Author Topic: Barking at children [Video inside]  (Read 4268 times)

Offline chrisUK263

Re: Barking at children [Video inside]
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 10:06:47 PM »

She's coming up to 7 months now, she doesn't nip or bite but the girl is scared she might

Then keep them separate until the pup has matured a lot more and the little girl is more confident. I remember Hannah gave you the benefit of her experience with young children and lively cocker pups, are you still following her advice? It's a long process, needs loads of patience and consistency.

Children can sometimes regard animals as they would some of their programmable toys and it just doesn't work that way, they have moods and get tired just as we do and it's not helped by the fact that they don't actually understand English or can respond to  a reasoned rationale.

Yeah we are sticking to all the advice given to us by other members of the board. I will try capture a few more videos in the next few days and update as of when  they happen.

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 10:14:05 PM »
You said that the little girl wears her shoes as she doesn't want the pup biting her toes when she goes past, doesn't sound to me as though you're keeping them separate as advised. Please don't be tempted to rush the process and look for quick fixes.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »
Hi chris

It might be a good idea to write down all the 'issues' you are having keeping a diary about what led up to things that you don't consider acceptable and take some more video . If you do consult a professional then they will appreciate this anyway . They will probably also ask about what led to you deciding on getting a dog , did all the family want one , is anyone in the family generally wary of dogs have they had any bad experiences around them before this dog . Etc etc they will also ask about routines,play stimulation,feeding and interaction with the dog and how it fits into the family .

I notice you have been posting for a few months over things that concern you and that you don,t consider Acceptable behaviour . For what it's worth I would suggest you put your mind at rest one way or another by having a proper assessment done . Assuming you have pet insurance it might be you have some cover so check this out . Ours for an old springer had 500 pounds cover and it had to be someone the vet revered us to . Not a random newspaper advert . We went to Rodger Mugfords with video and a diary .

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »
It's so hard to tell from such a short clip but I tend to agree with Karma - it looks and sounds like a combination of anticipatory and frustrated behaviour to me and not aggressive.

I hate to confuse things further but must admit I have my doubts about completely separating kids and puppies - although it seems to have worked well for some members I'm not sure it's something that would work for every puppy and every family, it seems a bit extreme to me unless there are serious problems. Cockers are social creatures and thrive on company - if she spends all her time separated behind a barrier when the kids are around it may explain her frustration. To my dogs kids=fun, they'd bark too if they were in sight but kept away from them.

Like everyone else I'm only guessing though, it's so hard to tell.

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »
sorry but the boy was teasing her with his paper thing, and by the look on his face he knew it...

Just let the wife see the post and SHE agrees...In what Helen says...

Also like i said some thing the lad has in his hand its obvious the dog does NOT like it (like are Peggy does) at times..And he barks...

I don't agree,i have just watched that video at least 6 times,and have tilted the screen backwards/forwards to try and see "the look on his face" and his face can barely be seen,let alone an expression.

I don't feel confident enough to comment without seeing more video,except to say the dog possibly seems a bit agitated,but Chris was trying to recreate what usually happens,hence why the child seemed to dither about a bit.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline elaine

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 11:02:24 PM »
I just read all through everyone's comments before i watched the video and was expecting to see a nervy, snappy, dog, but then the video made me really sad.  What a gorgeous puppy, and the way she is acting reminds me so much of our gorgeous Sweep.  We have a baby gate on the kitchen door, but only so they cant go running up the hall and escape out of the front door if someone knocks, or run up the stairs unattended and start "collecting" things from the bedroom.  This is exactly how she would act if anyone that she knew approached the gate, she looked excited and her barking was clearly saying "hello, I'm excited, are you coming over to play with me" - her little tail was wagging away and she was doing the cutesy play bows.  Then when the young bow moved about from side to side with the paper in his hand she still looked as if she wanted to join in whatever was going on and she was still wagging her tail.  An then eventually she gave up standing up at the gate, looked around at you as if she was wondering whether you were going to let her through the gate to play and then got down from the gate altogether and wandered away from it, I thought she was actually disappointed that she had thought she was going to have some fun and get played with and then the little boy didn't come through the gate and so she just gave up on the excited barking. It's an awful shame that the children are "nervous in case the pup bites them" - most children are so excited to have a puppy and even wind the dog up with giddy over-excited games.  It would be really lovely for the children and the pup if you could have supervised calm play sessions with them, with everybody talking and behaving calmly and lots of treats for good behaviour, it will be a terrible shame if the children miss out on the pleasure of the dog growing up with them and becomming devoted to them, as cocker spaniels do with thier oweners.  Good luck.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 11:22:54 PM »
I felt a bit sad watching it too Elaine - with the caveat that none of us can say for sure and we all may be overanalysing, it did seem to me like she's frustrated that she's being prevented from integrating/playing with her family and frustrated that both her body language and her verbal attempts at communication are being ignored/misunderstood.  :-\

Chris - if you don't mind posting whereabouts in the country you are, maybe someone could point you in the direction of a good behaviourist. I really think you need professional help from someone who can observe first hand how all of you in the family are interacting with your pup, something is obviously going badly wrong here and it's impossible for us to be confident of giving accurate or worthwhile advice based on your posts & video clips - we are all saying contradictory things which is just likely to confuse you further.

Btw I don't want to offend you and don't know if it's an illusion caused by a thick puppy coat but she looks a bit on the tubby side to me, I'd never have guessed she was only 7 months old. If it's not a thick puppy coat and she's getting adequate exercise, you might need to adjust the amount you are feeding her.

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 07:04:47 AM »
So I manged to recreate the situation that happens in the house with Jess this afternoon after trying to make it happen several time and her not performing for camera she eventually did bark at the child (I didn't force this or put her under any stress,

Morning chris

If you have been trying to re create a situation several times and nothing happened then is it a consistent problem ?  . I agree with others it does seem she is just talking and does not seem to understand what your doing  . As mentioned there are a lot of different opinions that could confuse things and it's better to get the situation assessed properly .

Either see the vet for a referral thru your insurance after checking it will pay (as posted ours did ) or do as Colin suggested and let us know where you are and a professional can be recommended .it really is the only way you will have your mind put at rest .
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline seaangler

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »
Like i have said and others the dog is frustrated..it wonts to get some ware and it cant...The signs are there Turning around looking on the floor the two paws on the floor and the barking to Finnish it of...

The lad does not help by backing a way and making that silly grunting sound
The father does not help either by walking around with a cam corder in his hand..
My humble opinion is(and i have said and another member has said its frustration)
Are Peggy will back away from me if i had a cam/corder in my hand..

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »
In my limited opinion (as a owner of 2 cockers) i didn't think that she seemed aggressive at all, just vocal which is not unusual for a cocker.  She just seems to want to see what the paper thing was ie edible  ;)  . At seven months she is still learning and I too felt sad as she looks as though she wants to be more included in the family,

Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline Dimples

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »
After having read all the thread I decided to view the video which i wasnt going to at first as I felt sad just reading this. Anyway, I am sorry but I can only feel sadness for this puppy.

Jess just wants to be included. I really feel the boy was teasing Jess with attention...Jess was wagging his tail and wanted to come out and play in my opinion.  If my Robbie was shut in our Utility Room and one of us was the other side doing that he would be jumping up and down barking. He would think 'hey let me out i want to play'.!  I think its sad that you set this up to video. Surely better to grab the video in a real life moment. Not staged.  I saw no sign of agressiveness.

As for the tubbiness comment - to be fair i couldnt really tell that. When he jumps up he seems quite tall but i am only judging by my robbies size at 5.5 months - if he jumped up he wouldnt be able to rest on the gate top. Robbie is very fluffy still but has a definate waistline visible.  :-\

I really hope for your sakes and Jess' that you seek help. I think at 7 months you should be really enjoyed Jess and like others have said - there is times where 'puppy behaviour' just has to be accepted.

Good luck  :blink:
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old

Offline seaangler

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 01:07:33 PM »
The more i see post go on the more i see frustration....(in the video)

Has been said..More than once....Jess just wants to be included...And at seven mounts two thirds through its sperth growth he should fully engage with every thing that goes on around the household...Playing, learning,...(And play biting) what growing up puppies do.....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline chrisUK263

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
Thanks for all of the comments and to those asking where about we live, we have had a few recommendation for one person in our area, but also the place that we are doing puppy training with at the moment offer home visits which I will ask about next Monday. I think having our trainer come to our house would be a bit better as she knows what obedience level Jess is currently at rather than a completely new person. what would you guys suggest?  I live in West Yorkshire by the way if there is any people you would like to suggest.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 03:02:03 PM »

Hi I wonder if Top Barks is near you.    Take care it does get better. Dylan who is now 10 was not easy as a puppy. With training and consistency  it does work.  He is now such a laid back boy and great with my grandchildren.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 03:05:12 PM »
Top Barks is over York way so maybe not close enough.
Depends which part of West Yorks Chris is in; it's a big county!
xxx