Author Topic: ...And so it begins (Lead Training)  (Read 932 times)

Offline JeffreyAndNell

...And so it begins (Lead Training)
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »
Hello folks,

Well, as predicted by several people on my introductory photo thread, they are indeed a handful....verging on nightmare, at times.

To anyone reading this who didn't see my thread, we have two 9 week old pups - Jeffrey and Nell.

They're due their second jab in a couple of weeks time, after which we'll be able to take them out for walks. To that end, we've started trying to acclimatise them to their leads by taking them for "walks" around the garden (it's a big garden).

And they're having none of it!!

I had a look at some Lead Training threads where some people have pups who just sit and won't move, others who just want to eat the lead....well ours do all of that, AND they struggle to get out of the lead and then just sit there wimpering.

My partner's reluctant to use treats in their training as they're greedy little sods already, but I'm inclined to think it's the only way to get them to take any notice of us.

To be honest, the lead training's just a bit of the troubles, neither of them seem to take any notice when you tell them not to do something - usually chewing something, and getting them to come to us (just general obedience, really) isn't happening either.

Another thing we're both a bit unsure of is how to punish them when they just won't listen (eg, continuously returning to chew something you've told them not to), I've tried raising my voice saying "NO!" etc and tapped them on the nose or lifting them away from whatever it is - to not much avail.

(Yet) another thing I wondered is how long it's taken people here to get their pups to know their own names. About a week after we got them, Nell seemed to be REALLY getting the hang of it - but has since decided "Nell" no longer applies to her, and Jeffrey never had (and still hasn't) a clue.

Sorry, lots of questions, I've had dogs whilst growing up and thought I was pretty good with them - turns out I have a lot to learn now, too.  :doh:

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Sarah1985

Re: ...And so it begins (Lead Training)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:57:54 AM »
I really would introducing treats into their training. Nell prob got the hang of her name but realise there was no incentive to getting it right so stopped listening. Why would she listen when she can be off having fun instead  :D? Would you do everything your boss asked if he wasnt paying you?

Start by shouting them before meal times and they will start to realise that if they come when they hear their names good things will happen.

Greedy is brilliant when they are training them, it means they are keen to work to earn their food. If your worried about their weight give them their food by hand in exchange for good behaviour.

With regards to punishment you need to think about what you want them to do rather than what you dont want them to do. If they're jumping up you teach them "off" (4 feet on the floor), if they are chewing furtanture destract them with a toy, if they pull on the lead, teach them to walk nicely beside you. In the early months its really about not giving them the oppertunity to be naughty (by puppy proofing) otherwise you'll spend all your time punishing them and they wont learn anything as from their point of view everything they do is wrong so whats the point in trying. As they calm down you can reintroduce items and teach them one rule at a time what is and what isnt acceptable.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:00:36 PM »
OK, firstly please do not punish the pups for bad behaviour - this never works.   They need to be rewarded for good behaviour.  When I first put a collar and lead on Toby he was horrified.  He sat and refused to move and chewed the lead.  If you haven't tried this already, put the collars on then attach the leads.  Let them roam freely, dragging the leads along with them but make sure you keep a watchful eye on them.  When they start to get used to the feel of the lead, then take the lead in your hand and gently get them to walk with you by holding a treat in one hand and leading them with the other.  It took Toby a few days to grasp it but by the time he was fully vaccinated, he was totally used to his lead and walking confidently and happily.  Hope this helps a bit.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Misty Roan

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »
Quote (eg, continuously returning to chew something

Know what you mean about continuously repeating naughty stuff.  I have gravel eating puppy, Vet was completely  :lol:hysterical when I said I had vaccuumed my patio.  Didn't work anyway, she digs them out of any gap she can find.  Also had a little area of sand and gravel which is now fenced in by pot plants.  :005:  Still trying to work out a way to make the lawn edge inaccessible.  :dunno:
Misty 3.6.2011 - 1.11.2016

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
My tip to you would be "divide and conquer" :D
Lots of individual training where you and hubby swap
pups so you both work with each one out of
sight and sound of the other.
And .....
(I know this may be difficult)
Separate training classes for them!
Good luck(been there, bought the t-shirt etc :005:)
steffxxx 

Offline JulieM

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 05:51:35 PM »
Remember they're only 9 weeks old  ;) at 8 months we're still mastering some of the things you mention!

Have you read any of the recommended puppy books? I think they explain really well why treats are a good idea and help pup understand what you're after. I measured out the days food in the morning and used some of it as 'meals' and some of it as 'treats' to start with so it's not more food necessarily- just more spaced out. Maybe try treating one behaviour e.g. responding to their name and see if it works?- think you'll be amazed at how much more they start listening to you!

Keep going- it's tough to start with, but in a few weeks/ months time it will all feel much better!  :D

Offline michelle77

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 10:57:52 AM »
We found when Louis started chewing something we did not want him to do and toy distraction was not working the last resort was the time out, we would just pick him up and pop him in the kitchen and shut the door, he would whimper to come back in and then when he was quiet we would let him back in.  In the beginning he would just resume his reign of terror and then get sent back in to solitary  >:D but it really worked for us, might be different with 2 little monkey's i suppose they would need to be separated?

Louis is 5 and half months now and has days when he is a b***** and is still a bit bitey (but now does not have those lovely little needle teeth) when we first had him we wondered what the hell we had done to ourselves, he would have me in tears sometimes and from other threads lots of people go through the same things, he is mostly a pleasure now and i would not be without him and he is such a character

i agree with the others, treats are a god send if you have a hungry pup, Louis responded well with nibbles, we now have the other problem that he now expects a treat  :005:

it is hard work but you will end up with 2 beautiful dogs  :luv: 

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »
Diesel is nearly 4 months and still has difficulty being told off - NO ! and taking him away from it and throwing a toy in the direction works 90% of the time
He works well with walking on the lead with treats - treat for a set amount of time walking at my side, I have an extendable lead - if he stops to smell i keep on walking til lead stops then call him - he gets a treat for coming when told same when he runs ahead - i say Diesel Wait ! And he will stop and sit for me to come - gets a treat and repeats it all ways home - however i must stress that generally this is only whe HE wants to do it sometimes he just wont behave at all and so i just keep doing the same thing over and over again until he realises that he is NOT to chew - When he is really bad and keeps going back to the same area to chew - i put him in the kitchen diningroom (his beedroom) and close the door - i leave him there for 3 mins and then let him out - this works wonders on his behaviour - i call it Chill time for him
Hope you get there eventually :)
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »
unfortunately it is all so much harder if you have 2 pups the same age
my mum had 2 litter mates... they kind of egg each other on... you will get there but it may take a littel loner
Good luck