Author Topic: Yuk - Puppy eating poop  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Bella & Poppy

Yuk - Puppy eating poop
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
Hi,

We have recently got a second pup who is now 10 weeks old

Everything going well apart from her eating her poo - I know this is not going to do her any harm but it's a horrible habit which we want to stop NOW!!!

Any suggestions?

Offline Emma3

• Emma and Bella
Re: Yuk - Puppy eating poop
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:22:42 PM »
Bella's only done this a few times, thank goodness. Never her own but other dogs. It makes me feel sick :020:. I think I've read that you can get something to add to their food or water that puts them off doing it. Hopefully someone will be along who knows more about it.

I've been told that feeding them pineapple also makes it unattractive to them, but I think the challenge is persuading them to eat the pineapple in the first place since the point is that they don't like the taste :005:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:22:55 PM »
The only guaranteed solution is to pick up poo straightaway before she can eat it.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »
Was told that some puppy food esp dry food has so much protein in it that poos still seem like food to pup.

Remove poos ASAP so no temptation.

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »
What tips for pup eating cow poop! :o

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »

Put them back on the lead asap  :005: :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »

When I was a boy I fell head on straight into a cow poop.  >:(  Great conditioner though, what a shine in my hair. :lol2:

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:29:44 AM »
Thankfully Ive only had one pup who loved eating her own poo....thankfully she loved eating pineapple and it worked straight away!!

Good Luck...
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline Manster62

• Dylan and Daisy
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
We had this same problem with Dylan last year when he was little. We tried everything to try to stop him - pineapple (he just seemed to love the poos even more  :005:), Repelum(??) tablets - no use whatsoever, tried to clear up straight away - but he became so anxious about getting to eat them that he used to poo while turning around so that he could be sure of getting it  >:D . He even got to the stage where he was anxious about going altogether so we had to back off a little and allow him to poo when he needed to, rather than 'hovering' over him with a bag, ready to pounce. He refused point-blank to poo at all if he was on a lead.
With a lot of patience and persistant training, he eventually stopped eating his own poo at about six months - though we had to watch him closely. However, he then moved on to eating other dogs' poo when we took him out (don't get me started regarding people who don't clear up after their dogs  >:D )
Even now, at 17 months old, he will try to eat other dogs' deposits if we don't watch him closely, though he is better than he was.
Many people told us that they do grow out of these habits, hopefully this is true.
I wish you luck with this and hope that you get it sorted earlier than we did. It is horrible, but you do learn to accept that it is something they do - and while you do everything you can to stop them, just accept that occasionally they will succeed in their quest. For ages it used to drive us mad and it was really getting us down - I'm sure that Dylan sensed our anxieties and almost became more anxious himself to get to the poo as quickly as he could. Now that we're more relaxed, things are definitely better.
Dylan - b: January 2010  and  Daisy - b: March 2011
RIP Meggie - b: February 1997  - d: December 2009

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:37 AM »
charcoal bonios worked for us!!!!.....ebony was a nightmare poo eater and it was hard work to clear it before she got to it as she was practically munching it as it was coming out....we preactically had to stand behind her and catch it straight into a poo bag.

a friend told us about charcoal bonios, you feed half a biscuit before their meal and it seems to stop their poo smelling so delicious. worked a treat with our ebony  ;)

pets at hone sell them loose and are very cheap..worth a try x

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 01:15:36 PM »

When I was a boy I fell head on straight into a cow poop.  >:(  Great conditioner though, what a shine in my hair. :lol2:

Ah so thats why Toby's coat is so shiney!

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »
It seems to be quite common with cockers :luv:
Rufus does it...his own and any other dog's. In fact that was the main reason his first owner gave him up at 8 months old. Have tried all the pineapple, hot pepper, stuff from PAH but he still does it. It's damage limitation really. if I am near enough and I say leave he'll leave it ditto drop but he's quite clever about it.
But he still gets some.... >:D He is now 5 so when is he going to grow out of it?! :005:

Offline black taz

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
welcome to puppy ownership!

If you can train the "leave" command you could try that, but picking it up immediately is probably the best option.

Lots of puppies do it but grow out of it anyway (but not all).

Two of my three dogs have done it has puppies but grown out of it if that is any help to you.

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »
Ruby is now 6 months old and will eat her own poo if she gets the chance, so we have to pick it up immediately >:D She also brings it in the house given the opportunity >:D >:D She will sniff other dogs poo but doesn't try to eat it. She does eat rabbit poo though.....
Lynn

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 07:07:34 PM »
Ollie was a poo eater when ha was on kimble, he is now raw fed and doesn't do it. I always took him for a poo on his lead it was much easier to walk him away from it then pick it up.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010