out when she wakes after sleep, after shes had a drink and after she s eaten and at any other time we think she may need a wee.  Obviously you cant watch them 24/7 so she does have the odd accident in the house eg the other day she wee d twice in the house but then another day wont have any accidents in the house at all.  She get s taken out before we go to bed and then generally wakes at about 5 ish for the toilet, but sometimes doesnt always want to go to sleep and wants to play lol!