Author Topic: Barking at children [Video inside]  (Read 4269 times)

Offline chrisUK263

Barking at children [Video inside]
« on: June 28, 2011, 08:42:23 PM »
So I manged to recreate the situation that happens in the house with Jess this afternoon after trying to make it happen several time and her not performing for camera she eventually did bark at the child (I didn't force this or put her under any stress, just had the boy talk to me while gate was shut and I was in the kitchen)

this is the barking that I tried to explain before but now with a video to maybe help address the problem. If it persists then we will be calling out a home behaviorist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_fUhyx0G8

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
Re: Barking at children [Video inside]
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »
I didn't hear anything to worry me in that video to be honest, sorry, not what you want to hear. It didn't sound like a nasty bark, more like "Hello, there's a conversation going on, can I join in?" The child seemed to be moving about and approaching the gate which could have stimulated the dog.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
What are you concerns ? the dog is behind a baby gate when the young person approaches with something in their hand ...strange to the dog  :-\ My dogs will go mad when they are behind a gate and my son's approach. What happens when you just walk in ?
Have you given any commands to the dog to be quiet ? How old is the dog ?

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
I don't consider this normal behavior, in the video was a bit more tame than usual but other times she will get really snappy and will bark for no reason. She wasn't barking at the item in the hand of the boy. This happens a lot recently, when either child closes the gate, they are near the gate, they go upstairs and sometime just when they are sat in the same room as the dog. Today she did it to one of the boys friends she's never even met before and started barking at him.

When this does happen she will bark and bark for a while and if i try to remove her from the room for a timeout, using the long line she will become very aggressive and begin to snarl and once began growling at me.

Apart from this one issue she is a fantastic dog and is really well behaved, but it's gotten to a point when I don't trust her around the children just in case one day she does decide to snap at them.

I did speak to my trainer about it and they said "without seeing it happen, it's hard what advice to give" but she suggested getting the kids doing training and exchanges with her for her toys and high reward treats.

We have been given a number of reasons as to why this might be happeing;  Wanting to play with the children, them leaving her area without permission, children coming near her personal area without permission, protecting toys and food and scared of the children.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:05:11 PM »
I'm not certain this is anything to worry about. The way I perceived it was wanting to interact with the boy and not being able to because of the gate? Or as Elaine said just joining in? I'm not an expert by any means but that didn't look nasty to me

Offline Mrs T

• Donator
  • Harry 30/6/94-11/1/10
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:07:39 PM »
Having watched the video three times, it looks as though the lad is teasing her.   At the start he goes looking for her and then holds the paper trick towards her whilst moving to and fro and laughs when she barks.   It's no wonder she reacts.

Phoebe went to the Bridge on 25/11/2012   :luv:

Offline seaangler

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 09:07:45 PM »
I to can stand like that in front are peggy and make her bark..Nothing wrong what so ever.....Dogs do like to talk.......

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
I'll try capture another video tomorrow, but when you witness it first hand it looks nasty. She does this sometimes even when the boy and Jess are in the same room or the girl.

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:09:36 PM »
Having watched the video three times, it looks as though the lad is teasing her.   At the start he goes looking for her and then holds the paper trick towards her whilst moving to and fro and laughs when she barks.   It's no wonder she reacts.
This happens other times when we are just sat on the sofa together and she will just start barking at them for no reason and will only stop when I remove her from the room.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 09:10:27 PM »
I'll try capture another video tomorrow, but when you witness it first hand it looks nasty. She does this sometimes even when the boy and Jess are in the same room or the girl.

Another video would be helpful, its very hard for anyone to get a real sense of whats going on from one clip

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »
Would be interested to see another video as couldn't see anything untoward in that one really.

She didn't bark when the boy first came over.

She started barking when you started talking to the boy.

She then looked over to you after she'd barked to see what she should do.

She then went over to the empty food bowl area to check that out - had she just had some food in that bowl?

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Have you taught her a firm No ..Quiet......when the incidents happen.

Does she listen to your commands ? I have had many difficult cockers but have never thankfully needed a behaviourist. I have dealt with firm commands and boundies. She must see you as the leader and protector  :luv:

What is her reaction if you just walk in through the gate ?

We have a few behaviourists on here hopefully they will see your post and offer some guidance  :blink: but from your video I would not have any real concerns, but may remove gate if it causing anxiety

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 09:15:11 PM »
Would be interested to see another video as couldn't see anything untoward in that one really.

She didn't bark when the boy first came over.

She started barking when you started talking to the boy.

She then looked over to you after she'd barked to see what she should do.

She then went over to the empty food bowl area to check that out - had she just had some food in that bowl?

No she had her tea at about 5 o'clock video was taken about 9 o'clock so it's been gone a long time.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:16:24 PM »
Looking again(at the video) the dog looks frustrated.... And as Jeanette as said he did not bark untill your hubby said some thing..Also are peggy does NOT like certain things one holds in your hand and will back away as she does NOT like what she sees...May be part of whats going on!!!!

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »
sorry but the boy was teasing her with his paper thing, and by the look on his face he knew it...
helen & jarvis x