Author Topic: Your routine  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
Your routine
« on: June 05, 2011, 03:26:40 PM »
How many of you have a routine with your puppy? What is your day like with your puppy??

Offline janandted

• Donator
Re: Your routine
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »
What is 'routine ':005: Mine has gone out the window this week....will be interested to see other replies ;)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 03:46:26 PM »
I was lucky with Odie (he's now 17 month old).  I'm a stay at home mum so had all day with him (sometimes a negative I've now decided :shades: :lol2:).  He awoke between 5-6am for the toilet then up with me around 7.20am.  I spent the first 4/5 months in the garden every 30 mins - 1 hour for wees etc (always have a coat and brolly handy :005:).  I also kept a 'toilet diary' so I could try and predict when he'd need his poos ph34r :lol2:

The days were spent doing little snippets of training with him/playtime and short walks.  He also had rest times throughout the day. 

Unfortunately, he suffered from bad Separation Anxiety when I had to do the school run or pop to the shops so had added problems/mess in that department which took ages to clear up every time ph34r so I'd recommend building up crate time gradually to deal with any potential problems.  Once I'd done this, he was fine to be left for 1/2 hours whilst he was little. 

Hope this helps!  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 03:48:23 PM »
hahahahaha routine hahahahaha  ;)

we've just got a new cocker puppy and have a 2 year old cocker, i stooopidly thought that this time around i would be prepared and that this pup would just fall into routine with the rest of us........errr, no, life has been turned upsidedown again.

having said that, this time around has been much easier as i know what to expect from a cocker pup....we spend all day trying to wearing it out so at least we dont have too bad a nights sleep  :005:

i cant help thinking that the kind of people who choose to own a cocker arent that fussed about routine in the first place. Says more about us owners than the dogs.  :D

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »
I was lucky with Odie (he's now 17 month old).  I'm a stay at home mum so had all day with him (sometimes a negative I've now decided :shades: :lol2:).  He awoke between 5-6am for the toilet then up with me around 7.20am.  I spent the first 4/5 months in the garden every 30 mins - 1 hour for wees etc (always have a coat and brolly handy :005:).  I also kept a 'toilet diary' so I could try and predict when he'd need his poos ph34r :lol2:

The days were spent doing little snippets of training with him/playtime and short walks.  He also had rest times throughout the day. 

Unfortunately, he suffered from bad Separation Anxiety when I had to do the school run or pop to the shops so had added problems/mess in that department which took ages to clear up every time ph34r so I'd recommend building up crate time gradually to deal with any potential problems.  Once I'd done this, he was fine to be left for 1/2 hours whilst he was little. 

Hope this helps!  Lesley

Sounds like me I did this at first but I was also told by the breeder she went every two hours so it was eay ^^

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
I could never understand how some pups managed to hold their bladders for a long time - Odie used to squeeze out a wee at least every 30-45 mins :o even though he has never been a big drinker :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Monstersspaniel

• My one and only
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 04:15:26 PM »
I could never understand how some pups managed to hold their bladders for a long time - Odie used to squeeze out a wee at least every 30-45 mins :o even though he has never been a big drinker :lol2:

Once she had settled in we do have a week were should go that often but now it about every two hours again all is well ^^

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »
I stupidly or just conveniently had forgotten how much hard work having a pup is  :005:

Freya is just fab and has settled straight into a routine. She sleeps from about 10-10.30 til 5am (ish) then back to bed and up about 7.15 (dont understand how she does this exact time-unless she has a watch I dont know of!!)...

She has her 4 meals a day but not really really structured as she has to fit in with whats happening at the time and to be honest she isnt bothered by most of the meals only breakfast and tea!!

She loves play time and Loves being brushed (Im over the moon!) and training is coming on really well. 2nd vacc tomorrow then countdown til I can take her out for a few mins on the floor...she now screams and wriggles so much when out being carried and its a job to hang on to her!! She is very independent-hmm!!!
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline Juno

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »
Goggins, Freya sounds very much like Juno - apart from the brushing which she thinks is one big game! She wakes at almost exactly the same time each morning - no idea how she does it - and even varying her mealtimes slightly makes no difference.  Carrying her around is getting trickier as she's just desperate to get her paws on the floor. At least I get people's attention to come and say hello to the squirming, warbling pup. ;)

To the OP - I feel more like I'm slotting very much into Juno's routine than her into mine at the monent!

Offline vicky106

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 05:23:11 PM »
I have to agree with Juno about fitting into her routine - Pepper has us all wrapped round her paw!.

The only things established for us are that she sleeps from 10.30ish - 6am usually without a peep and now has three meals a day 8am, 1.30pm and 6.30pm...... the rest is pretty much as it comes!.

Offline grracee

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 05:37:43 PM »
She sleeps from about 10-10.30 til 5am (ish) then back to bed and up about 7.15 (dont understand how she does this exact time-unless she has a watch I dont know of!!)

Yes, Toby is exactly the same - how do they do this??  :005: :005: He goes to bed around 11 each night and wakes about 4 to go out for the toilet then back to sleep until about 8ish (which he knows is breakfast time!  :lol: ) It's always the same time though.  :luv:

Offline dawn

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
I'm so glad everyone else is wrapped around their puppy's paws!

Henry is five months, and sort of has a routine. Up at 5 am (OH gets up for work), quick poo and wee walk round park, about 20mins.Back to bed until 8.30 ish, when I get up, lucky me, a lie in! Then walk around 11 ish, then again at 7 ish. Bedtime, in crate about 8.30 pm. He'll sometimes sleep for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

When he was younger, we had no routine, just poo and wee in the garden every couple of hours, up in the night once for playtime too!

xx

Offline kathleenalder

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »
I must say with Missy we have a pretty strictish routine, just because she was/ is quite an excitable cocker and our dog trainer suggested it too.
she sleeps a lot from about 9 pm to 8 am without interruption. We tend to get her out when we go to bed for a quick wee which is around 11 pm.
We tend to have a one hour awake, up to one hour sleep thing going. she gets meals 8.30 am/ 12 noon/ 6 pm and she goes on 2-3 short walks late morning/ late afternoon.

I wouldnt really say we can stick to the routine, but we try :-)

Offline Dimples

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »
Monday to Friday we are in a fairly strict routine purely because I work. So here it is:

06.30am wake up - outside for wee
06.40am breakfast - outside for poo and playtime
08.00am walkies - abt 20 mins round a park
08.40am -arrive at office - quick wee then off to sleep he goes until 11am
11.00am - coffee time - kettle on - out we go for a 10 min walk and a wee
11am-11.30ish walk and play time.
11.30am back to sleep he goes
12.45pm - lunch time
13.00pm - walk time over the fields
14.00pm - worn out and tired off to sleep
15.00pm - home time
15.30pm - garden and play time until dinner
18.00pm - dinner time
20.00pm - walks in the woods.
22.00pm bed time zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This all sounds very boring but it really does work for us monday to friday.  A couple of days a week he goes to mums and that has no routine at all. Weekends - all routines go out the window apart from his meal times but certainly no breakfast at 6.40!!!!!  more like 8.30am  :005:
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 11:06:35 PM »
A wise old breeder once told me not to get into a routine when feeding or walking.

Someday you will want to stay in your bed on a Sunday and dog will say. "Hey boss, I always get a walk at 8.30am".