Author Topic: New puppy & new member :)  (Read 1244 times)

Offline pennylopey

• Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020
New puppy & new member :)
« on: August 03, 2011, 05:00:38 PM »
Hello, just wanting to say a quick hello, I will check out the forums more later tonight.  :D

I'm Penny and am the proud new owner of a little golden boy called Alfie :luv:, he's 10 weeks old tomorrow and we've had him home since Friday. He's absolutely gorgeous but is getting a bit cheeky with his biting and tends to have a crazy hour every morning and evening where he's just running around nipping anything and everything, and we're finding it hard to distract him with his toys, is this normal for a cocker? At the moment we try and calm him with a few of his toys but if it isn't working he gets shut in the kitchen to calm down for a few minutes, which he really doesn't like!

Me and my hubby both grew up with dogs and want our children to have the same, any tips on youngish (5 and 7) children and puppy training? We're finding the 7 year old is pretty good but the 5 year old tends to get Alfie more excited than anything!

Anyway just a quickie to begin with, I might post a couple of pictures of him later and will have a proper look around the forum too.

Thanks in advance!

Penny x
Missing Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020

Offline writercat

• Cat Clarke writes YA
Re: New puppy & new member :)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
Welcome! Please can we see some Alfie pics soon?

The madness in the morning and evening seems to be normal - I started a thread on here about that very phenomenon! I haven't found anything that works to stop it... yet!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 07:21:42 PM »
Welcome to you both, some piccies would be lovely please  ;)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 07:30:53 PM »
Hiya Penny and Alfie welcome to COL  :lol:

This forum has been such a help to me as a first time cocker/dog owner, with loads of support and advice when i've needed it

Enjoy your little one and the forum, look forward to some pictures of the wee man when you get round to it

I'm Danni by the way and have a two year old working type called Freya x

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL...

This is a very friendly forum and full of lots of good advice and very knowledgeable people...

Im owned by Freya a blue roan who is almost 5 months...enjoy the puppy phase as it passes all too quick!!
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:08:17 PM »
Hi and welcome.  A cocker puppy running around like something demented twice a day is soooo normal, so no need to worry.  :lol:  Look forward to seeing pics of Alfie.  :blink:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline Smokey 1

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 10:36:07 PM »
Another Golden Cocker boy,  :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: get some photo's up quick sticks. Cant wait to see little Alfie and hear about all his adventures. Welcome to you both

Smokey
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Offline pennylopey

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:12:52 AM »
Thanks everyone.  :D

I'm at work (on a break!) so can't access any photo storage sites to get proper photos up but have added a picture of him as my profile picture on here, this one was taken the day after we'd brought him home and he was still a little unsure of everything! It's pretty hard to get a photo of him now, he never keeps still!!

Little monkey put a hole in my pyjamas last night, I was walking across the living room and he decided to hitch a lift but grabbing onto the bottom of my pj's..

Glad to hear he's all normal, does anyone else crate their puppy as we're thinking of doing this, moreso to give him a break from the kids when he needs it and also for him to sleep in. He's pretty good at night but when he wakes he scrabbles at the kitchen door to wake us up!

Thanks again,

Penny x

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
Hi Penny and welcome  :luv:, my puppies phoebe and mia are now 6months old and we have a crate in the kitchen, so when they want a rest from us hoomans they take themselves off to their crate for a bit of quiet time.  We also have 2 soft crates in the bedroom so that they can sleep better at night  I know bad habit  >:D. But then again I don't think there are many COLS that don't have their doggys upstairs with them  :005: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:32:03 AM »
Hi Penny and Alfie :luv:
Welcome to CoL
Sounds as though Alfie is keeping you
on your toes :005:
We will keep our eyes peeled for
your piccys!
steff and Ellie the showgirlxxx

Offline Happygal

• Wispa now 2 years old
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:39:51 AM »
Hi and welcome to Col, Alfie sounds adorable, waiting to see the photos like everyone else :005:

We used a crate with Wispa when she was younger and we used to put her in for short spells during the day, putting a blanket right over the top of it to make a lovely cosy den. She was soooo good in it and was no trouble at all, think we were lucky!!

She is now 8mths old and still sleeps in a pen at night or when we go out along with our poodle Peggy, altho we do now let her sleep in the lounge at night times on very odd occasions. As we live for ten months of the year in a static caravan the pen is useful for putting her in when she comes in all wet and muddy.

I think they enjoy their own space personally but each dog is different, so long as you are all happy that is the main thing and you find something that works for you. With the children around it wont do Alfie any harm to know that sometimes he has to go on his bed and the children have to learn that when he is on his bed to leave him alone. I have a six year old grandson who finds this soooooo difficult though, he seems to think the dog is there for his pleasure whenever, so I do put my dogs in their pen sometimes to make sure the dogs get a break.

Enjoy Alfie, cockers are soooo great :luv: :luv:

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:52 AM »
Hi Penny and Alfie - your wee boy looks adorable! I'm Di and I have a Penny-cocker who is nearly 13 weeks and also a 9 year old springer called Jonny. I would definitely recommend a crate too. My last cocker, Jess, used to do the door scrabbling thing and also attacked Jonny's bed (not her own, natch) when she wakened and we weren't there. Getting her a crate was the best thing ever. She loved it, and I was able to put her in it if we had non-doggy-loving visitors or small children (she was a bit nervous of kids). Penny slept in a crate from day one.

Looking forward to more pics of Alfie.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline primmer

• Murphy - working cocker spaniel
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »
Welcome Penny & Alfie - you will find this forum invaluable. Murphy is now 17 months old and I have got lots of advice and tips from here.
We crated Murphy from day 1 and have found that it really worked for us. He is put in his crate when we have our evening meal and this has proved helpful as if we eat without him being in the crate he never begs and last weekend we even managed to have a BBQ with friends and food laid out on a table and he never tried to steal anything. We also put him in the crate over night and at bedtime it is covered with blankets and he slept right through after the second night. When he is tired or if he is unwell he always takes himself to the crate and on the ocasions he has a mad episode and we can't calm him down we put him in there.
Another thing which was useful and which we still have are child gates we have one in the kitchen and one in the hallway which we did use for time out when mouthing and biting got too bad so that he could still see us.
Good luck with Alfie - can't wait to see a pic
Rachel and Muphy x

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »
Hi from one Penny to another!!
Can't wait to see Alfie pix.  Be warned, this site is VERY addictive!  I have been a member for more years than I would like to admit, and have used it for advice for anything and everything over the years and COL haven't let me down yet......
I sadly no longer have a cocker, but have 4 other dogs and regularly come on here for a chat, for information or just to see what everyone else is up to (not to mention to coo and get broody over the gorgeous cockers on here!!!)
Welcome and enjoy!
xxx
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline pennylopey

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 08:34:40 PM »
Thanks everyone, I finally put some pics up!

Still not sure about crating, I felt at my wits end and thought it'd help me too, but then last night was wonderful and he was so good I decided to plod on as he seems happy enough. Typically, he's being a little monster tonight, I just hope my fireplace can survive his puppyhood!  :o

Penny x